PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court of the United States

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
11-04-2014, 07:53 PM
I visited for the first time and I highly recommend it. Watching oral arguments in person is drastically different than listening to them. The justices are generally expressive and you get a sense of their alliances.

SmokyBurgess
11-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Do you think it's time to have the cases broadcast live so everyone can watch??

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
11-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Do you think it's time to have the cases broadcast live so everyone can watch??

No. I think televised proceedings lead to grandstanding by all parties involved.

t206blogcom
11-10-2014, 10:36 AM
Welcome to DC! I've been on a tour, but never sat in on arguments.

Have you sat in on Congress yet or any subcommittees? It's an interesting experience if you haven't. The first I went to was an eye opener. Only the chairman of the subcommittee showed up. The person making a case about whatever it was started to talk, then the chairman asked if he could submit his testimony in writing, then left the room. Committee adjourned. 5 mins total.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
11-10-2014, 03:27 PM
Welcome to DC! I've been on a tour, but never sat in on arguments.

Have you sat in on Congress yet or any subcommittees? It's an interesting experience if you haven't. The first I went to was an eye opener. Only the chairman of the subcommittee showed up. The person making a case about whatever it was started to talk, then the chairman asked if he could submit his testimony in writing, then left the room. Committee adjourned. 5 mins total.
Haven't been to Congress but I may if my schedule permits in the future.

egri
02-25-2015, 03:55 PM
I sat in on arguments a few years ago when my mom was getting sworn in to practice in front of them. One of the justices fell asleep (guess who) but the others grilled the lawyers. I was impressed with the way the lawyers responded to some of them.

clydepepper
03-02-2015, 04:45 PM
Haven't been to Congress but I may if my schedule permits in the future.

- said the Congressman.