PDA

View Full Version : Are Derek Jeter Collectors Crazy?

HolyGrail
09-22-2014, 10:23 AM
For my friends on net54, my latest post on the insane prices for Derek Jeter bats, tickets, and other memorabilia.

http://onforb.es/1B1UbBX

David

GKreindler
09-22-2014, 11:16 AM
I remember being at the Heritage event and watching the Jeter WS bat go for that price...to this day, I still can't believe that it reached such a figure.

I still wonder what the market's gonna be like for his stuff twenty years from now. By then, all of the people who grew up watching him will be into their middle ages, and I feel like enough time will have passed to gain more perspective on his career - will his stuff ever reach the heights of Mantle-esque desirability? I imagine probably not, but I almost feel like he's not gonna have a problem being in that upper echelon of Yankee greats (that is, in the eyes of collectors).

Then again, I probably don't know what the hell I'm talking about and should stick to painting.

Graig

Scott Garner
09-22-2014, 11:43 AM
For my friends on net54, my latest post on the insane prices for Derek Jeter bats, tickets, and other memorabilia.

http://onforb.es/1B1UbBX

David

Yes, they are crazy! :)

bnorth
09-22-2014, 12:32 PM
All of us collectors are a bit touched in the head.:eek::D

MGHPro
09-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Yup- we're crazy and I include myself when I say that. I didn't buy my first Jeter gu bat til 2008 and I paid around 2500 for it unsigned from Steiner. 20-some bats later I wish I could pay that price again today... 2 nationals ago I turned down nice pinstripe for 8k, now I'd be happy to pay 10k for a nice one but you can't find one with actual use.

I'm probably stupid for holding onto what I have as I'm sure prices will drop shortly, but then I start questioning myself and say, what if they don't drop. For me- I grew up watching Jeter, so there's more of an emotional attachment.. sometimes that's runs interference with my business sense .

But back to the question- we're crazy!

packs
09-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Jeter is signing rakes for Steiner so conceivably there are probably thousands and thousands of his game used bats, jerseys, batting gloves, etc. in the market. He probably uses a new one every at bat and hands the last one off to Steiner. I wouldn't think they are particularly rare at all. But of course he'll stop having game used bats after this season so there is a finite supply.

brookdodger55
09-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Jeter is signing rakes for Steiner so conceivably there are probably thousands and thousands of his game used bats, jerseys, batting gloves, etc. in the market. He probably uses a new one every at bat and hands the last one off to Steiner. I wouldn't think they are particularly rare at all. But of course he'll stop having game used bats after this season so there is a finite supply.

He probably uses a new one every at bat and hands the last one off to Steiner.
That could the reason he's only hitting 250 he can't get used to a bat because it's taken from him after each at bat.

ooo-ribay
09-22-2014, 02:43 PM
He probably uses a new one every at bat and hands the last one off to Steiner.
That could the reason he's only hitting 250 he can't get used to a bat because it's taken from him after each at bat.

Also hard to find a 2014 bat with much use because air doesn't leave marks.

Scott Garner
09-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Also hard to find a 2014 bat with much use because air doesn't leave marks.

Good one, Rob! Ouch! :p

djson1
09-22-2014, 05:00 PM
I don't know about being crazy, but I would conclude that they are just really wealthy (or at least allocate more of their disposable income to such things). But then again, really rich people are usually a bit crazy.

marvymelvin
09-23-2014, 09:25 PM
I just want to remind everyone that Derek Jeter is "not dead" just retiring. He will be autographing everything for probably 50 years to come. I repeat he is not dead...he is not dead...just retiring. The countdown to his last at bat seems more like a wake/funeral than a celebration.

I do agree however that his retirement is probably not comparable to anyone in the last 20+ years. I am a lifelong Yankees fan, and collect only Yankees, mostly 1960's and back. I also like nice clean white single signed Yankees balls, but plan to wait for my Jeter ball when I can get one in person for a mere $100 signing fee somewhere in the 2020's.

