PDA

View Full Version : Complete M101-4 Set Found in Midwest

Boccabella
10-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Full set belonged to the granddaughter of the original owner who has consigned them to Goldin Auctions. Grading has pushed the set into the top echelon of the PSA Registry: http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/spurned-card-shop-find-1916-m101-4-cards-heads-auction/

Econteachert205
10-01-2014, 07:14 PM
How must that dealer feel now?

Bocabirdman
10-01-2014, 07:58 PM
How must that dealer feel now

I can only imagine that any brick n' mortar store, still in business, sees and deals with more modern era cards. The pristine condition of this set likely told them that these "had" to be reprints. I am glad the family didn't listen to the store owner. Could you imagine if they had sold them for reprint money or worse....threw them away?

Leon
10-01-2014, 10:02 PM
I can only imagine that any brick n' mortar store, still in business, sees and deals with more modern era cards. The pristine condition of this set likely told them that these "had" to be reprints. I am glad the family didn't listen to the store owner. Could you imagine if they had sold them for reprint money or worse....threw them away?

Exactly.......most local card store owners don't deal in early vintage. I can't count the number of times I have been told a LCS owner said something was good or bad when it wasn't.

Bocabirdman
10-02-2014, 04:24 AM
Exactly.......most local card store owners don't deal in early vintage. I can't count the number of times I have been told a LCS owner said something was good or bad when it wasn't.

On the other hand, the store owner MIGHT have known EXACTLY what they were. I would like to believe that to be not true but there are some snakes in the garden.:eek:

Koufax32fan
10-02-2014, 06:38 PM
If you owned this set and wanted to sell it, would you offer it as a set or would you break it and auction off each of singles? (No fair saying that you would keep it. I am just wondering what people think would bring in higher proceeds.

ullmandds
10-02-2014, 06:58 PM
personally I'd sell it piecemeal...I'd guess whoever buys it will break it up.

Sean
10-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Breaking up the set, especially a high grade set like this, would bring the highest return IMO.

GasHouseGang
10-02-2014, 09:06 PM
I guess they could sell it as a set and as singles and then go with whichever brings the most money. They've done that with many high profile sets before.

nolemmings
10-03-2014, 11:07 AM
I believe it could generate more if sold as a set; of course, it seems likely the Ruth rookie would be carved out so that the buyer would be getting something less than a complete set anyway.
Hard to say for sure because not all of the key cards are shown, but it really isn't that tough to find mid to high-grade blank backs, meaning grades 5-7 with occasional 8s, so breaking it up doesn't really seem to offer a chance for set fillers or even player collectors to upgrade significantly--here the overall set avg is 5.3. Seems to me that someone wanting to avoid the time and trouble of assembling a set would be interested, but that the break-up value is not great.