PDA

View Full Version : Auto and photo matting question

w7imel
11-06-2014, 03:41 PM
I recently purchased a check and a photo and would like to have them matted in size 11x14 for ease of frame selection my question is this, How hard is it to learn to matte something or am I better off just leaving it to someone with experience. And about what would something like this cost? Thanks

Klrdds
11-06-2014, 05:03 PM
I personally think it depends upon the value of the autograph in monetary terms as well as its meaning to you personally. I would not pay to frame it professionally if the cost exceeds those 2 things. However , when I frame an item that meets those things I always let a professional do it. I may help with lay out but never with actual framing or materials. Always acid free materials and UV resistant or archival glass with a good hanger.

w7imel
11-06-2014, 05:08 PM
its nothing crazy I have a charlie root check (20 bucks) and a really neat 8x10 of charlie (7 bucks) just thought it might make a neat piece to display in my rec room if it wasnt to expensive to do. Dont need to spend a fortune on it

midmo
11-06-2014, 05:35 PM
To give you an idea of price of a professional shop, I just dropped off a vintage team photo that I think was 14x22 to get nicely matted and framed w/ UV glass and whatnot. They quoted me $130 (which I'm ok with on this one).

For something like what you're framing you'll probably want to do it yourself. I've used a cheap matte cutter (or exacto knife and a ruler) to modify mattes of Target/Wal-Mart frames and they come out looking pretty good. Or get a cheap frame and see if a frame shop will cut a custom matte for a small fee.

Lordstan
11-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Michael,
Framing and matting can be as easy or as hard as you wish to make it. You don't need a frame shop to do anything. You can buy acid free archival mat board, UV glass, and other conservation grade supplies at many places including both brick and mortar stores like "Dick Blick" as well as online stores. Don't get me wrong. Most frame shops do good work and it is easier for them to do fancy and intricate frame jobs, but most straight forward jobs can be done at home easily.
Here are a few example of ones I did at home. After them is a link to a thread I started about this very subject.

These three are 14x18 in size. Mats are full archival grade as is tape and backing board. I don't use UV glass as all the lights in my mancave are LED. I had them installed specifically due the fact that they emit virtually no UV radiation.
Costs for each:
Frame $25. Matboard and supplies $10.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/Mancave/Cobb2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/Mancave/wagner2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/Mancave/Cy.jpg

Link to thread
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=168495

Hope this helps,
Mark

jgmp123
11-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Hey Michael,
For a low priced item I would recommend just having matting cut at a local shop ($15-$20)...for a higher priced item, I would let the framer do it. They are the expert and will provide museum quality glass, acid fee matte, etc. Plus the quality is second to none if you have a good framer.

I paid my local framer $68 for the pieces I have posted and that includes everything. I drop it off and tell her how I want it. Then $68 later I pick up a beautiful piece.

Runscott
11-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Make friends with someone at a frame shop - they will work with you and even give you suggestions on inexpensive ways to do it yourself. Some things I do myself (Ruth, Jackson and Mantle/Berra displays, and paid for museum quality glass), some I do some of the work (1905 Pirates display - I acquired the frame, did the calligraphy, added filler photo piece, framer did all else) and some I leave completely to the pros (my Ted Williams,Dom Dimaggio, Bobby Doerr display).

The bottom line is that having museum-quality glass cut to a special size will crush you when you are trying to do it yourself. Other than that, it's just a matter of having an artistic eye and buying a mat cutter.

Teamgluck
11-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Great Job Mark! If you ever make a video that would be very helpful and let me know!

w7imel
11-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Thanks guys your the best.....after telling my wife about this post and ideas I had she then informs me her cousin does matting and stuff as a side job...haha problem solved it seems. I will send pictures when done.

Lordstan
11-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Great Job Mark! If you ever make a video that would be very helpful and let me know!
Thank you.
In the thread that I linked to, I posted links to a few videos on matting basics. Most of it my time is spent planning the layout and then measuring it out. Once you have it laid out on the back of the mat, cutting is easy. Remember to use the old woodworking axiom, measure twice, cut once.
If you can make friends with someone in a frame shop, it certainly is easier, especially for fancier designs.

Runscott
11-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Thank you.
Remember to use the old woodworking axiom, measure twice, cut once.

Funny, the first project I ever attempted was to frame the 1967 Philly Gum Cowboys cards (plus a few extras). I cut holes for each card - by hand with an x-acto knife. I measured and measured and measured, practiced cutting bevels, getting depth right, etc., etc. Then finally began cutting. Perfect the first time. I've never done a job that good since, and I'm sure it's because since then I have never followed Mark's rule of preparation as well as the first time.

Bpm0014
11-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Mark, awesome display for the Wagner check. That check was mine at one time. Your display looks a million times better than mine ever did. Seriously, great job!

Brendan

steve B
11-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Even more complicated stuff is pretty easy after you do the first couple.

I do almost everything myself, after a pro shop wrecked a poster my sister was having them do. (Before then too, but not something poster size. )

I did this batch of stuff, a very thin paper poster, photo racing license and medals from a cyclist in the 1920's. Took three layers of matboard to get the holes deep enough for the medals. I got no glare uv blocking glass and a frame kit from a local frame shop which has since closed. The mat came from a local craft store that does framing. (same chain the messed up, but the easiest source of matboard) The thin stuff is held by archival photo corners, and the poster has a stiff Mylar sheet helping keep it in place. The medals are sewn to the backmost piece with nylon fishing line. Not the perfect solution, but it's almost invisible and good enough for metal.

It only took a couple hours.

Steve B

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=3871

mcgwirecom
11-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Just found a ticket stub from the "Rudy" game. I decided to mat it with an autographed picture. Not done yet. I'm gonna put something else on there but I haven't decided what. Maybe a plaque or something else...