Right now it seems that his autograph on anything is $600 and up. Equivalent to a Mantle signed ball. I don't even like the look of his signature. Without identification one could not even tell who signed it. It is not readable and is not even close to being aesthetically pleasing.

Maybe we are all trying to catch magic in a bottle and experience something close to the magic of long ago. But, as mentioned, although we haven't seen a comparable retirement in many years, Jeter memorabilia is not a good investment right now and will not hold value.

I know some will say that it is a hobby for them and they are not investing, but I don't understand why collectors can't have both in mind. I love the memorabilia for the aesthetic value, and for the memories of the players involved, but it escapes me why anyone would knowingly and significantly over pay for something "just because".

All common sense supports the monetary value of Jeter stuff dropping off. It is a fact that he will be signing many things to come. There also will be more than enough game used bats to go around. I don't for a minute think that hoarding his used bats has been only a recent activity. I am pretty sure the Yankees organization, equipment managers, and players alike have been stashing away bats at an alarming clip for years.

There is a chance that Jeter stuff retains value for years to come, perhaps because of his clean record and clean play. This is a rare commodity. Far too many players with HOF careers have been tainted with scandal. If Jeter stuff maintains value for this reason I can support that wholeheartedly. But perhaps the same personal values that have made Jeter the player and man he has been will also result in many friendly opportunities in the future for many more autographs to be had.

Just my opinion, not necessarily yours.

David Atkatz
09-24-2014, 12:42 AM
Crazy? Crazy to pay incredibly inflated prices for manufactured drek? Hell, even his game-used stuff is Steiner-manufactured. How many GU jerseys has he sold? Will one ever equal the value of a GU jersey of a good player (and Jeets is only a good player) who had but two home and two road jerseys a season?

yanks12025
09-24-2014, 03:18 AM
Crazy? Crazy to pay incredibly inflated prices for manufactured drek? Hell, even his game-used stuff is Steiner-manufactured. How many GU jerseys has he sold? Will one ever equal the value of a GU jersey of a good player (and Jeets is only a good player) who had but two home and two road jerseys a season?

Lol. Only a good player. Hahaha

packs
09-24-2014, 07:36 AM
The Jeter wasn't great argument is so bizarre to me and I can't understand what it is people are holding onto. The guy played the most premier position for the most premier team for 20 years, was a perennial all star, is 6th all time in hits and was a major reason the team won 5 titles.

I can think of plenty of "good players" who never did any of those things. And I don't even like Jeter. But I see no point in not recognizing the fact that you got to see one of the best players in history over the last 20 years.

David Atkatz
09-24-2014, 07:55 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/23/keith-olbermann-derek-jeter_n_5870860.html?fb_action_ids=101527338932397 01&fb_action_types=og.likes

CrazyDiamond
09-24-2014, 07:55 AM
The Jeter wasn't great argument is so bizarre to me and I can't understand what it is people are holding onto. The guy played the most premier position for the most premier team for 20 years, was a perennial all star, is 6th all time in hits and was a major reason the team won 5 titles.

I can think of plenty of "good players" who never did any of those things. And I don't even like Jeter. But I see no point in not recognizing the fact that you got to see one of the best players in history over the last 20 years. Does he really need to be taken down a peg? Who was better?

Agree 100%. I would love to add a jeter item to my collection but i have a really hard time paying for it. Whether you like him or not you have to give credit where credit is due. He played the game hard through his whole career and you cant overlook all the accomplishments mentioned in your post.

He is a true ball player. Plays the game like he loves it. It is plays like his "double cut relay play" where he backhand flipped the ball to posada. That is the kind of "baseball smarts" that are hard to find now. Knowing the situation and making what i feel is one of the greatest plays ever you can compare it to the Willie Mays "Catch". I have to remind a lot of people that it was not only "the catch" that made that play so great it was the throw back in saving the run.

I do think those of us that were not fortunate enough to see the mantles, mays, williams, etc. were lucky to see jeter play.

