PDA

View Full Version : 1914 (?) Boston Braves Pennant

baseballart
10-02-2014, 07:39 PM
On John Thorn's wonderful Our game blog, he posted about the 1914 Braves. Included was a photo of this pennant. I've never seen it before. Vintage? Homemade? fantasy? https://mlblogsourgame.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/1914-boston-braves-nl-champions-felt-pennant.jpeg

Vintagecatcher
10-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Hi Max,

My vote is for homemade/fantasy. Someone attached an authentic B18 blanket to this homemade pennant.

Patrick

ooo-ribay
10-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Hi Max,

My vote is for homemade/fantasy. Someone attached an authentic B18 blanket to this homemade pennant.

Patrick

IF that's the case, it's very well done!

lefty147
10-02-2014, 09:05 PM
I agree that it is a homemade/fantasy pennant.

Econteachert205
10-03-2014, 07:18 AM
Hi Max,

Patrick

This was my first instinct as well. Very well done. Still a great piece.

perezfan
10-03-2014, 10:59 AM
NOT a Fantasy piece....

Materials are of the era, and pennant was likely constructed during the purported period. So while it may be one of a kind, and "home made", it was not produced to deceive (like some of the "Franken-pennants you see on ebay).

It is a marvelous and legitimate piece, and can best be thought of as period folk art.

Econteachert205
10-03-2014, 11:11 AM
NOT a Fantasy piece....

Materials are of the era, and pennant was likely constructed during the purported period. So while it may be one of a kind, and "home made", it was not produced to deceive (like some of the "Franken-pennants you see on ebay).

It is a marvelous and legitimate piece, and can best be thought of as period folk art.

I hate to get into semantics but I didn't necessarily imply that by it being a "fantasy" piece that it was meant to deceive. I do agree that it was homemade at the time by a fan and a great piece. I know that often the implication of fantasy has a negative connotation and could be meant to deceive, but in this case I thought the fantasy declaration only reinforced the homemade or one off nature of the piece. My question to clarify for fantasy designation would be how long after the event would the creation have to take place in order to classify it as fantasy? Five years? Or is it all based on intent?

perezfan
10-03-2014, 11:24 AM
I think it's based on the intent (just my opinion). To me, "Fantasy" has a negative connotation, but perhaps it's open to interpretation.

Anyway, here's a link to this pennant in SCP...

https://catalog.scpauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=28580

Econteachert205
10-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I think I just have to be more careful with the word Fantasy because it does have such a negative connotation. Thanks for the link

bobfreedman
10-03-2014, 11:33 AM
This is an awesome period piece. It was sold in SCP's last auction and I cannot remember where but there was another team that was made in similar appearance. This is a fantastic pennant that I was able to view at the Nationals and the size was surprisingly big to boot

baseballart
10-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Bob

Do you think it was a manufactured pennant or was it one of a kind home made?

Max

bobfreedman
10-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Bob

Do you think it was a manufactured pennant or was it one of a kind home made?

Max

I don't know Max, it it could be either but the most important thing here is that it is period and I have seen similar pieces from another team.

Duluth Eskimo
10-03-2014, 09:32 PM
NOT a Fantasy piece....

I completely agree with Mark. This is a great pennant. It would be my opinion that it is one of a kind. Like Bob said, I also remember seeing something similar, but it just has just too much detail to produce numbers of these. All of the attributes of this pennant are right on for this period of pennant, often seen in vintage college pennants. The wear is perfectly consistent with the fabric these pennants were made of. Style of sewing too. The one negative is the team. These Boston Braves pennants just don't seem to bring the great numbers that other team pennants from this era. Bottom line, beautiful pennant.

Ladder7
10-04-2014, 06:51 AM
Type 3 pennant

HRBAKER
10-04-2014, 07:00 AM
Type 3 pennant

:)

perezfan
10-04-2014, 10:04 AM
Type 3 pennant

But if it was made from Original materials within a 2 year window of the Braves winning the championship, it should be considered Type..... Oh forget it! ;)