PDA

View Full Version : Has the T206 bubble burst?

Vegas-guy
10-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Just wondering what everyone thinks? Lately I've been listed T206 SGC 60 and 70. When I bought them approx. 3-4 years ago if you won a 60 for under $90 it was a good deal. And the NY Amer. players all were $100+ I just had 5 cards end on ebay (All NY Amer.) and not one broke $80.00 a common SGC 70 (Josh Clark) didn't even sell (under $65.00 1st bid) and my Hal Chase sgc 70 (dark cap) sold for less than $110.00...:eek: almost half what I paid 3 years ago...

Jantz
10-05-2014, 08:06 PM
Possibly collectors are getting closer to finishing their sets or other T206 collecting goals.

So less demand=lower price

I saw that Clark on the BST and it was a beauty. Came close to pulling the trigger on it.

If its not to much trouble, shoot me a PM with a list of the T206s you have for sale. Player name - Back info - Grade (if applicable)

I've been in a slump lately and need to buy a card or two. :)

Thanks

Jantz

freakhappy
10-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Possibly collectors are getting closer to finishing their sets or other T206 collecting goals.

So less demand=lower price

I saw that Clark on the BST and it was a beauty. Came close to pulling the trigger on it.

If its not to much trouble, shoot me a PM with a list of the T206s you have for sale. Player name - Back info - Grade (if applicable)

I've been in a slump lately and need to buy a card or two. :)

Thanks

Jantz

Nothing like a T206 pick-me-up, lol. When I get in a slump, I always look to grab a card to get me out of it...always does the trick!

As far as prices slumping...I just think it happens from time to time. I've seen some cards go for crazy steal prices and then the next week go back to normal. In your case, it is a little ridiculous...prices that low? Seems like an anomaly to me.

Rollingstone206
10-06-2014, 12:10 AM

10-06-2014, 05:52 AM
You'll have better results if you just stick to the BST or consign. Selling collectibles yourself on eBay is a huge gamble these days.

thescooper
10-06-2014, 06:55 AM
Christmas is just around the corner, maybe people are saving their money to buy lego for their kids?

bn2cardz
10-06-2014, 07:00 AM
Christmas is just around the corner, maybe people are saving their money to buy lego for their kids?

Or saving their money for REA, B-L, Huggins & Scott and Sterling. That is a lot of auctions going on at the same time to compete with EBAY.

ullmandds
10-06-2014, 07:05 AM
maybe...just maybe there are more t206 commons in circulation than potential suitors?

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
10-06-2014, 07:13 AM
I think the bubble has definitely burst. However, I am willing to help you guys out and take some SLers off your hands before they become totally worthless.

t206hound
10-06-2014, 07:14 AM
Just wondering what everyone thinks? Lately I've been listed T206 SGC 60 and 70. When I bought them approx. 3-4 years ago if you won a 60 for under $90 it was a good deal. And the NY Amer. players all were $100+ I just had 5 cards end on ebay (All NY Amer.) and not one broke $80.00 a common SGC 70 (Josh Clark) didn't even sell (under $65.00 1st bid) and my Hal Chase sgc 70 (dark cap) sold for less than $110.00...:eek: almost half what I paid 3 years ago...

the prices have been trending softer in 40-70 for over a year, in my opinion. Two to three years ago a common sixty was guaranteed $100... now you are lucky to get $75 on ebay.

I threw a couple of (what I considered) low ball bids at your cards... or they would have gone for even less :eek:

insccollectibles
10-06-2014, 08:04 AM
Small sample size to say the bubble burst. I saw 5's going for over a $100 last night on ebay.

barrysloate
10-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Supply and demand.

TistaT202
10-06-2014, 09:02 AM
I am one of those guys that normally may have pulled the trigger on the NY American T206's but have concluded that there are so many of them in circulation that I'd rather ignore them for now and go after the more difficult T-card issues. I am assuming (and hoping) that the pure volume of T206's available will result in their continued affordability in the future.

Mike

Sean1125
10-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Too bad I missed your sales. Auction is not a good environment for pre-war, I would have purchased most if not all of that stuff privately for the same or more.

mybuddyinc
10-06-2014, 11:52 AM
the prices have been trending softer in 40-70 for over a year, in my opinion. Two to three years ago a common sixty was guaranteed $100... now you are lucky to get $75 on ebay.

I threw a couple of (what I considered) low ball bids at your cards... or they would have gone for even less :eek:

Agreed. I think (for what's that worth :rolleyes:) the 40-60 range cards fall into a smaller market gap. You have a ton of p/f/g collectors that keep those prices stable, but won't go higher. Then you have the "high end" collectors, who only want 70+.

