PDA

View Full Version : Is this Buck Barker's writing?

NewEnglandBaseBallist
11-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Just purchased this T212-2 off eBay and am curious if anyone thinks these are Buck's notations:

Leon
11-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Here is a letter he wrote....might compare.

brianp-beme
11-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Here is a letter he wrote....might compare.

Yes, it Buck's writing, as I have many of his backside scribbled up cards.

Brian

NewEnglandBaseBallist
11-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Thanks Leon and Brian. I thought it might be when I first saw it. Very happy to have won it! :)

JollyElm
11-03-2014, 05:24 PM
I'm in no way an expert, but when you look at the back of the card, the first thing that stands out to me are the couple (few?) of lower case f's and how they look similar to the writing sample provided with that downward slant of the crossing line.

Mountaineer1999
11-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Do we want Buck Barker to write on the back of our cards?

brianp-beme
11-04-2014, 06:52 AM
As I mentioned in my previous post, Buck yeah! The man was tireless in researching the ID of players in many vintage sets, especially Zeenuts. I personally believe his handwriting on a blank back card like a Zeenut makes that card ten times more interesting...he used the cards as note pads to identify and document a player's career while he was doing his extensive research at the Sporting News.

Brian

cardinalcollector
11-04-2014, 06:58 AM
Do we want Buck Barker to write on the back of our cards?

Buck Barker was a pioneer collector who did a lifetime of baseball card research in the early, early days of "organized" card collecting. He wrote stats and personal information on the backs of his cards.

It is an honor for most collectors to have a card from his collection.

cardinalcollector
11-04-2014, 07:04 AM
As I mentioned in my previous post, Buck yeah! The man was tireless in researching the ID of players in many vintage sets, especially Zeenuts. I personally believe his handwriting on a blank back card like a Zeenut makes that card ten times more interesting...he used the cards as note pads to identify and document a player's career while he was doing his extensive research at the Sporting News.

Brian

Brian, nice post.

Buck befriended me when I was a teenager hanging around the early St. Louis card shows. We were talking about the 1963 Fleer set at a show in the mid 1970s and I mentioned I had never seen the checklist card for that set. A week later I got one in the mail. Compliments of Buck Barker. :)

nickedson
11-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Randy, I totally agree about Buck Barker's impact on the hobby. Back in those days (early 1970s), guys like Buck and Frank Nagy not only offered advice to young collectors like myself, but also gave away cards they know you needed. If there was a Mt. Rushmore for collectors, I think Buck and Frank would be on it... at least in my book.