PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to protect a card?

JWBlue
10-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Why type of sleeve is the best to use?

Should I put it in a sleeve and then an acrylic holder?

Bestdj777
10-22-2014, 07:46 PM
I use penny sleeves and then top loaders. I used to put them in the bags as well as an extra protection but don't use them anymore--I store them in a fire safe so no longer worried about water damage.

ls7plus
10-24-2014, 06:28 PM
For raw cards, I still like plastic sleeves inside a lucite or acrylic screw-down holder--just tighten the screws finger tight only (the card's not going to fall out!) and you won't damage it.

All the best,

Larry

the 'stache
10-24-2014, 10:05 PM
It depends on what is being done with the card.

For shipping to Beckett, PSA or SGC, I would use a Cardboard Gold card saver. Card Saver Is are good for standard sized cards. Card Saver IIs for tobacco sized. It's easy to slide the card in, and while in transit, the card doesn't move around at all, meaning the card won't be damaged. No chance the corners or edges get roughed up. Stack the card savers one on top of another, then put them between two pieces of cardboard, and use painter's tape (blue 3M) to secure the cardboard. The Card Savers are also good for scanning if you don't want to risk removing the card.

For storing just commons, a box lied flat, and the commons go in penny sleeves.

For more valuable cards, Ultra Pro penny sleeve, top loader and team bags. I still use a team bag to make sure the card doesn't pop out. I'm a klutz, so I don't take any chances.

More expensive cards I will put in Ultra Pro One Touch magnet case. I make sure to use the cases with the gold magnet, as those include UV protection. All my Bowman Chrome prospect autograph cards go in these 35 pt magnet cases. Once inside the case, I use an Ultra Pro One touch bag. These have only come out within the last year, and they are a much better fit than the graded card bags I used to use.