PDA

View Full Version : REA winners and losers

t206hound
10-19-2014, 08:50 AM
Well, once again, I was a loser. The one lot I THOUGHT I would have a chance at went a little too high for me (although if the winner of #189 wants to move the Cobb, I'm a buyer).

I was really surprised at the (relatively low) prices of the Cy Young miscut (slabbed at SGC20 went for only $500 more than the beater Doolin from a year ago) and the Mattern run with a proof that was $3750 before the hammer. I really wish I would have thrown another bid at that one.

Any one else want to share the wins or misses?

btcarfagno
10-19-2014, 09:03 AM
Was beat out overnight on lot 308 with the Snodgrass signed T202. I was at my max though so I am fine seeing it go.

Tom C

ullmandds
10-19-2014, 09:03 AM
Not too many surprises here at a first quick glance.

Strong Prices:

Ruth postcard
Certain T206 front back combos a certain someone or two want/need
E102 Cobb
T216 Bender pair
T215 Ball pair

Weak

1928 r315 ruth...actually normal...that absurd sale for like 8-9K was freakish

More common T206 even some w/tougher backs have returned to more "normal" prices. Lot 1402 seems to have gone cheap. Boy has the "rare" t100 anonymous bb player fallen since it's introduction to the hobby.

darwinbulldog
10-19-2014, 09:15 AM
I lost the T211 group after the fair warning email went out. Didn't win anything, but I'm happy with the price my Musial rookie went for.

atx840
10-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Had been searching for that exact Chase CB for a while, only one I've seen. Was top bidder until 3:30am, couldn't justify one more.

The hunt continues :D

Peter_Spaeth
10-19-2014, 09:26 AM
I was hoping to win the DiMaggio Orcajo postcard but came up short. So a loser, once again.

Griffins
10-19-2014, 09:35 AM
Loser on the E91A and E91B sets. If the winner wants to sell any I"m interested.

calvindog
10-19-2014, 09:35 AM
Had been searching for that exact Chase CB for a while, only one I've seen. Was top bidder until 3:30am, couldn't justify one more.

That was some price for that card.

oldcardboard
10-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Won #722(Ty Cobb signed check) Gonna reframe with a T3,t206s,e95 etc...

Lost- too many to list.

Peter_Spaeth
10-19-2014, 09:50 AM
Speaking of strong prices, 2750 plus vig for an SGC 82 53 Bowman Mantle with stains??:confused:

lug-nut
10-19-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm a winner!

was it just me or did several cards go for less than usual?

I won two cards I expected to lose, i'm happy my bids held

e107collector
10-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Thoughts on the Ruth rookie - Lot #1?

I felt the card would've gone close to $100K, based on prior sales of similar graded Ruth rookies recently.

I know the card had a blank back, print line, and was off center, but do board members think that the recent Ruth craze the last 2 years might be cooling off? Thoughts?

Tony

ullmandds
10-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Personally I think the ruth rookie went for the right amount. IT seems latley there has been a ruth rookie in almost every major auction...this is not a super rare card...and apparently there are only so many people willing to spend high 5 figures on this card.

I see more of a stabilization of early ruth cards...esp the more common ones...but I still think the tougher ones...as well as the high grade will continue to sell for big money.

gnaz01
10-19-2014, 10:31 AM
I won this

prewarsports
10-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Cameo Pepsin Sockalexis........

My wife is going to flip out but its been a Holy Grail for several years!

Rhys

z28jd
10-19-2014, 10:46 AM

My wife is going to flip out but its been a Holy Grail for several years!

Rhys

Congrats Rhys, always good to knock off that top card(pin) and that's a nice, tough one.

I didn't win anything, but my dad got the T206 three card lot with the Lundgren Chi/EPDG. That card will be for sale here soon

Bicem
10-19-2014, 10:46 AM
Congrats Rhys, huge pickup.

Love that Red Sox piece Greg!

Sean
10-19-2014, 11:00 AM

Sorry to hear that Chris. But at least you gave it your best shot. :(

Sean
10-19-2014, 11:05 AM
I was really surprised at the (relatively low) prices of the Cy Young miscut (slabbed at SGC20 went for only $500 more than the beater Doolin from a year ago) and the Mattern run with a proof that was $3750 before the hammer. I really wish I would have thrown another bid at that one.

