PDA

View Full Version : 1927 Exhibit Rogers Hornsby Auto in MEARS auction

vintagehofrookies
10-30-2014, 09:05 AM
http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/1927_Rogers_Hornsby_St__Louis_Browns_Exhibit_Card_-LOT83464.aspx

Beautiful auto but damn is it me or is this auction price way too low? I would expect this to be around a couple grand, right?

HOF Auto Rookies
10-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Well I was going to bid...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klrdds
10-30-2014, 11:35 AM
I do not know enough to know why , but my personal opinion is that the "R" in Rogers looks nothing like any "R" I have ever seen before in his signature. I would not bid on this piece for that reason, and maybe that is the reason why there are not more bids. I have only 4 Hornsby autographs and that does not look like any of mine.
I too would like to hear from others with their opinion on this .
The bidding still has 2 more days so it may go higher.

packs
10-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Is the OP the seller? Usually it's not cool to post about an auction before it ends.

HOF Auto Rookies
10-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Is the OP the seller?

Wouldn't be the least surprised

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lordstan
10-30-2014, 01:08 PM
While I am no Hornsby expert, I agree with Kevin about the "R".

I don't know if the OP is the seller. If he is the seller, he can't be pleased with a collector like Kevin's opinion now being public

Klrdds
10-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Mark,
I did not consider that the OP could be the seller, hope I did not ruffle any feathers but I believe that he opened the door to opinions on it. Am I correct?

Lordstan
10-30-2014, 01:47 PM
Kevin,
I didn't mean to imply you did anything wrong. Regardless of whether or not he is the seller, he did open it up for opinions.

I'm not accusing the OP as I have no idea if he is or isn't the seller. It's just that in general, I think sellers do need to be careful when they post links to their auctions because of this exact type situation.

Leon
10-30-2014, 03:37 PM
OP told me he is not the seller. I asked immediately after the thread went up (and I moved it from the main front page of the forum to here). I thought it peculiar too.

theshleps
10-30-2014, 05:13 PM
I don't like the R buy I have seen some that the R are pretty close to it so I wouldn't discount it being OK
I think Mears is not known for autographs so most autograph guys do not bother checking Mears auctions (I know I don't). So that could be why it is so low.

btcarfagno
10-31-2014, 11:50 AM
It is the flow of the R that concerns me. I had a circa 1929 Hornsby and the flow of the R was pretty much the exact opposite of this one.

Tom C

djson1
10-31-2014, 08:03 PM
Personally, I think a couple of grand for this would be too much...especially considering the unconvincing "Roger" in the signature. Aside from the "R" people pointed out, I also feel like the flow of the signing of the "Roger" and the "Hornsby" were done inconsistently. Granted, Hornsby signed his first name usually smaller than his last name (at least in samples I have seen), but this one is just a little too off for me to be comfortable with it. Just my 2 cents.