I have to add i am not a yankees fan either

gregr2
09-24-2014, 07:57 AM
I've been wanting a Jeter signature but refuse to pay the current asking prices. To me, it is just unrealistic. Like others have stated, I'll also wait 6-10 years and hopefully the prices will drop to a reasonable area and I'll pick one up for what I believe it to be worth.

MacDice
09-24-2014, 08:00 AM
Let me start off by saying that I am not a Yankee or a big Jeter fan. That being said, I would like to see him pull a Ted Williams and not play again after his final home game. I think that after 20 years, that the last time he is on the field and in uniform should be at Yankee Stadium and the home town fans.

packs
09-24-2014, 08:24 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/23/keith-olbermann-derek-jeter_n_5870860.html?fb_action_ids=101527338932397 01&fb_action_types=og.likes

There is a difference between being a great player and the greatest player. Reducing his career to him being a so-so good player is bizarre.
Olberman's arguments about him not leading the league in categories or leading the Yankees has no place in the discussion. Why? Because it ignores the fact that Jeter played shortstop, the premier position on the field and a position that sees constant turn over. Except in the 20 years he stood there. Nomar, Arod, Tejada, where are they? What are their legacies? You can find Jeter at short.

I also don't really like that Olberman picks and chooses his stats. He says Jeter's offense was lacking but doesn't say anything about how Jeter is 20th all time in offensive WAR. Ahead of players like Jimmie Foxx, Griffey and Albert Pujols.

His defensive metrics are way off base too. The key to being a great shortstop and not just a good one for a little while is staying on the field. Jeter is 2nd all time in games played at the position.

Olberman has an agenda. He doesn't like Derek Jeter for some reason. I don't know what the reason is, but I'm sure it's not a good one.

David Atkatz
09-24-2014, 08:48 AM
Jeter is 2nd all time in games played at the position..Yeah. And how many runs has that cost the Yankees?

packs
09-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Well it won them 5 titles.

David Atkatz
09-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Well it won them 5 titles.All by himself, huh? They stopped winning when the '98 core was gone. Jeter was still at short, but the WS trophies were no longer in NY.

packs
09-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Probably should have traded him then. Mariano too.

David Atkatz
09-24-2014, 09:00 AM
Probably should have traded him then. Mariano too.Wouldn't have made any difference. Losing is losing.

packs
09-24-2014, 09:02 AM
Only hit 308 in the postseason and a scrubish 20 homers. Dragging everyone down.

David Atkatz
09-24-2014, 09:06 AM
.308 in the postseason and 20 homers? A very good year. That's all. Very good.

packs
09-24-2014, 09:08 AM
That's generous. I probably would have left him off the roster.

David Atkatz
09-24-2014, 09:10 AM
I'm sorry for you that he's the best Yankee you ever saw. You missed a lot.

packs
09-24-2014, 09:14 AM
Thank you for your condolences. I will try to be strong.

yanks12025
09-24-2014, 09:16 AM
I'm sorry for you that he's the best Yankee you ever saw. You missed a lot.

Are you even a yankee fan? You do nothing but make negative comments about them, the players, the new stadium.

David Atkatz
09-24-2014, 09:33 AM
Are you even a yankee fan? You do nothing but make negative comments about them, the players, the new stadium.What? Only Yankee fans are allowed to speak of the great Jeter?

No. I'm not a Yankee fan. Not any longer. The Yankee organization are the greatest group of money-grubbing hypocrites I've ever seen (Other teams do it, too, but not to the degree the Yankees do. And no other organization does it better.) And the product? Took my eleven-year-old son to the Stadium a while ago--he wanted to see Jeter. Sitting in nosebleed territory--the only seats a regular Joe can afford, and I'm wondering "Who the f*&k are these guys? Have we gone to a minor league game by mistake?"

