PDA

View Full Version : One Year into the Matty Collection

dferguso1988
10-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Well....this is my first attempt at "posting a new thread" and it all stems from receiving my E102 Mathewson in the mail today!! It quickly changed the mood from a Monday lull to excitement.

But, it got me to realize, it is approximately a year this month that I really got back into my childhood hobby (I say childhood but I'm only 25) and decided I was going to collect Christy Mathewson cards.

It has been one heck of a year filled with a lot of exciting trips to the mailbox filled with anticipation.

All in all, I averaged 1 Matty a month and have seen my collection grow faster than I thought. Actually, to the point where my long term girlfriend told me enough is enough :roll eyes:

But anyway...enough of my rambling and here are some of the highlights of my excitement. Thanks for looking!

- Don

Stonepony
10-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Mathewson is my focus too, Don. You're off to a nice start!!

EvilKing00
10-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Nice cards man!

kamikidEFFL
10-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Great start man definitely got to target the t205 next such a great card wish I never got rid of mine.

mrvster
10-06-2014, 08:40 PM
welcome

after matty try so T206 on for size:)

dferguso1988
10-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Thanks you guys!! The t205 is definitely next (once the budget allows). That one will be lucky number 13 in the Matty collection.

RelicSports
10-06-2014, 08:58 PM
nice collection Don! Keep'er goin!

ValKehl
10-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Congrats! Nice cards! Me thinks you are now hooked!
Val

Shoebox
10-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Nice cards. Thanks for sharing!

ethicsprof
10-06-2014, 10:18 PM
you've done the gentleman proud.
congratulations on some top shelf cards.
all the best,
barry

gnaz01
10-07-2014, 03:27 AM
Mathewson is my focus too, Don. You're off to a nice start!!

Me too :)

brian1961
10-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Don, nice going on collecting Matty. Great choices. I know most would bop me on the head for suggesting to get this particular Christy but why not go for a graded MINT 1961 Golden Press Hall of Fame? The photo is fantastic with lots of eye appeal. Probably taken around 1905, as Matty looks very young. I wouldn't recommend the Fleers from that era, but the Golden Press is gorgeous, and after all, it is now 53 years old in itself. Also, check out any of the Charles Conlon black n' white and color cards issued in the early 1990s of BIG 6. Lots of eye appeal for a few bucks a card.

Regardless, congratulations on what you've accomplished thus far. Hope your girlfriend comes around to see the merits of collecting.:D Take care. ---Brian Powell

btcarfagno
10-07-2014, 11:16 AM
I came back to the hobby a few years ago much the same as you. The anticipation of something arriving in the mailbox makes me feel like a kid again. Being able to delve into the vintage cards that I worshiped from afar as a child is so wonderful.

Matty was always a favorite of mine growing up. Congrats on the terrific collection.

Tom C

dferguso1988
10-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Me too :)

Greg and Dave, Let's see some of you guys' Mattys!

dferguso1988
10-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Don, nice going on collecting Matty. Great choices. I know most would bop me on the head for suggesting to get this particular Christy but why not go for a graded MINT 1961 Golden Press Hall of Fame? The photo is fantastic with lots of eye appeal. Probably taken around 1905, as Matty looks very young. I wouldn't recommend the Fleers from that era, but the Golden Press is gorgeous, and after all, it is now 53 years old in itself. Also, check out any of the Charles Conlon black n' white and color cards issued in the early 1990s of BIG 6. Lots of eye appeal for a few bucks a card.

Regardless, congratulations on what you've accomplished thus far. Hope your girlfriend comes around to see the merits of collecting.:D Take care. ---Brian Powell

Brian, I will certainly look into picking up one of those Golden Press Mattys. I just googled it, and you are absolutely correct; an incredible photo. Best Regards - Don

tschock
10-07-2014, 02:09 PM
... Also, check out any of the Charles Conlon black n' white and color cards issued in the early 1990s of BIG 6. Lots of eye appeal for a few bucks a card.

Totally agree on these, Brian. A simple gorgeous photo! Not to mention the fine, though sad, write-up on the back.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRISTY-MATHEWSON-Giants-The-Sporting-News-Smithsonia-n-1984-BIG-4-5-x-6-Conlon-/360791990550?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5400e0e116

darwinbulldog
10-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Well....this is my first attempt at "posting a new thread" and it all stems from receiving my E102 Mathewson in the mail today!! It quickly changed the mood from a Monday lull to excitement.

But, it got me to realize, it is approximately a year this month that I really got back into my childhood hobby (I say childhood but I'm only 25) and decided I was going to collect Christy Mathewson cards.

It has been one heck of a year filled with a lot of exciting trips to the mailbox filled with anticipation.

All in all, I averaged 1 Matty a month and have seen my collection grow faster than I thought. Actually, to the point where my long term girlfriend told me enough is enough :roll eyes:

But anyway...enough of my rambling and here are some of the highlights of my excitement. Thanks for looking!

- Don

So you haven't posted all of them then? Only the big 6?

dferguso1988
10-07-2014, 03:01 PM
So you haven't posted all of them then? Only the big 6?

Exactly Glenn! See what I did there.

DHogan
10-07-2014, 05:37 PM
A nice start to a collection.

clydepepper
10-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Congrats Don - now go get the T205 !

gnaz01
10-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Greg and Dave, Let's see some of you guys' Mattys!

Here is one of mine, Don.

gnaz01
10-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Another

the 'stache
10-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Don,

You've got a really nice start on your Matty collection. Congratulations on some beautiful cards.

I have to say that E102 Matty is one of my very favorite pre-war cards from any set. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, it just doesn't get much better than that. There are a few different cards with that same picture, so while it's pretty difficult to get one in nice condition (and expensive), that's a priority for me. I'm working on the T206 set, so maybe I'll grab one of his cards next.

I am going to favorite this thread, Don. I look forward to seeing your collection grow over time. You've certainly picked a great man to collect.

Bill

dferguso1988
10-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Here is one of mine, Don.

Greg, both of those are incredible. I especially love the Tuxedo ad. It has amazing eye appeal. I'm going to have to hunt one of those down some day.

dferguso1988
10-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Don,

You've got a really nice start on your Matty collection. Congratulations on some beautiful cards.

I have to say that E102 Matty is one of my very favorite pre-war cards from any set. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, it just doesn't get much better than that. There are a few different cards with that same picture, so while it's pretty difficult to get one in nice condition (and expensive), that's a priority for me. I'm working on the T206 set, so maybe I'll grab one of his cards next.

I am going to favorite this thread, Don. I look forward to seeing your collection grow over time. You've certainly picked a great man to collect.

Bill

Thanks Bill! It is has been a joy gathering this collection.

I bet trying to conqueor the T206 set has been/is an enjoyable ride for you. I know it is just a matter of time before I start purchasing T206. It's funny, but the first Matty I bought was the T206 Portrait and it all steamrolled from there. Funny how that works. :rolleyes: