PDA

View Full Version : OT - Royals Oakland game

brob28
10-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Not sure how many here stayed up on the east coast for the finish, but what a great game this was. Speed vs. Power. Great playoff baseball.

jcmtiger
10-01-2014, 11:18 AM
I'm a Tiger fan, but watched the game. It was a good one.

Joe

Louieman
I'm a Giants fan, and that game felt absolutely devastating. It was an awesome game, one for the ages. But man, I really feel terrible for the A's. They deserve, as a franchise, to get deeper into the playoffs. Great game though

Stonepony
Being from KC I couldnt miss it. Great game!!

brob28
10-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Louie, I agree that loss has to be devastating to Oakland and the A's fans. Made worse by the fact they traded Cespedes and didn't advance.

h2oya311
10-01-2014, 11:33 AM
I fell asleep w/ Oakland "in control" after 6. Couldn't believe it when I heard about the comeback on the radio on my drive into work. Seriously, how many starting pitchers did they need to acquire? Lester was lights-out for them for his two months with the club, but didn't they think some offense might be necessary? I was floored when the trade was announced (after they had recently picked up two starters) and it looks like it was a bad move in retrospect. They probably could have managed with the guys they had (especially after the Samardzija acquisition).

Econteachert205
10-01-2014, 11:35 AM
went to bed after the 7th. was truly surprised pleasantly at the outcome.

rjackson44
10-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Im stunned and sad:) after a terrible second half time to let billy bean go ,,,

shammus
10-01-2014, 11:37 AM
For a Royals fan, it was crushing to see Oakland go up by 4 runs the way they did but I haven't seen a comeback of that magnitude like that since Game 6 of the '85 World Series. Great comeback and win and I'm thrilled I made the decision to head out and watch it in person at the last second....

btw...got to see the game with Family too. I'm on the right in the photo....

johnmh71
10-01-2014, 11:49 AM
It was nice to see that small ball is still alive and well with the way that power has dominated the game over the last 25 years. It can take you far if you play it right.

icollectDCsports
10-01-2014, 11:50 AM
A great game. Yes, I feel bad for A's fans, but happy for the Royals and their fans. It's been a long drought for them.

Mountaineer1999
10-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Again instant classic! Great game. Congrats Royals and Kansas City fans.

Sean
10-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Great game, but it hurt to see the A's eliminated. Still, this looks to be a fun postseason.

barrysloate
10-01-2014, 01:07 PM
1:00 AM is too late a finish for me. Wish they'd start these things a little earlier. Sounded like a classic.

cardsfan73
10-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Im stunned and sad:) after a terrible second half time to let billy bean go ,,,

And replace him with who? He has done a pretty good job I think.

A great game last night! I am really hoping for a re-match of the 1985 World Series, only this time the Cardinals come out on top!

ooo-ribay
10-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Can't believe Perez drove in the winning run. His ABs in the 8th and 10th were absolutely horrendous.

FWIW, KC would have been in and Oakland out, before Bud introduced this ridiculous second wild card.

z28jd
10-01-2014, 01:20 PM
All the people that complain about games ending too late can solve their problem by moving west. For Barry, he needs to move to Hawaii to be able to stay up late enough, but for most, California would be fine. Games don't end late there, they start early.

Great game. Not a fan of the A's because Billy Beane gets a lot of credit for someone with no WS rings in 17 years, but I would have rooted for them over seeing the Cardinals or Giants win again. Good luck to the Royals in the postseason, hope you lose to the Pirates in the series.

barrysloate
10-01-2014, 03:23 PM
I'll stay put, thank you. I don't even know where Hawaii is...:)

honus94566
10-01-2014, 03:57 PM
It was a great game last night. Growing up, I was in boy scouts, and my scoutmaster who lived down the street was a huge huge huge Royals fan. He died of a brain tumor in the early 90's. While watching the Royals comeback, I could only imagine him out there in the crowd, cheering the team on. It made me kind of sad, but kind of happy at the same time. Sad that he couldn't live to see it, but happy to be reminded of a great neighbor, friend, and mentor.

Now.... tonight... GO GIANTS! (Though dammit Pittsburgh, why didn't you just win your division so we could have knocked off the Cardinals in the wild card game!). I am a Giants fan through and through but won't cry if the Pirates move on, so long as they keep advancing! I actually don't even care about anything this year other than I just want the Dodgers to lose, and lose badly. In embarrassing fashion :)

KCRfan1
10-01-2014, 05:03 PM
A great two nights of nationally televised sporting events ( football and baseball ) for KC and a chance to showcase the city! We did not disappoint at all !!!! The whole area is on it's ears, and a Royals love fest has been reborn after 29 years. I have followed the team since first grade, so that would be 1970. I have seen their highest of highs and lowest of lows. The game last night was one for the ages, a true classic. Go Blue!

Big Ben
10-01-2014, 06:08 PM
A classic game! I went to bed thinking the A's had the game won, but I also tuned into the Royals broadcast on MLB At Bat. Really glad I did that! :)

Peter_Spaeth
10-01-2014, 06:17 PM
I'll stay put, thank you. I don't even know where Hawaii is...:)

West of the Lincoln Tunnel.

nolemmings
10-01-2014, 08:52 PM
West of the Lincoln Tunnel.

You type so self-assured, but we all know you just used Google maps before making that post.

kmac32
10-01-2014, 10:37 PM
Was one of the better post season games played in a long time. Thought Oakland was going to win but not to be.

chaddurbin
10-02-2014, 12:56 AM
It was nice to see that small ball is still alive and well with the way that power has dominated the game over the last 25 years. It can take you far if you play it right.

lol...in a sport where the manager makes a negligible difference i'm sure glad ned yost is making the decisions against the angels out here.

freakhappy
10-02-2014, 01:01 AM
For a Royals fan, it was crushing to see Oakland go up by 4 runs the way they did but I haven't seen a comeback of that magnitude like that since Game 6 of the '85 World Series. Great comeback and win and I'm thrilled I made the decision to head out and watch it in person at the last second....

btw...got to see the game with Family too. I'm on the right in the photo....

And Brian....why are you the only one NOT wearing a KC shirt???:D;)

shammus
10-02-2014, 02:11 PM
A very valid question to be sure. I should have brought a change of clothes but instead decided to go with what I had on at work that day which consisted of Royals colors (sort of). At least I had a Royals hat on though :)

ramram
10-02-2014, 03:26 PM
I was fortunate to be at the game as well. I was absolutely exhausted when it was over.

I was at the game 6 of the KC vs. St. Louis World Series games in 1985 and I thought that game 6 could never be surpassed (the famous comeback with the help of the Don Dekinger call), but I was wrong.

Rob M.

shammus
10-02-2014, 04:03 PM
I was fortunate to be at the game as well. I was absolutely exhausted when it was over.

I was at the game 6 of the KC vs. St. Louis World Series games in 1985 and I thought that game 6 could never be surpassed (the famous comeback with the help of the Don Dekinger call), but I was wrong.

Rob M.

This, in of itself is an interesting topic of conversation for those familiar with both games. I think if you're talking sheer resiliency, Tuesday's game wins out because the Royals had to play from behind so many times in that game and they just simply kept coming back regardless of the score. That sort of unwillingness to go away is something I've never quite seen in a game of that significance.

Although if you're discussing which game is more "significant", I think you still have to go with Game 6. That extended the Series to Game 7 and brought an abrupt end to any momentum the Cardinals had worked up prior. In Game 7, KC won huge. The Royals comeback in the 9th inning there was clearly the catalyst behind us winning the entire World Series.

I'll gladly change my opinion though if we win the World Series this year :)