PDA

View Full Version : reds in Welch WV with guns photo acquired

Mountaineer1999
10-07-2014, 07:17 PM
From 1937 to 1955 there was a minor league baseball team located in Welch WV. The Welch Miners claim to fame; they were no-hit by Ron Necciai and Necciai struck out all 27 Welch batters on 13 May 1952 in Bristol TN.
I grew up in Welch and would like some type of memorabilia from the team or to find and purchase some photos of the team, their field. players etc. I have looked on the internet and can find nothing other than team stats and one photo outside the park. I know this is a long shot but if anyone here knows anything about the Welch teams I would love to hear it.
They played in Welch @ Blakely Field and were members of the Mountain State League and Appalachian League.

Thanks, Donnie

baseballart
10-07-2014, 07:51 PM
Donnie

Not really what you're looking for, but Phil Filiatrault lives (I think he's still around) in the Vancouver area and spoke at a local SABR meeting about ten years ago. He was the first baseman in Necciaci's 27k game http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=filiat001phi

Mountaineer1999
10-08-2014, 07:11 AM
Donnie

Not really what you're looking for, but Phil Filiatrault lives (I think he's still around) in the Vancouver area and spoke at a local SABR meeting about ten years ago. He was the first baseman in Necciaci's 27k game http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=filiat001phi

That would have been fun to hear. Its a good trivia quiestion that most probably dont know... Only professional with 27 strikeouts in a game.

http://www.tricities.com/sports/article_a49cc1e4-418b-58c8-b9c6-370fa64bd9fe.html

Bumpus Jones
10-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Hey Donnie. I'm pretty sure this photo was taken at the same field in 1924...

Bumpus Jones
10-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Just noticed. 90 years ago today!

Mountaineer1999
10-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Chris , those are awesome! Is that really the Reds? Does anyone recognize any of the Reds players if it's the big league club?
Is there a way for me to get a print of those pictures?

Mountaineer1999
10-08-2014, 02:49 PM
The 90 years ago today is a neat little add on bonus. :-)

Dto7
10-08-2014, 03:04 PM
1924 Reds at Welch, West Virgina

http://www.wvculture.org/history/thisdayinwvhistory/1008.html

Mountaineer1999
10-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Hey Donnie. I'm pretty sure this photo was taken at the same field in 1924...

If anyone other than myself is interested :) I wrote the Reds Hall of Fame and this is the response to the photos.

"Thanks for contacting us. We are very familiar with this image and keep one on display in our museum. The story that we believe is accurate is that there had been a series of incidents involving armed moonshiners in the area in advance of the Reds scheduled exhibition games. As a precaution, a security detail was called in to help ensure the safety of players and spectators. At some point, someone decided to get creative with the photo op and this image was the result.

Uniformed players in the image are (left to right):
Ivey Wingo (Catcher), Bubbles Hargrave (Catcher), Pete Donohue (Pitcher), Pat Duncan (Outfielder), Rube Bressler (Outfielder), Sammy Bohne (Infielder), George Burns (Outfielder), Babe Pinelli (Outfielder), Rube Benton (Pitcher), Edd Roush (Outfielder) Hughie Critz (Second Baseman).

You might be interested to know that Hargrave, Donohue, Bressler, Roush and Critz are members of the Reds Hall of Fame and Roush is a member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

The non-uniformed individuals in the image are not known but appear to be part of the “security” detail that was in place for the game."

Bumpus Jones
10-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Excellent work Donnie!

Mountaineer1999
11-16-2015, 02:51 PM
.... very excited to get an original print of the Reds with guns picture. It was offered during the recent Worthington auctions. The Type I photo is from the estate of Ivey Wingo:

ramram
11-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Congrats. Very cool.

Rob M.