Any one else want to share the wins or misses?

Erick, those are the two cards that I went after and didn't get. I really liked the Mattern proof.
But I did get the T214 Victory Frank Smith, so I can't complain.

Leon
10-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Erick, those are the two cards that I went after and didn't get. I really liked the Mattern proof.

I think I was the 2nd ? under bidder on that one. Nice card for rarity and grade. I have a couple t214s and probably would have bought it to resell, then kept it, so it's good I didn't go higher :)..

egbeachley
10-19-2014, 11:26 AM

I felt the card would've gone close to $100K, based on prior sales of similar graded Ruth rookies recently.

I know the card had a blank back, print line, and was off center, but do board members think that the recent Ruth craze the last 2 years might be cooling off? Thoughts?

Tony

If you had wagered that the Ruth Rookie graded 70 would fetch a higher price than the 1932 President McKinley non-sport graded 60 (lot #15), you lose!

Peter_Spaeth
10-19-2014, 11:29 AM
The McKinley consignor did well to renege on the $9.99 ebay auction, it seems. :D:D

kkkkandp
10-19-2014, 11:36 AM

My wife is going to flip out but its been a Holy Grail for several years.

Excellent pickup!

You know, of course, that your wife won't flip out if you buy her something now! :D

wolf441
10-19-2014, 11:43 AM

Nice pick up Sean. I had a bid in but was out of the running more than a week ago. Oh well.

10-19-2014, 11:52 AM
I won the Topsy Hartsel lot (#140) with the E105, after losing out on (almost) the same exact lot earlier this year. If anyone is in need of the E101 or E104-1s, let me know.

Sean
10-19-2014, 11:52 AM
I think I was the 2nd ? under bidder on that one. Nice card for rarity and grade. I have a couple t214s and probably would have bought it to resell, then kept it, so it's good I didn't go higher :)..

Hey Leon, I've only bought two cards in REA auctions, and you were the underbidder on both of them. :)

mrvster
10-19-2014, 11:57 AM
the downey yellow brown T206 printer's scrap went fairly cheap.....under 2 k was a super bargain...it was very clean front...those yellow browns are so undervalued right now, until collectors realize that downey is not possible with that back combo, because these sc 's didn't receive the overstrike....:eek:

I thought the young miscut front T206 would go at least 10k-12k +...

BUT :eek: OMG! the mattern went for a song! I almost crapped my pants when I woke up....was super super cheap!! went for the price of a T206 Blank Back basically.....:eek:....the only thing I can think about that was the "tight" trim on the borders .........I heard from a couple of collectors they wanted more on the card, but :eek:....that lot should have been double at least!:eek:

Chris,

sorry about the Chase....you will find that whale I'm sure my friend:)

glynparson
10-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Won the S81 and the Pinkerton PC Mathewson .

Republicaninmass
10-19-2014, 12:05 PM
The McKinley consignor did well to renege on the $9.99 ebay auction, it seems. :D:D

:eek: 80K

Leon
10-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Hey Leon, I've only bought two cards in REA auctions, and you were the underbidder on both of them. :)

Just to clarify, I wasn't the under bidder but probably 3rd in line in the auction (or 2nd under bidder)... .... It's a really nice card...congrats!!

sycks22
10-19-2014, 12:55 PM
consignment got hammered, picked up a couple goodies though.

Brian Van Horn
10-19-2014, 01:11 PM
My bank account won. I didn't bid.

tribefan
10-19-2014, 01:22 PM
i picked up 1 of the 3 pistol Pete's i tried to get.

Runscott
10-19-2014, 01:27 PM
I won this

Oh man, that is sweet!!!

GregMitch34
10-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Packard CJ 14 went surprisingly high, I have same (a little better) if anyone missed on that and wants mine...

Texxxx
10-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Nothing for me. I wanted the T215 Balls, but went to high.

Exhibitman
10-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Picked up the Mordecai Brown flip book. Nice stuff fellas!

