PDA

View Full Version : Other reference books

rdwyer
11-08-2014, 08:16 PM
Other than the basics, (Encyclopedia Of Baseball Cards, The Monster, etc)
what other reference books are out there for vintage cards? Wasn't there one done for Goudeys? What was the name of the book for Old Judges? TIA

midmo
11-08-2014, 09:22 PM
The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin & Company. It's an awesome book. Highly recommended.

ethicsprof
11-09-2014, 09:37 AM
same here.
a fabulous book that I cannot do without.

all the best,
barry

Koufax32fan
11-09-2014, 10:55 AM
There are so many books that can be helpful, depending on your specific interests. I find myself reaching for the Standard Catalog of Vintage Baseball Cards all the time to learn more about obscure (at least to me) issues and to get a sense for what players are in what set and at what cost.

David Cycleback's Judging the Authenticity of Early Baseball Cards provided this newbie to pre-War cards with some good tips for safely enjoying this hobby.

I bought a used copy of Hager's Comprehensive Price Guide to Rare Baseball Cards that also gives a bit of history to many sets. It also has his recommendations for how much "potential" and "risk" there are to sets/cards. It is interesting to look at his thoughts with the benefit of hindsight.

Lew Lipset's books (which can be found in 1 volume) are classics and while somewhat "dated" (without the benefit of new discoveries) offer great information to collectors.

On the non-card front, I have enjoyed Mike Shannon's Baseball Books: A Collector's Guide, A Portrait of Baseball Photography by Fogel, Oser and Yee, and Mike Egner's Vintage Pennant Price Guide II.

rdwyer
11-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the help. I also have Hager's Comprehensive Price Guide to Rare Baseball Cards. Was there a book on Goudeys?