PDA

View Full Version : New Paypal Policies Updates

chernieto
09-23-2014, 11:48 AM
from a recent Paypal email update
I quote:

• We're increasing the time for buyers to file merchandise disputes (Item Not Received and Significantly Not as Described) from 45 days to 180 days.

In my opinion it seems to open a can a worms. 180 days to report "not as described".

vintagetoppsguy
09-24-2014, 10:28 AM
I'm surprised some of the eBay sellers on this board haven't chimed in on this. 180 days to file an INR or SNAD is ridiculous IMO.

Tracking information is no longer available on the USPS website after 180 days. If a buyer wanted to scam a seller, all he has to do is wait until the 179th day and file a claim. If the seller doesn't respond right away, the tracking information disappears and the seller can't prove the item was delivered.

Any thoughts on this?

D. Bergin
09-24-2014, 10:40 AM
They're coming in line with U.K. standards of "Consumer Protection" apparently.

Obviously they are tired of handing out payments to fraudulent buyers on late chargebacks and other such nonsense, and are once again putting the onus on sellers to carry the load for them.

They want to be a credit card processor without bearing any of the risks that a credit card processor might have to bear.

You would like to see them try to weed out the fraud, instead of penalizing the sellers, but that would take actual effort on their part.

Instead they've been running commercials on TV, essentially hinting to buyers that Paypal is the place to go if you want to be "Protected" and get free stuff.

It's easier and better for the bottom line to just become part of the fraud, rather then do anything about it.

Scott36153
09-24-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm surprised some of the eBay sellers on this board haven't chimed in on this. 180 days to file an INR or SNAD is ridiculous IMO.

Tracking information is no longer available on the USPS website after 180 days. If a buyer wanted to scam a seller, all he has to do is wait until the 179th day and file a claim. If the seller doesn't respond right away, the tracking information disappears and the seller can't prove the item was delivered.

Any thoughts on this?

Really? Wow. I guess start saving screen shots of the delivery confirmation? And with the SNAD... IDK with cards its pretty easy, just photo the heck out of it (graded cards are even easier) and save all those photos as well. I don't sell on Ebay a lot so I am not up with the current scams and such.

the 'stache
09-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Really? Wow. I guess start saving screen shots of the delivery confirmation? And with the SNAD... IDK with cards its pretty easy, just photo the heck out of it (graded cards are even easier) and save all those photos as well. I don't sell on Ebay a lot so I am not up with the current scams and such.

Paypal looks at said screen shot.

"Doctored in Photoshop. Claim denied."

Exhibitman
09-24-2014, 02:35 PM
eBay all but killed card shows and traditional mail order with e-commerce and now eBay and PayPal are doing more to revive face to face and personal commerce than I could ever have imagined. Not to mention the boon to auctioneers.

Scott36153
09-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Paypal looks at said screen shot.

"Doctored in Photoshop. Claim denied."

lol well then IDK.

bnorth
09-24-2014, 03:01 PM
You guys are just not looking at this from the right angle.

Now we can buy someone else's cards list them for 2-3X what we paid and after 5 1/2 months of them not selling we can return them with a new major crease. It is better than the 45 days we get now to return items for any reason.

glchen
09-24-2014, 03:46 PM
As others have mentioned before, paypal is doing this because of rampant credit card charge back issues. Here's another scenario, where after losing the cases, Paypal still decided to refund the seller the original cost of the item: Link (http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=914279&STARTPAGE=1). Therefore, if the Post Office (or other shipper) never updates the tracking as package delivered, you are truly screwed. I've received assistance from Paypal on chargeback issues, and I personally think that Paypal is losing loads of money on this, which was why they made this change. I think credit cards really need to crack down on the fraud happening here. I think the intent for the chargeback was if someone stole your credit card (or credit card number), and not like what is happening here.