MattyC
10-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Man the centered 53B Mick went strong. The Gehrig rookie did well also. The Ruth landed where I figured considering the centering and print line. If it had just one of those eye appeal issues it would have gone a notch higher.

pawpawdiv9
10-19-2014, 02:23 PM
Lost out on lot 772 Nolan Ryan RC PSA/DNA, was dead centered, tho back was not.
But did WIN!!!
Lot 425 Zeenut Dimaggio rc

kamikidEFFL
10-19-2014, 02:38 PM
There were some spectacular items that went last night for sure. I myself didn't bid on anything as I am remodeling some of the house and working on my vintage coke machine. So funds have been tight as of late. I also have a show at the end of the month I'm saving for so. Anyway, I was disappointed to see that 34 Goudey set sell for so cheap. I have more than that into my set so far and I'm only half way done. Yes mine are all graded and avg about a 5 but man just disappointed to see that.

itjclarke
10-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Lost out on lot 772 Nolan Ryan RC PSA/DNA, was dead centered, tho back was not.
But did WIN!!!
Lot 425 Zeenut Dimaggio rc

Congrats Chris, that is a sweet card. I was the underbidder, and surprised how relatively low it still was in extended bidding. I ended up bidding it up a few increments, but couldn't break through.

x2drich2000
10-19-2014, 03:03 PM
Picked up the Mordecai Brown flip book. Nice stuff fellas!

Nice pick up Adam, I was debating about going after that and/or the Winthrop, but ultimately decided I need to cut back a little on the spending for my personal collection.

DJ

gnaz01
10-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Oh man, that is sweet!!!

Thanks Scott, not the best condition but don't see it come up for sale very often.

DixieBaseball
10-19-2014, 03:35 PM
I'm a winner!

was it just me or did several cards go for less than usual?

I won two cards I expected to lose, i'm happy my bids held

In my opinion several cards went way lower than expected. I have auctioned 2 cards (1 in each fall REA Auction) in the REA Fall Auctions, and have done poorly as a consignor. (Lost several hundred per card) Conversely, I am sure if you are a buyer, you are very happy. For me, I believe REA Spring Auction is a Seller's auction (Great prices realized) and the Fall Auction is a Buyer's Auction. At least for the first 2 Fall auctions... I am sure certain items did exceptionally well as there is always ancillary items that sell for top dollar, but I just didn't do well as a seller in this auction. A bit surprised.

bobbyw8469
10-19-2014, 03:39 PM
In my opinion several cards went way lower than expected. I have auctioned 2 cards (1 in each fall REA Auction) in the REA Fall Auctions, and have done poorly as a consignor. (Lost several hundred per card) Conversely, I am sure if you are a buyer, you are very happy. For me, I believe REA Spring Auction is a Seller's auction (Great prices realized) and the Fall Auction is a Buyer's Auction. At least for the first 2 Fall auctions... I am sure certain items did exceptionally well as there is always ancillary items that sell for top dollar, but I just didn't do well as a seller in this auction. A bit surprised.

If you have only lost several hundred per card, you are actually doing good. Other consignors (myself included) have actually lost quite a bit more than that. My best advice is collect what you love, and just when you think you picked up something cheap, there is always someone picking it up cheaper just around the corner. I equate buying and selling cards much like the stock market.

iwantitiwinit
10-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Exactly. It was a tough week for the market and a tough week for consignors. Is the greater fool theory finally playing out. We might just have hit the limit, people only willing to pay so much for unusual but not truly rare items.

sb1
10-19-2014, 04:01 PM
It depends entirely upon the item consigned. Rarities and ultra scarce/high grade pre-war may do well in REA, but more common material or even lower to mid dollar value items will often do better in smaller auctions where they are more highlighted and not overshadowed by the multiple five figure lots.

pawpawdiv9
10-19-2014, 04:13 PM
Congrats Chris, that is a sweet card. I was the underbidder, and surprised how relatively low it still was in extended bidding. I ended up bidding it up a few increments, but couldn't break through.
Thanks man, Huggins had a SGC 10 last week that sold for 3k, (and also had the throwing card as well-lots #12&13) It was spectacular. I was a fellow underbidder on it.
But i knew i had a shot at this one. You had me at my max. Atcually thought it just top out at 2k, thats why i bumped it just pass it.
I looked at my emails this afternoon, and just knew when i saw those auto-bids, that i had lost, but i got lucky on a low pop specimen.
I talked to MattyC about this one, because i knew he had one, but said he sold his highest graded one(grade 2) at the convention show