Gary Dunaier
09-24-2014, 02:48 PM
A couple of months ago, I started this (http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=190932) thread in response to Steiner's asking $999.99 for a 2014 All-Star Game Program signed by Derek Jeter. This was the day after the ASG was played.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3905/15157974839_ca43b82be9_b.jpg

Incidentally, Steiner has since reduced the price to a more budget-friendly $709.99.

David Atkatz
09-24-2014, 05:14 PM
I'll take two!

packs
09-25-2014, 08:14 AM
Man, with this weather there is a small part of me that takes delight thinking about some guy who paid $400 bucks or more to see Jeter's last game ending up with a rain check for some random game next year.

I am with you on the ridiculous expense that has become being a fan of the Yankees. Strangely last year I had no problem at all exchanging a rain check ticket for what ended up being Mariano Rivera's last game. Got good seats too.

autograf
09-25-2014, 01:33 PM
Got a signed ball and mini helmet in person in Louisville here when he and Tino Martinez came in for the University of Louisville BB kickoff luncheon once. Tino Martinez was the brother-in-law of Lelo Prado....the Louisville coach. Jeter was a very gracious guy and signed for a while although my ball got signed on a side panel. For a freebie though, a great deal. I'm sure Steiner would only charge $699 for it on the side panel.

I understand the frustration with the hype but that's the media's fault. I don't know how anyone could fault Jeter as both a player and seemingly as a pretty decent guy. Between the PED dudes, wife beaters, dog chokers and other miscreants the sports world offers, he seems to have done things pretty much the right way.....

Runscott
09-25-2014, 03:35 PM
I sometimes look at Jeter stuff, but can't get past his horrible-looking signature. Luckily, all the autographs I've been interested in are at least displayable.

btcarfagno
09-25-2014, 03:37 PM
I hope they are crazy. I have a pair of game worn items that I wouldn't mind selling.

Tom C

Gary Dunaier
09-27-2014, 01:49 AM
I watched the game on TV and in the bottom of the 5th inning, Jeter hit a foul ball to the third base side, retrieved by the ballboy. Instead of tossing it into the crowd, he held on to it, reached into his back pocket, and gave another ball to a kid in the stands. (In the screen capture below, the ballboy has the ball Jeter fouled in his glove, and is reaching into his back pocket for another baseball.). The cameras cut back to gameplay and didn't show what the ballboy did with the ball (thank goodness for mlb.tv, there's no way I would have remembered any of this myself!), but I presume it was specifically put aside with other Jeter-related balls to be authenticated and then go to Steiner for sale.

Scott Garner
09-27-2014, 05:50 AM
I watched the game on TV and in the bottom of the 5th inning, Jeter hit a foul ball to the third base side, retrieved by the ballboy. Instead of tossing it into the crowd, he held on to it, reached into his back pocket, and gave another ball to a kid in the stands. (In the screen capture below, the ballboy has the ball Jeter fouled in his glove, and is reaching into his back pocket for another baseball.). The cameras cut back to gameplay and didn't show what the ballboy did with the ball (thank goodness for mlb.tv, there's no way I would have remembered any of this myself!), but I presume it was specifically put aside with other Jeter-related balls to be authenticated and then go to Steiner for sale.

How creepy and contrived is that!!

Man, now I REALLY want a piece of all this Steiner/Jeter memorabilia.
Wait, maybe I should wait for the Jeter signed broomsticks. THAT would be cool! :eek:

bnorth
09-27-2014, 07:52 AM

I noticed that also, I figured the ball boy was going to keep it for himself.

Gary Dunaier
09-29-2014, 09:12 PM
I figured the ball boy was going to keep it for himself.

I don't think ballboys are allowed to keep the baseballs they retrieve.

I was also surprised to see the ballboy give the kid ANY ball. I make no claims to being expert on the subject, but a few times over the years I casually noticed that while players and coaches did toss "dead" balls into the stands, ballboys generally put them aside. Had this ballboy not given the kid a ball, I wouldn't have thought anything about the Jeter foul ball being retained.

packs
09-30-2014, 06:58 AM
I don't know about today, but I've seen some baseballs in the past that have come from ball boy collections.

yanks12025
09-30-2014, 07:32 AM
I'm sure the ball boy kept it.

baseball tourist
10-01-2014, 05:35 PM
I'm sure the ball boy kept it.

