PDA

View Full Version : Giants v Pirates

itjclarke
10-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Had just texted my buddy--"Crawford, best .240 hitter in baseball... King of the timely hit".... Then bam! Go Giants!

Btw- I know "best" is hyperbole, but this guy gets a lot of key hits. Great SS and 8th hitter.

Louieman
10-01-2014, 10:20 PM
I'm biased, but independent of that sweet slam he had tonight, I do think Crawford is the most talented defensive shortstop in the majors right now. The sheer athletic ability he has on some plays seems to be at its own level

itjclarke
10-01-2014, 10:40 PM
I'm biased, but independent of that sweet slam he had tonight, I do think Crawford is the most talented defensive shortstop in the majors right now. The sheer athletic ability he has on some plays seems to be at its own level

Agree (with admitted bias too), some of the plays he makes, especially some of the double plays he starts (dive, perfect glove feed to 2B...) are just awesome. His offense is also so much better than numbers indicate... so many timely hits. I know what I say is anectdotal, and I'd love to see his splits in various pressure situations (ABs after the 6th in games trailing or tied, runners in scoring position, etc). I've gotta think there's some statistical backing to what I see regularly. Regardless, he's been one of my favorite Giants these past 2-3 years.

Re- Defense in general, I posted some stuff in another thread about good base running (taking extra bases on hits, balls in dirt, etc) being undervalued by today's metrics... and also think defensive metrics probably undervalue Crawford type D (still can't believe how low defensive "WAR" is for all time greats). It's so hard, even impossible to quantify the true value that stealing a hit, as compared to an error or even playing a grounder into double (think guy with no legs/range like Cabrerra when he still played 3rd). The mental effect it has on the team and specifically the pitcher is immeasurable, especially for guys like Bumgarner who have confidence to attack the strike zone and go right after hitters, not fearing balls in play.. especially when young and more a pitch to contact guy. Compare that to guys who labor/rack up pitches, often walks never giving in and trying to strike everyone out.

It's amazing how quickly some of tight Giants games this year would turned on misplays in the field.. even a single misplay (think Morse in left). Ball that shouldn't drop, drops and the wheels eventually come off. These guys are human.

packs
10-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Crawford is good but there's no way he's better than Andrelton Simmons with the glove.

majordanby
10-02-2014, 11:03 AM
2010-2012-

2014?

if peavy remains hot and makes up for the fact that they cant start bumgarner 2 times in the NLDS, hudson can be a solid #3, and the bullpen shuts down the late innings, why not?

clydepepper
10-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Crawford is good but there's no way he's better than Andrelton Simmons with the glove.

I have to agree...Crawford may be very good and has a history of clutch hitting, but he can't match Simmons defensively. Even though, this past season was not nearly as good as 2013 when he set the ALL-TIME dWAR record for ANY position, he's still the best.

I'm pulling for Huddie - he was born right here in Columbus, GA

itjclarke
10-02-2014, 09:16 PM
I have to agree...Crawford may be very good and has a history of clutch hitting, but he can't match Simmons defensively. Even though, this past season was not nearly as good as 2013 when he set the ALL-TIME dWAR record for ANY position, he's still the best.

I'm pulling for Huddie - he was born right here in Columbus, GA

All biases acknowledged. Thanks to the stat man Bill Gregory, I now know where to find clutch hitting stats on baseball reference (thanks Bill). Crawford notably better than his averaged in several of the clutch categories... Nice when just "seeing" a player day in and day out jibes with these advanced numbers.

Simmons is a total stud and his arm is ridiculous, no arguments there.