PDA

View Full Version : Original Collector cards from ebay

bn2cardz
09-30-2014, 01:40 PM
I just won some 1941 Play ball cards off ebay and got a message from the seller that stated:

"...I have held these cards for over 50 years, but its time now to let them go."

I thought that was neat so I followed up with him, responding:

"Wow, 50 years? So these are new to the hobby then. That is very neat. Were you a collector back in the 60's or were these handed down to you? ...I am only 32, so maybe these will stick with me for the next 50 years."

His response:

"Actually I started collecting in the mid-1950's. So come to think of it, I've had them for closer to 60 years. I traded for these cards with a neighboring boy who got them from his father. I thought at the time that 15 year-old cards were close to the oldest things in the universe.
You are off to a good start. You avoided having your mother throw them out. Now avoid having your wife throw them out, or worse yet having your sons trade them away for new cards :)."

To know that I will be the 3rd (4th if you consider the boy that traded them away and father are counted as two) person to ever have these cards and the hobby as not ever seen the cards circulated is a very neat idea to me. Also to add on top of this 4 of the cards are wrong back error cards (I have been collecting the wrong back 1941 Play Ball cards).

ksabet
09-30-2014, 01:50 PM
That's really cool. I have always pondered just who has held my cards and owned them. It's neat to think of the origins and travels of vintage cards.