Off topic (not Jeter) but did anyone notice that the A's left fielder gave the ballboy Perez's walk off game winning hit in the wildcard game last night in KC? 29 years in the making...would be a cool item to hold on to, but I bet that Perez or the team would demand it.

Runscott
10-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Yes, the bellboy gave the fan the ball out of his pocket.

Runscott
10-01-2014, 06:29 PM
I was trying to see if that foul ball ended up authenticated by ML Baseball, but found this instead - complete list of everything they authenticated.

The curious part is items HZ474514-HZ474557: 44 unidentified game-used baseballs. Looks like they just rounded up a bunch of balls, to be defined later. This should be interesting. Wanna bet they all end up being from Jeter at bats?

MLB normally has all baseballs identified, right down to the last detail of use, within 24 hours of game end - when they show up in the authentication database, they are fully-defined. These obviously are not.

HZ474505 - Martin Prado Game-used Clubhouse chair
HZ474506 - Martin Prado Game-used Clubhouse chair sleeve
HZ474507 - Bryan Mitchell Game-used Clubhouse chair
HZ474508 - Bryan Mitchell Game-used Clubhouse chair sleeve
HZ474509 - Chase Whitley game used locker chair
HZ474510 - Chase Whitley game used locker chair sleeve
HZ474511 - Eury Perez game used locker chair
HZ474512 - Eury Perez game used locker chair sleeve
HZ474513 - Game-used jersey Derek Jeter removed in top of the 2nd inning
HZ474514-HZ474557- Game-used baseball (9/25/2014 - BAL at NY)
HZ474558 - Bat used for Jeter's final hit in Yankee stadium
HZ474559 - Yankees official batting order card
HZ474560 - Orioles official batting order card
HZ474561 - Gatoraide Bucket used in Yankee dugout
HZ474562 - Gatoraide Bucket used in Yankee dugout
HZ474563 - Derek Jeter left glove
HZ474564 - Derek Jeter right glove
HZ474565 - Derek Jeter game used fielders glove
HZ474610 - Batting tee removed from Yankees batting cage

David Atkatz
10-01-2014, 06:53 PM
This ^^^^^ is why I hate modern baseball.

Runscott
10-02-2014, 10:32 AM

David, it's the 44 game-used baseballs from that night that lack identification, that concerns me. My assumption would be that they all go to Steiner for whatever purposes/labeling his company sees fit. I would not touch anything in that hologram number range. Even legit, they go for a fortune.

bnorth
10-02-2014, 10:49 AM

I hate modern baseball because of the completely stupid unbalanced schedule. I used to go to Minneapolis to games and liked the fact I could go see good teams like the Yankees or Red Sox play more than one series a year. Sorry Royals fans but who the heck wants to see teams like the Twins play the Royals 20 games a year.

glynparson
10-02-2014, 06:30 PM
Was great mo was better

yanks12025
10-02-2014, 06:34 PM
David, it's the 44 game-used baseballs from that night that lack identification, that concerns me. My assumption would be that they all go to Steiner for whatever purposes/labeling his company sees fit. I would not touch anything in that hologram number range. Even legit, they go for a fortune.

Scott,
Why don't get your facts straight. First off the yankees don't authenticate baseballs down to the pitcher and batter and whether the ball was a strike or a baseball hit, etc. They have always just did a general blank team vs Yankees on blah blah date. The red sox do the same thing. not all teams have the mlb person hologram every single detail.

Runscott
10-02-2014, 07:20 PM
They have always just did a general blank team vs Yankees on blah blah date.

Thanks, Brock - that makes me feel much better about the Yankees balls.

Hopefully my statement that none of these had any details did not upset you too much.