PDA

View Full Version : OT - Publishing a children's book

cubsguy1969
10-24-2014, 12:13 PM
Hi, everyone.

Leon said it would be OK for me to make this off-topic post to share some news. (Thanks, Leon.) I published a children's book called "Little & Big" that was released this past Tuesday. Maybe a few of you with kids, grandkids, nephews, nieces, etc. would be interested. You know, just in time for the holidays. :) It's a Bigfoot story set in my home state of West Virginia and intended for the middle grades. I'm going the indie publishing route through Amazon's Createspace and you can find the book on Amazon.com if you want to take a look. Search my full name "Robert L. Fouch." I've also built a web site, www.littleandbigbooks.com, and have a whole series in mind. I got a very positive review from Kirkus Reviews, one of the respected companies in the book industry. I'm pretty confident in the quality of the book and think kids will really enjoy it. And the illustrator I found is terrific.

The book actually has a small baseball card connection. There is a part where the main character (a boy nicknamed Little who has the ability to communicate with animals) is explaining to the Bigfoot how humans like to collect things and he mentions that he used to collect baseball cards. And Bigfoot, who Little calls Big, has made a habit of keeping human objects he's found over the centuries he's lived. A Bigfoot collector! So in truth, this post isn't actually off-topic at all. ;)

Anyway, since I'm doing the book myself, I'm just trying to get the word out any way I can. So if you're interested, please check it out. And let me know what you think. Best regards.

Rob

Shoebox
10-24-2014, 12:38 PM
I read the title and thought you wrote a book about the Waners until I read further.

Best of luck with the book.

packs
10-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Very cool and congrats!

Glad to see fellow writers on Net54. I just had my first short story published this year.

JollyRoger
10-24-2014, 07:41 PM
Love to hear about stories like this from a fellow West Virginian! I may just have to order this book for my daughter (she's 11).

ethicsprof
10-24-2014, 07:48 PM
congratulations on the publication!

all the best,
barry

majordanby
10-25-2014, 08:46 AM
wonderful. best of luck with the sales and i hope you write some more.

cubsguy1969
10-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. And Marshall, where are you from in West Virginia? I'm originally from Petersburg, now in New york. and yes, your daughter is the perfect age for the book. My son's 11 also and reads constantly, much to my delight. Haven't been able to get him into baseball cards, unfortunately. But I'll take what I can get.

JollyRoger
10-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. And Marshall, where are you from in West Virginia?

We live in Fairmont, but also own a summer home in Doddridge County on Crystal Lake. I think our daughter would thoroughly enjoy the book. She likes that TV show about the Bigfoot hunters! She's not into card collecting at all, but loves going to Pittsburgh Pirates games.

cubsguy1969
10-26-2014, 08:26 PM
I have a cousin who went to Fairmont State. And my grandparents on both sides were from Preston County, not too far from there. So I'm quite familiar with the area. I miss West Virginia. Love where I am in New York now, but West Virginia was a wonderful place to grow up.
Should you decide to get your daughter the book, I hope she enjoys it. And if she does, tell all her friends! :)
Thanks again.
Rob