1880nonsports
10-19-2014, 04:41 PM
that greeted this morning. An important album to finalize my sports album run and soon to be on the wall with the others - the Goodwin round album. Some minor flaws but hammered with penalty within a retail range I suppose - obligatory rationalization. I had wanted to position myself to be high bidder at 6000. but the random bidding waylaid my plan. Took the next bid perhaps a bit impulsively with night approaching as my emotional side gained control over the rational side. When falling asleep part of me wished I'd wake up to see I'd been outbid in the wee hours of the morning while the other was laying out the best configuration. Quite a bit of cheese for a retiree of modest means but the deed is done except to get it framed.

I thought one of the significant lots was the Burdick signed 1953 ACC. Coming down for a strong 3300.. Would LOVE to own something like that as the auto is on something significantly related to his contributions to our hobby. Cartophillic history while less important to me than the items themselves is still a part of and important to the gathering and synthesis of my collection. Surprised there isn't more signed stuff available (I never see any) as he communicated quite a bit by mail - phone calls were expensive. Even so they likely wouldn't have the POP of an item like an ACC. In any event - a 75.00 book and a primarily Burdick driven pair of autographs for 3200.00 - a level of Ruthian proportions. Given that price I wonder what Burdick's own copy of the 1939 ACC might sell for? Likely it wouldn't be signed - perhaps stamped with one of his 4/5 different initials - I would assume over 5000.. Have to believe it wasn't thrown out - perhaps it's already been in some auction?

Bosox Blair
10-19-2014, 05:41 PM

Aaaaand, on the other hand...I was bidding on exactly 20 lots and came away empty. Every single one went above the going auction prices over the last couple years. This is the first REA auction in 5 years or more where I have not won at least 2 lots. From where I was sitting, prices were high!

Cheers,
Blair

philliesphan
10-19-2014, 05:58 PM
A few surprises, price-wise:

I thought the T206 Magie error SGC 40 went rather low.

Was surprised by the very strong prices on the following:
*Doolan Batting Lenox Back (went for Brown Lenox price point!)
*Phillies Rose PC postcards -- team set went for $9,600, or $800/per.

Some of the modern insert cards went for crazy prices; and I think REA didn't market many of them well ($300 opening bids for lots that went over $10k, sometimes over $20k). But quite a few people were watching them and bid in full force in the last day.

A fun auction for sure -- the first REA in a long time where I haven't won a thing :/

itjclarke
10-19-2014, 06:22 PM
Thanks man, Huggins had a SGC 10 last week that sold for 3k, (and also had the throwing card as well-lots #12&13) It was spectacular. I was a fellow underbidder on it.
But i knew i had a shot at this one. You had me at my max. Atcually thought it just top out at 2k, thats why i bumped it just pass it.
I looked at my emails this afternoon, and just knew when i saw those auto-bids, that i had lost, but i got lucky on a low pop specimen.
I talked to MattyC about this one, because i knew he had one, but said he sold his highest graded one(grade 2) at the convention show

Yeah, I was watching the Huggins Scott ones too.. Those were both really nice.

This one caught my attention because it had the combo of being nice and carrying an "A", so was hoping it would go lower than a numeric grade. I was pretty fired up to bid after hours, thinking I'd snag it around $2K.. But eventually tapped out after 2-3 bids.

Numeric grades seem sorta meaningless to me on these cuz unless they have the coupon, they're all cut. In this case, it got an A for a wavy top border, but seemed a fair trade for a straight bottom, and the pic looked great. If you ever part with it, or upgrade I'd definitely be interested.. Otherwise enjoy!

Bicem
10-19-2014, 08:01 PM
A fun auction for sure -- the first REA in a long time where I haven't won a thing :/

+1

GregMitch34
10-19-2014, 08:11 PM
You can never know for sure but I'd guess some consignors really hurt by the super-dark and muddy scans in the catalog. I know it's said "everyone also goes online" but some higher-grade cards may suffer when the first and maybe lasting impression is that they are pretty weak for the grade (tan, not white, borders etc.)....Not a "second guess" since I pointed this out as soon as the catalogs arrived, and I know some other consignors feel the same way....certainly makes me think twice about consigning again.

