PDA

View Full Version : J.W. Curtiss Mini Bat

eastonfalcon19
10-12-2014, 02:52 PM
I picked up this J.W. Curtiss mini bat this morning. I looked up who he was and didn't really find to much information. I guess he was a pioneer of Spalding sporting goods? Does anybody know anything about him and about this bat? How old the bat is? Thanks again for everybody's help.

coco
01-08-2015, 11:35 PM
Julian Wheeler Curtiss was eventually the president of A. G. Spalding & Bros. He went to work for them in the New York store about 1883. Curtiss was responsible for introducing golf equipment to Spalding Bros. and founded along with his brother, Greenwich Country Club in Ct. where he resided. He was also very active on the school board in Greenwich, so much so that they named a school after him. He was a graduate of Yale and was a perennial coach for the rowing / sculling teams. Prior to serving as president he was Spalding Bros. secretary from the 1880's -. He died in 1944. The bat you have dates to about 1939 and is some sort of giveaway from a Spalding company function would be my guess. Good luck with it. Is it something you want to sell? thanks

eastonfalcon19
01-09-2015, 06:39 AM
Thank you for all of the information. I'm not sure what I want to do with the bat. How much does a bat like this go for? Are there any others like it?