PDA

View Full Version : I need help to identify old polo grounds world series pre game photo

EVAJOY91
11-08-2014, 11:35 AM
An original 5" x 7" photo at the polo grounds which i purchased with an original 5" x 7" carl buckeye, tris speaker, ty cobb, max wilde in their hunting outfits photograph (posted in separate thread) need help to identify the gentlemen at the polo grounds. Thank you for any info.

vintagesportscollector
11-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Guessing 1913 World Series. The gentleman to the far left appears to be Ardolph Loges Kline, who was acting Mayor of New York at the time. Try doing some research on New York and Philadelphia politicians or executives who may likely have attended.

vintagesportscollector
11-08-2014, 02:32 PM
On further thought this could be 1911 or 1912 World Series. If so person second to the left appears to be New York Mayor William Jay Gaynor, who died in Sept. 1913, and to the far left is Loges Kline who would have been in Gaynor's administration.

vintagesportscollector
11-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Bingo. Found the photo. Apr. 1913 Polo Grounds. See link...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8623220@N02/2635672845/

Photo shows (left to right) Captain Hill, New York City Mayor William Jay Gaynor, unidentified man, and Col. John Whalen.

yanks12025
11-08-2014, 02:49 PM
So Evajoy when you going to answer the question about you consigning a stolen item to auction??

EVAJOY91
11-08-2014, 03:01 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH vintagesportscollector. MEMBERS LIKE YOU ARE INVALUABLE TO THIS SITE. THIS IS A GREAT SIT FOR INFORMATION. YOU GUYS ARE THE BACKBONE TO THIS HOBBY. :)

vintagesportscollector
11-08-2014, 03:14 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH vintagesportscollector. MEMBERS LIKE YOU ARE INVALUABLE TO THIS SITE. THIS IS A GREAT SIT FOR INFORMATION. YOU GUYS ARE THE BACKBONE TO THIS HOBBY. :)

You are welcome, but all I do is read and learn from the outstanding members of this board like Brock, and so many others. Take a lesson that with a little effort you can do some research on your own too. All I did was google "Polo Grounds 1913", and looked through the images - you could have done that.

Michael B
11-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Unfortunately he does not want to do that. He would rather have others do his work so he can then list it on ebay as a rare photo with a price of $500 or more. Take a look at the prior conversation on the Rangers photo. Told by several including myself that it was not taken in Lake Placid but rather in either Switzerland or France. He then lists it on ebay stating that Net54 members identified it as Lake Placid.

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=195142

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-RANGERS-ORIGINAL-PHOTO-AT-LAKE-PLACID-NOT-N-Y-AMERICANS-HOCKEY-TEAM-/131330388652?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item1e93e6b2ac

felada
11-09-2014, 05:12 AM
Third from the left looks like comiskey and secind from the right is definitely joe Jackson. And I am pretty sure I see a young babe Ruth in the stands

gnaz01
11-09-2014, 05:35 AM
Third from the left looks like comiskey and secind from the right is definitely joe Jackson. And I am pretty sure I see a young babe Ruth in the stands

Nah, ears don't match ;)

yanks12025
11-09-2014, 06:36 AM

lol:D

vintagesportscollector
11-09-2014, 07:30 AM
Unfortunately he does not want to do that. He would rather have others do his work so he can then list it on ebay as a rare photo with a price of $500 or more. Take a look at the prior conversation on the Rangers photo. Told by several including myself that it was not taken in Lake Placid but rather in either Switzerland or France. He then lists it on ebay stating that Net54 members identified it as Lake Placid.

Definitely NOT Lake Placid. I ski there every year, as well as go up there for college hockey tournaments, and there are no rocky mountains like that anywhere near Lake Placid - in fact no where on the US East Coast is like that.

Evajoy, I suggest you change your Rangers photo listing. If you show your willingness to do the right thing, and use the information given to you correctly (not just selectively pick what fits your story), then you may see more willingness from from others on the board to help you with items like your "Carl" Buckeye question - which, by the way, is very easy IF YOU JUST LOOK CLOSELY AT YOUR PHOTO AND THEN GOOGLE SEARCH - I mean really look, it is right in front of you.

Runscott
11-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Joe, you should charge this lazy guy for doing his work for him. He did not have time to google, but he had time to list it on ebay for $500. He starts these individual threads for each of his photos, purely as advertisement for his sales. All have been listed on ebay after he first has us do his research for him.

I guess he supplies hits for the website advertisers, but that's about it.

Michael B
11-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Definitely NOT Lake Placid. I ski there every year, as well as go up there for college hockey tournaments, and there are no rocky mountains like that anywhere near Lake Placid - in fact no where on the US East Coast is like that. .

Yes, I agree with you on that. I have been to LP many times for Olympic related events - 1998 Ski team trials, women's ice hockey team tournaments and games and my Olympic collectors club shows. The mountains are actually too old and nothing in the east comes anywhere near that age of them.

slidekellyslide
11-09-2014, 09:05 PM
HELLO JOE!!! Haven't seen you around these parts in a while! :)

soccersaver97
11-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Nah, ears don't match ;)

Doesn't matter, just use the points system!! :D