Joe_G.
10-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Congrats to all. I'm happy to add a Jimmy Manning Tomlinson pose I needed.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/images_items/item_32111_1.jpg

Fred
10-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Anybody want to claim winning the 31 card lot of N172 Indy players?

MVSNYC
10-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Some nice pick ups, guys...I got this Highlanders Stub to go with my Boston American Stub from same period...Also got this Matty EPDG to go with my Matty CB.

Donscards
10-20-2014, 06:20 AM
I sold my psa 5 Mantle 6 months ago---I won the psa 3 Mantle in REA auction--always nice to have a Mantle.

Vintageclout
10-20-2014, 06:41 AM

Tony

Tony,

Slightly lower than I thought but not overall shocking. I figured in the $90K range. Keep in mind there are 3 high-end cards in the hobby that realize incredible pricing disparities based on their centering...the Ruth Rookie, 51 Bowman Mantle and 52 Topps Mantle. I've seen up to 40% shortfalls on pricing points for these 3 cards due to an off-centering issue.

Joe T.

markf31
10-20-2014, 06:45 AM
I was a loser on many lots, pretty much expected that but I was extremely happy with my one win. My first cabinet.

Buckenberger was also an early president and manager for Pittsburgh.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/images_items/item_32055_1.jpg

MattyC
10-20-2014, 08:26 AM
Tony,

Slightly lower than I thought but not overall shocking. I figured in the $90K range. Keep in mind there are 3 high-end cards in the hobby that realize incredible pricing disparities based on their centering...the Ruth Rookie, 51 Bowman Mantle and 52 Topps Mantle. I've seen up to 40% shortfalls on pricing points for these 3 cards due to an off-centering issue.

Joe T.

Joe is spot-on here. I believe a dead-centered SGC 5.5-- the same grade as the REA offering-- just sold for $140,000.

h2oya311
10-20-2014, 08:34 AM
I was a loser on many lots, pretty much expected that but I was extremely happy with my one win. My first cabinet.

Buckenberger was also an early president and manager for Pittsburgh.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/images_items/item_32055_1.jpg

Nice cabinet! I somehow missed seeing that one during my semi-annual REA online/catalog review...love the clarity and contrast of that cabinet!

vintagewhitesox
10-20-2014, 10:23 AM
I sold my psa 5 Mantle 6 months ago---I won the psa 3 Mantle in REA auction--always nice to have a Mantle.

wow! great looking card. nice pick up.

Howe’s Hunter
10-20-2014, 11:56 AM
I passed on lot 220, with the McCormick stamp, and instead turned my attention to another lot, when a board member offered a trade of two McCormick stamped cards (one a Hindu back, the other a Piedmont) in exchange for one of the other cards in the auction. Two for just a bit more than the cost of one seemed like a good move on my part.

Exhibitman
10-20-2014, 12:12 PM
Nice pick up Adam, I was debating about going after that and/or the Winthrop, but ultimately decided I need to cut back a little on the spending for my personal collection.

DJ

I really wanted the Winthrop more but it exceeded my price point pretty quickly. Would have gone great with this one:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/boxingpostcards/websize/Winthrop%20Dixon.jpg

The Brown flip book was a last ditch at the edge of my price bubble bid that I could not believe held.

tbob
10-20-2014, 12:18 PM
I've been taken a break from pre-war until the cards I need like Home Run Kisses and T210s start appearing again, so I was happy to complete my Topps set run with a nice 1961 set.

ls7plus
10-20-2014, 02:00 PM
Personally I think the ruth rookie went for the right amount. IT seems latley there has been a ruth rookie in almost every major auction...this is not a super rare card...and apparently there are only so many people willing to spend high 5 figures on this card.

I see more of a stabilization of early ruth cards...esp the more common ones...but I still think the tougher ones...as well as the high grade will continue to sell for big money.

+1. My guess would be that there might be 200 or so of these cards with all of the various backs around. It is tough enough, but they do come up with a pretty fair amount of regularity. I agree it was time for it to level off a bit--it certainly is THE CARD to have, but is just as certainly not ultra rare.

