PDA

View Full Version : Fleer Firsts

Jayworld
11-05-2014, 03:14 PM
I have just started collecting this cool Laughlin art set from Fleer. I remember my mom buying me a couple of packs back in 1974; each pack came with a card and two "cloth" logo stickers. Those two cards are long gone, but I found one of the two on eBay that I used to have and purchased it, along with two other cards.

Anyone else collect these, and if so, what is the correct size of Ultra Pro sheet to use, as they don't fit in the 8-pocket pages....

Thanks!

ALR-bishop
11-05-2014, 04:21 PM
I think I have all Fleer sets in these years, including this one. See "Fleer Sticker Blog" An amazing resource for any Fleer collector. There are an amazing number of Fleer sets during this period, more insert and odd sets after their 63 and later 81 and on sets. I think I have all the sets from this period in binders. PM me for a binder/sheet photo of that set if you want to see it

laughlinfan
11-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Hey Jay!

Al (as usual - thanks for always being a great source of information for us, Al!) is spot on - the Fleer Sticker Blog Spot is a very good resource for a lot these Fleer sets. All of the Fleer "bottom boards," as I think they were referred, fit nicely in the 6 pocket sheets. As you can probably guess, the slightly larger cards, just as happened with the 65 Football Tall Boys and the 69 and 70 Basketball sets, caused a great majority of these cards to take more than their share of abuse. Bob did get a small volume of sets to sell as part of his deal, and I am guessing Fleer also distributed some complete sets to a few dealers, so usually the nicer sets that turn up every once in a while were sold through that route.

A little bit of info about this set - it was actually produced in 1976 - the 1974 set was the Wildest Plays and Days set - and was sold in the historical spirit of the bicentennial celebrations that were going on. A few items of interest - Bob's newsletter announcing the set, and a scan of cards in the sheet.

laughlinfan
11-05-2014, 05:07 PM
(cont.)

Happy collecting!

Jayworld
11-06-2014, 05:36 AM
Awesome information, as always! I just love this forum!