PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for displaying 1957 Topps team set

jason.1969
11-05-2014, 07:57 AM
A favorite in my collection is my (probably very low grade) 1957 Topps Brooklyn Dodgers team set. Other than a $2 common I just got on eBay to finally complete the set, I pieced together all the other non-HOF cards by going to conventions in the late 1980s and thumbing through stacks and stacks of cards--still the most satisfying way to build a set short of opening packs.

What I hate, though, is that the cards just sit in a box. I'm looking for any suggestions for an affordable way to showcase the cards that doesn't ultimately damage them. (E.g., a local framing shop gave me a bid of $650 AND said they'd need to apply small dabs of glue to the back of each card!)

There are 26 cards in all: 24 player cards, a team card, and a Dodgers Sluggers card. And if 27 would help the display, I can put in my homemade '57 Jackie Robinson. And I am also happy to add bits of flair like my Ebbets Field postcard if it helps somehow.

If any of you have put together a comparable team set display you're proud of, I'd love to see a picture or steal ideas.

almostdone
11-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Here are two displays I put together a while back of two of my favorite players to read about. Basically for both I took mini snaptite cases and attached them to the background with command strips. They hold well and if they need to be moved they can be without any damage to the case or cards.
You can rearrange the cards in any configuration you can think of before placing them. A nice frame and colored background can be bought at a craft store fairly cheaply and then use your imagination. Let me know if you like or want any other help. I can't afford expensive cards but I do like to get creative in displaying what I have.
Drew

almostdone
11-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Here is the Clemente

Gr8Beldini
11-06-2014, 07:26 AM
Since it is a lower grade set, why not go to a craft store (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc.) and buy a large floating frame. Basically a glass sandwich with a small black border around it. If lucky you might be able to find a blue or red border. I use them for various family heirlooms (usually my daughter's Disney displays); once sealed the contents will not shift unless the frame is dropped (but then if an expensive frame is dropped, I imagine the contents could be damaged just as easily). It would look killer and cost very little.

jason.1969
11-06-2014, 08:09 AM
These are good ideas and examples. I think I can make it work. Will post a pic when I finish the display. Jason

the 'stache
11-06-2014, 02:22 PM
High quality scans of all the cards in the set, front and back, displayed on a personal website. There everybody can enjoy them. :)

jason.1969
11-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Took me two hours and about $40 at JoAnn's. I may have overdone it on the glitter...but looks better in real life than in my pic.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/10/135a8a7429f921698c8a49b924fa0e1e.jpg

whelenfan
11-11-2014, 08:57 PM
looks great