I lost out on the 1946-47 Propaganda Montiel Musial, going as high as $960 (including buyer's premium), which was as high as I wanted to go. Didn't really like the eye appeal, despite its being the highest graded. Was stunned to see it go for just over $2K with premium!

Highest regards,

Larry

Runscott
10-20-2014, 02:36 PM
I was interested in the photo lot from Ross Youngs' estate that had two Babe Ruth pics, but wasn't willing to go that high. I think the price was fair though.

Ended up with this:

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/images_items/item_32736_1.jpg

h2oya311
10-20-2014, 02:38 PM
I lost out on the 1946-47 Propaganda Montiel Musial, going as high as $960 (including buyer's premium), which was as high as I wanted to go. Didn't really like the eye appeal, despite its being the highest graded. Was stunned to see it go for just over $2K with premium!

Highest regards,

Larry

Larry - I couldn't believe it either. I was watching that lot closely. You'll be happy to know that there will be another for sale shortly (PWCC) w/ nice eye-appeal and graded just a notch lower. Yes, shameless plug, but I've gotta pay for my addiction somehow, right?

Here's my one win from Saturday night's REA auction:

http://photos.imageevent.com/derekgranger/personal/websize/c1865%20Cartwright.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/derekgranger/personal/websize/c1865%20Cartwright%20_back_.jpg

btcarfagno
10-20-2014, 02:48 PM
I was interested in the photo lot from Ross Youngs' estate that had two Babe Ruth pics, but wasn't willing to go that high. I think the price was fair though.

Ended up with this:

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/images_items/item_32736_1.jpg

Nice consolation prize Scott!

Tom C

Runscott
10-20-2014, 03:07 PM
Thanks Tom, I was surprised to wake up to the winning bidder notice.

Derek - that Cartwright cabinet is fabulous - one of my favorite lots in the auction.

Donscards
10-20-2014, 03:11 PM
wow! great looking card. nice pick up.

Thanks Josh. I always love a Mickey 52

bgar3
10-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Derek, well done with the Cartwright.

h2oya311
10-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks Scott and Bruce!

Bruce, were you able to get anything this weekend? The one that "had your name written all over it" went for a hefty sum. Hopefully it's yours!

jcmtiger
10-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Congrats to all. I'm happy to add a Jimmy Manning Tomlinson pose I needed.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/images_items/item_32111_1.jpg

Joe I put an initial bid on the card, but I was pretty sure you would be bidding for it and did not bid any further

Joe

LincolnVT
10-20-2014, 08:13 PM
The Ruth rookie related items and the autographed ball seem to continue to bring top dollar. Great auction.

ValKehl
10-20-2014, 10:00 PM
I was the bridesmaid for the card that I wanted most, the E223 G & B Chewing Gum card: https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=32115

Also, I'm curious if a Board member won the lot of 100 different T209-2 cards.
Val

darwinbulldog
10-20-2014, 10:53 PM

Highest regards,

Larry

Yeah, that was mine. It's surprising if you compare it to the other Montiel Musial sales but not as much if you look at other "1 of 1 highest graded" cards. And it's an amazing bargain if you compare it to the prices of the highest graded rookie cards of the other top hitters -- Ruth, Cobb, Williams, Wagner, Mays, Aaron, Gehrig, Hornsby, Speaker, Mantle. Those generally go for something on the order of $100,000. They also tend to be nice and minty, but it's not Stan's fault all his rookie cards were stored in Cuba for 50 years.

The eye appeal wasn't anything special I'll admit, but I think it matched the technical grade. Most of the Musial rookies just look poor.

Bicem
10-20-2014, 11:58 PM
Those Tomlinsons in the auction were awesome, nice pickup.

h2oya311
10-21-2014, 07:11 AM
Those Tomlinsons in the auction were awesome, nice pickup.

+1

If anyone has a Big Sam Thompson from this set and wants to make a new friend, you know where to find me!!

Rich Klein
10-21-2014, 01:45 PM
A few surprises, price-wise:

Some of the modern insert cards went for crazy prices; and I think REA didn't market many of them well ($300 opening bids for lots that went over $10k, sometimes over $20k). But quite a few people were watching them and bid in full force in the last day.

