PDA

View Full Version : MLB Playoff Tickets

Runscott
09-25-2014, 01:50 PM
Well, despite the long-shot aspect of it (we have win 3 out of 4 and either the Royals or A's have to lose 3 out of 4), in honor of the 2007 Colorado Rockies, I still bought Mariner playoff tickets today.

Apparently there weren't many of us with faith - I was able to choose 6th row seats behind third base for the Wild Card game, and for the ALDS I got 1st row seats in my favorite outfield section - 30 minutes after they went on sale.

In Houston, or most anywhere else, I doubt you could have bought a ticket 30 minutes after they went on sale. Besides, season ticket holders had a 2-hour jump on me.

How are the rest of you doing for playoff tickets? Hopefully yours are less imaginary than mine.

barrysloate
09-25-2014, 02:20 PM
I've got front row tickets right behind first base for the upcoming Yankees- Mets World Series.

clydepepper
09-25-2014, 02:29 PM
No, something told me not to get ready to buy Braves' postseason tickets.

What was it? That's right...common sense.
?
:rolleyes:
?

Runscott
09-25-2014, 03:04 PM
When the Braves were still within 3-4 games of the WC, the analysis was that they HAD to make the playoffs - this being a big HOF-induction year for them, and all the recent near-misses. I don't think many people outside of Atlanta realized how good the Braves are at blowing opportunities. I lived there from 1994-2005, so I bought my share of ghost World Series ticket.

Hey Kevin - not trying to rub it in or anything. They did make one positive move the other day :)

barrysloate
09-25-2014, 03:15 PM
Here's an amazing stat I read in the paper today:

In Derek Jeter's entire 20 year career, he never played a home game where the Yankees were not in contention for a playoff berth.

Until tonight. First and only time.

Runscott
09-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Here's an amazing stat I read in the paper today:

In Derek Jeter's entire 20 year career, he never played a home game where the Yankees were not in contention for a playoff berth.

Until tonight. First and only time.

That's an amazing stat. I wonder if Robinson Cano is in the same situation, but lasting a bit longer since he is no longer with the Yankees?

itjclarke
09-25-2014, 03:57 PM
I've got a pair of good uppers for heh Wild Card game if it is in SF (need to pick up 2 games on Pirates)... Then basically travelling most of October, so that's probably my only shot.

ooo-ribay
09-25-2014, 04:42 PM
I've got a pair of good uppers for heh Wild Card game if it is in SF (need to pick up 2 games on Pirates)... Then basically travelling most of October, so that's probably my only shot.

I'm afraid we're one and done this year. We don't really stack up (right now) with the other 3 teams. Hope I'm wrong!! :p

barrysloate
09-25-2014, 05:33 PM

I'm a lifelong Giants fan Ian, but I am appalled at their play this year. At one point they were 42-21 and had a ten game lead on the Dodgers. Look at what has happened to them since then. But they seem to put it into another gear during playoff time, so let's hope for the best.

itjclarke
09-25-2014, 06:36 PM
I'm a lifelong Giants fan Ian, but I am appalled at their play this year. At one point they were 42-21 and had a ten game lead on the Dodgers. Look at what has happened to them since then. But they seem to put it into another gear during playoff time, so let's hope for the best.

Yeah, this has been a weird weird year, and only by benefit of that .667 start are the Giants even sniffing the playoffs.

I need to look up what their two year record with and without Pagan. It's absolutely insane (I think .600+ with, well under .500 without), and was probably even more extreme this year, since he was on board for that complete 42-21 start. This season seemed to turn during a 3 game home series vs the Rockies in which they were swept. Romo blew ninth inning saves on Friday and Saturday.. Saturday's being when a soon to be DL'd Pagan (back) failed to cut off a hit and played a single into a game losing inside the park HR. Romo was demoted, and then the others in the bullpen blew the save (3 run lead in the 8th) on Sunday. I think Colorado then went on to go like 5-25 on the road. The Giants have been 5-10 games under .500 since.

All that said, if they can win the 1 game WC, who knows?? They're definitely outclassed talent wise by most other teams in the field, but they've been absolute gamers come play off time.

Runscott
09-26-2014, 09:21 AM
All that said, if they can win the 1 game WC, who knows?? They're definitely outclassed talent wise by most other teams in the field, but they've been absolute gamers come play off time.

As a fan of two teams that will probably only be WC-sniffers for the next few years, it pains me to say this, but...I like the new WC play-in format - in the past you could be hot as hell going into the playoffs, sneak in as a WC and end up winning the World Series. This year the road is tougher for teams that don't win their divisions, and I think that's appropriate.

But who knows - could be a #2 WC wins it all.

packs
09-26-2014, 10:42 AM
I think the play in game adds some great excitement to the season. But I also think it's a little unfair. The baseball season is 162 games long. And after all that you still have to roll the dice to get in as a wild card team.

Runscott
09-26-2014, 10:45 AM
I think the play in game adds some great excitement to the season. But I also think it's a little unfair. The baseball season is 162 games long. And after all that you still have to roll the dice to get in as a wild card team.

Well, you could win your division, like you had to in the old days.

packs
09-26-2014, 10:49 AM
That's true. No denying the play in game is a lot of fun to watch.

itjclarke
09-26-2014, 03:15 PM
As a fan of two teams that will probably only be WC-sniffers for the next few years, it pains me to say this, but...I like the new WC play-in format - in the past you could be hot as hell going into the playoffs, sneak in as a WC and end up winning the World Series. This year the road is tougher for teams that don't win their divisions, and I think that's appropriate.

But who knows - could be a #2 WC wins it all.

I like the WC play in too.. Like you mention, it brings a true incentive/focus back to winning your division. The WC before was basically the same as winning a division (minus homefield in LDS), and there seemed so little advantage to the teams that had won their division.

I do agree with the point of it's being tough to see a 162 game season come down to one night, but think the pros of the system outweigh the cons.

mets41
09-26-2014, 04:14 PM
I'll trade a set of 1964 phillies world series tickets for any of this year's post season tix.