Now, raw cards that would grade 40-60, are even harder to get a "fair" price for (<-------- dangling participle).

DaveW
10-06-2014, 03:39 PM
I think all of the T206 money has been sucked up into buying Titus cards.:)

bbsports
10-06-2014, 03:54 PM
T206 cards are still strong. I have a harder time selling graded SGC cards than PSA cards. Maybe because PSA's registry is twice as large. However, the big 4 HOFers, Cobb, Young, Mathewson, & Johnson are selling very strong by either graded company. Most customers are buying commons only if they need them for a team set or full set minus the big 4 cards.

sreader3
10-06-2014, 04:00 PM
I don't think there is any general softening at all. I think what's happening is that T206 collectors are becoming ever more knowledgeable about the relative scarcity of different subjects, which is leading to more divergent pricing.

Taking one of countless possible examples, a few years ago the going price of a Dots Miller (Pittsburg) and Tenney in SGC 60 would have been roughly the same--somewhere in the neighborhood of $90. Today maybe you can grab Miller for $75 but you will have to pony up $150 or more for Tenney.

The same thing has happened with backs. Better knowledge equals larger pricing disparities.

Edited to add: Also agree with Bill about PSA v. SGC prices. There are more PSA T206 set builders than SGC T206 set builders, especially in grade 5 and higher. Hence higher prices.

iwantitiwinit
10-06-2014, 05:15 PM
I also agree about the PSA pricing superiority over SGC being more pronounced as of late. I also agree it is tougher to sell straight commons at say the 90-110 range lately. I feel as if many individuals, myself included, already have most if not all of the set that they are likely to accumulate and that additional purchases of subjects already owned are now made only in "special circumstances". For instance I might accumulate say 4 red chance portraits but only if the they are non piedmont or sweet cap backs, i might buy say four sovereigns but never four piedmonts.

mrvster
10-06-2014, 07:28 PM
is a "micro-cosm" in itself....

T206 are different from other issues because Wagner keeps the set extremely popular amongst other variables and highly, highly collected.....there will be deviations sometimes and anomalies in pricing due to other variables( venue, timing, marketing, ect_).....but trending for these cards should follow the Wagner trend over the last 100 years...

all positive increases overall over the years...

the "bubble" never really exists for T206, because of the viability and proven collectability for over a century...

:)

Luke
10-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Two things that might have been at work in my opinion:

- I missed out on a card (not one of these) on Sunday because gavelsnipe didn't enter my bid and someone won a $120 card for $60. You might have had a potential buyer or two with the same problem.

- I also think there are tiers of t206 commons. The set collector wants them all, but some other collectors (including me) want some commons more than others. I would say the desirability of t206 commons goes roughly like this:

1. Major League portraits
2. Major Leaguers with colorful and interesting backgrounds
3. Minor League portraits (the artists spent less time on these, and they are just less pleasing to the eye)
4. Major Leaguers with monotone or boring backgrounds
5. Minor Leaguers with monotone or boring backgrounds

I mention this because the Clark stands out to me as a pretty boring, not real desirable card, at least to me. If you had a few in the bottom tiers, that could be part of the reason for the low prices realized.

BleedinBlue
10-07-2014, 10:16 PM
You know the market has softened when you see T206 Honus Wagner cards selling for under $200. And since I saw it on the news it must be true.

Seriously though, my experience with pricing trends is that any card I'm trying to sell is currently in a price slump. Any card I am looking to acquire is experiencing a surge.

ullmandds
10-08-2014, 05:56 AM
I don't think there is any general softening at all. I think what's happening is that T206 collectors are becoming ever more knowledgeable about the relative scarcity of different subjects, which is leading to more divergent pricing.

Taking one of countless possible examples, a few years ago the going price of a Dots Miller (Pittsburg) and Tenney in SGC 60 would have been roughly the same--somewhere in the neighborhood of $90. Today maybe you can grab Miller for $75 but you will have to pony up $150 or more for Tenney.

The same thing has happened with backs. Better knowledge equals larger pricing disparities.

Edited to add: Also agree with Bill about PSA v. SGC prices. There are more PSA T206 set builders than SGC T206 set builders, especially in grade 5 and higher. Hence higher prices.

I agree mostly with this theory...as t206 collectors mature and gain more knowledge...the rarities will continue to climb...whereas the commoners will lag.

frankbmd
10-08-2014, 06:00 AM
..........- I missed out on a card (not one of these) on Sunday because gavelsnipe didn't enter my bid and someone won a $120 card for $60. ..................

Thanks Luke (and Gavelsnipe):eek::D