Actually I believe that is great marketing, more people get sucked in and think they have a chance to steal, er win an item. The lower you can start items and feel comfortable the better off you are

Joe_G.
10-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks Joe M., Jeff, & Derek.

If anyone has a Big Sam Thompson from this set and wants to make a new friend, you know where to find me!!

Sam is a toughie. I've been tracking the cards since I landed my first copy in 1990 with many of them surfacing over the last 12 years. I'm aware of 60 1886 cabinets split between 13 players and manager Watkins. The rarest player on the list is Big Sam with only two copies. If you discriminate by pose there are some unique cabinets such as the portraits of Dan Brouthers and Deacon White. Out of curiosity, why have you singled out Big Sam Thompson ??

h2oya311
10-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Joe - I'm undertaking the true "monster", the HOF rookie card "set"! I prefer cards/cabinets with individual images, so the Tomlinson would be Thompson's first appearance on a card, to my knowledge. I'd much prefer the Tomlinson Cabinet over the 1886 Lorillard's Detroit Team Cabinet.

Thanks for the insight about the population of this card and the other Tomlinson cabinets. I knew it was scarce, but had no idea that there are only two known.

Joe_G.
10-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Ah, I see.

You may already know this, but the Detroit Lorillard is based on the portraits taken at Tomlinson Studio (Lorillard gives credit to Tomlinson in the lower right corner of card). Ads to purchase Tomlinson cabinets began appearing the day after the photos were taken (April 27th 1886 photo shoot) while the team schedule found on back of Lorillard begins in early June. So while the Tomlinson cabinet start of production certainly pre-dates the Lorillard there was certainly some overlap.

PS - Your best bet to obtain a Thompson Tomlinson cabinet will be for a 3rd one to surface. Best of luck!

h2oya311
10-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Joe - thanks for the info. Sounds like the two Thompson's are buried deep in advanced collections. I'm pretty young, so hopefully the heirs of these cards won't want them 10-50 years from now, assuming I can make it that long!!

It reminds me of the story about the two friends who encounter a lion...the one says to the other, you can't outrun it. His "friend" turns to him and says, I don't need to outrun the lion, I just need to outrun you!! :D

10-22-2014, 07:40 AM
Joe - thanks for the info. Sounds like the two Thompson's are buried deep in advanced collections. I'm pretty young, so hopefully the heirs of these cards won't want them 10-50 years from now, assuming I can make it that long!!

It reminds me of the story about the two friends who encounter a lion...the one says to the other, you can't outrun it. His "friend" turns to him and says, I don't need to outrun the lion, I just need to outrun you!! :D

So your collecting strategy is to wait for other collectors to die? That's pretty morbid. :(

ullmandds
10-22-2014, 07:56 AM
So your collecting strategy is to wait for other collectors to die? That's pretty morbid. :(

Damn...I hope that's not going to be how I get my nadja Miller!!!!!

h2oya311
10-22-2014, 08:28 AM

I work for a life insurance company. :(

Honestly, we've had so many threads about fellow members dying and "are you worried about our hobby dying?", "have you talked to your family about what to do with your collection when you meet your maker", the Bruce(s), the Richard Merkin collection, etc. that it's hard not to think about it.

And no, that's not my "strategy". Admittedly, my post didn't correctly relay my attempt at dark humor. If I'm fortunate enough to not have to sell my collection before my death, I'll be sad to miss out on what my collection realizes at auction after death. That'll be a good auction IMO!

x2drich2000
10-22-2014, 08:42 AM
Damn...I hope that's not going to be how I get my nadja Miller!!!!!

Pete, do I need to start worring about a hit man? :D

ullmandds
10-22-2014, 08:50 AM
ha ha...for a baseball card...no worries!!!!!

10-22-2014, 09:00 AM
ha ha...for a baseball card...no worries!!!!!

Pete, I keep hoping that I'll find a Nadja Miller lying on the ground somewhere so that I can trade it to you for one of those E105 Millers!

ullmandds
10-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Pete, I keep hoping that I'll find a Nadja Miller lying on the ground somewhere so that I can trade it to you for one of those E105 Millers!

ha ha...like finding a golden ticket!!!!! That e105 miller is my only hope!!!!!