PDA

View Full Version : How accurate are the pop reports for SGC and PSA?

Luke
11-09-2014, 02:35 PM
I've recently started checking out the pop reports to help me understand the T206 set better. I was just on SGC looking up "Overall Hindu". They list 6 cards graded, but my 35 is not listed. This is kind of concerning as the difference between 6 and 7 graded is somewhat significant. And, if they missed my card, how many others might they have missed?

Does anyone have any idea as to how accurate these reports are?

swarmee
11-09-2014, 02:38 PM
have the designation on the flip? Because they started adding more and more information to the T206 flip over time. If yours just says "T206", then that's one reason it's not there as a SGC 5. You may need to send it back to be reholdered to get it listed as a Hindu back on the Pop report.

Luke
11-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Yeah, it's the new holder a 35 (2.5) half-grade.

buymycards
11-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Hi Luke, to answer your original question - the pop reports aren't even close.

Rick

DerekMichael
11-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Hi Luke, to answer your original question - the pop reports aren't even close.

Rick

+100

I know of several people who have said they will routinely crack cards out and resubmit them as many times as in necessary until they get the grade they desire. The scariest part is that it seemed to work in many cases.

For me, I use pop reports only as a very loose guideline, and the longer I have collected, the less and less I care about their relevance.

They are not accurate.

Bigb13
11-09-2014, 04:06 PM
Since a lot of cards get resubmited to a different company say SGC to Psa that would make it less sgc cards that they say they have graded. In other words say 10 card of a card are graded by sgc 5 are broken out and sent to Psa for grading and they have 15 already that would give Psa 20 and sgc 5 but we will never know

Luke
11-09-2014, 04:41 PM
I assume the numbers are going to be off because of cracking and re-submitting. That part makes sense, but missing a card that they graded in the last three months (I know this because it has the new flip) is pretty bad.

steve B
11-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Since the new website started the search has been a bit odd. Your card is probably in the database, but might only get found by certain searches. So if you search by player it would be there, but searching by the back won't find it. A lot of searches I try turn up absolutely nothing, which I'm certain isn't right.

I miss the old one that had all T206s together. It was horribly slow between pages, but at least they were all in one list.

Steve B

Rollingstone206
11-09-2014, 05:22 PM

steve B
11-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Maybe if they offered a free grading of a less expensive card when you send in 10 flips plus S+H?

Steve B

bn2cardz
11-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Do you know when it was graded? What was the cert #? If you know that you can plug it in and see how they have it in their database and see if there is an error.

I have noticed a lag sometimes in cards I have graded being entered in.

Republicaninmass
11-10-2014, 11:00 AM
Maybe if they offered a free grading of a less expensive card when you send in 10 flips plus S+H?

Steve B

+1

I'm saving mine, until this happens!

1952boyntoncollector
11-10-2014, 11:00 AM
the higher the grade the more accurate the report..people arent resubmitting psa 8s compared to people resubmitting psa 6s to get psa 7s...

Luke
11-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Do you know when it was graded? What was the cert #? If you know that you can plug it in and see how they have it in their database and see if there is an error.

I have noticed a lag sometimes in cards I have graded being entered in.

Where can you enter the cert# ? I can't seem to find it on the site. Here's my card:

bn2cardz
11-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Where can you enter the cert# ? I can't seem to find it on the site. Here's my card:

The only way I found to do it is through the registry. I have a "testing" registry purely for checking cert numbers. Once you have a registry you can "view cert" and then get the information from there.

On this card it shows accurately as Hindu, so other than them not getting it entered into the POP yet the only thing I can think of is that it got put in as the wrong grade. You may be able to contact them about this... then again I have been contacting them for months about fixing my email address because when I try to change it it doesn't save, and I haven't heard anything.

Luke
11-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Thanks Andy

HOF Auto Rookies
11-10-2014, 06:02 PM
Not that accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DixieBaseball
11-11-2014, 02:41 PM
I find the Pop reports for SGC & PSA to be pretty accurate for T210, T211, and T213-1's. I have done a lot of research on these 3 groups and other than a little ambiguity from the sites, patterns can be discerned allowing you to understand scarcity and the like.

As for T206, I wouldn't touch that as it is out of my scope of collecting and honestly the information provided is probably better than having no information, so it does help to some degree depending on what you collect.

ls7plus
11-11-2014, 04:26 PM
I find the Pop reports for SGC & PSA to be pretty accurate for T210, T211, and T213-1's. I have done a lot of research on these 3 groups and other than a little ambiguity from the sites, patterns can be discerned allowing you to understand scarcity and the like.

+1. The pop reports are simply one tool to be employed in an arsenal of knowledge and study to obtain a relatively good feel as to scarcity. In coins, the percentage of coins extant generally increases with their value, and I believe the same basic trend applies to cards.

Best to all,

Larry