PDA

View Full Version : A 1958 yellow name Kaline-hand colored??

roce4e52
10-16-2014, 07:12 PM
The item just ended but I could swear looking at the pic that it is another hand colored yellow name variation. This time graded by PSA. It is a 1958 yellow name Al Kaline #70. Almost bid with 1 minute left but looks like a recolored card to me. Hope not, but hope that someone with better eyes than mine would take a look. The Ebay item number is 381018131456. It will be in the sold listing section by now or very soon. Do not know how to link the auction myself.

swarmee
10-16-2014, 07:48 PM
Kaline auction link (http://www.ebay.com/itm/381018131456?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2F i.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D3810181 31456%26_rdc%3D1)

JollyElm
10-17-2014, 01:41 AM
I did the same thing I had done with the questionable 1958 Aaron a while back and upped the saturation and what not in photoshop. With this card (assuming the photo wasn't doctored by the seller before being uploaded to ebay), you can see the yellow only appears within the delineated area of his name. This isn't an exact science or anything, but this result probably points to the card being authentic. Of course, if it was doctored, then he/she could have possibly used a very thin yellow pen/marker to color the name in without ever drifting into the red area (which was ridiculously obvious in the Aaron card mentioned above). That is possible, but not very likely.

I would say it is, in fact, a yellow letter card.

roce4e52
10-17-2014, 11:26 AM
I guess I should of taken a chance and bid on it. When I saw the white tips I backed off. Does anyone know if the yellow color in the name or team name of the variations was added after the card was finished as a normal white card. Hope I am saying that right.

Footballdude
10-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Interesting, I you look at that Kaline you can see a thin yellow strip on the left side of the card, which tells me the entire background of the card has yellow in it. I looked at a couple others on ebay and you can see a thin yellow line on some of them, just like this, but some are across the top. A slight mis-registration would account for that I would think. However, if you look at regular, white letter Kaline's, you won't find that thin yellow line. I guess if you see one with a thin yellow line, and yellow letters, it's a good sign. I apologize if this has already been covered elsewhere. Just an observance from a non-baseball guy.