PDA

View Full Version : Cooperstown Fall Vacation Tips?

nickedson
09-30-2014, 07:29 AM
So my wife and I are heading to Cooperstown for a fall vacation. We've been there several times, beginning in 1979 when I had the opportunity interview and spend time with curator Ken Smith. But I'd welcome any tips on places to visit or good restaurants that you might have. We're only staying 3 days, so we want to make the most of it.

sayhey24
09-30-2014, 07:47 AM
Here are a few random thoughts -- the Hawkeye Grill in the lower level of the Otesaga Hotel is terrific when it comes to capturing the Cooperstown atmosphere. Restaurant has a great old tavern feel and you can walk right out the back and be on the hotel patio overlooking the lake. I have not eaten there, so I can't say how the food is. I was pleasantly surprised by the restaurant at the Cooperstown Lakefront Motel, which is right on the water just a couple of blocks below the HOF. Nice atmosphere and good food -- you feel like you're on the water, although your view is partially blocked by boats and buidlings.
Last time I was there in late summer -- there was a dealer set up in the small VFW hall next to the post office across the street from the HOF. This is where they have the annual card show on HOF weekend.

Greg

nickedson
09-30-2014, 07:58 AM
Thanks, Greg. As luck would have it, we're staying at the Lakefront Motel, just a few blocks from the Hall of Fame. So we won't have far to go to eat.