PDA

View Full Version : T206 eBay vs online auction house

Honus2
09-21-2014, 02:15 PM
I have been buying many graded T206 off of eBay from reputable dealers and want to better understand the pros and cons of buying from ebay auction vs reputable auction houses with professional catalogs. Price? Quality ? Other? Thanks

Econteachert205
09-21-2014, 02:18 PM
If you're only buying graded it's kind of just a matter of weighing ebay fees against buyers premiums in auctions. You have to separately register for each auction house so that's a bit of a pain...

Sean
09-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Ebay is fine for commons, but if you want high end cards (rare backs, rare combinations, print anomolies, etc.) you will do better with REA, Goodwin, or some of the other catalogue auctions.

Honus2
09-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Guess what I am getting at is- if I have a high end t206 card why would I post it with an auction house when I can get better visibility on eBay? The answer helps me understand the T206 marketplace. In general do you find the auction houses result in a better price for a graded card from a buyers standpoint? I am sure this gets debated throughout the industry but when spending serious $$ it pays to understand the market.

granite75
09-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Most of the clientele on eBay is bargain hunting. Auction house would have fewer buyers with generally deeper pockets. It's flea market vs. antique shop. The cost to sell is usually is about the same.

1952boyntoncollector
09-21-2014, 08:29 PM
also several auciton houses you have to pay by check...cant do credit card

so there are more buyers out there that have credit card but not enough cash for big purchases...thats why housing market was so good years ago...banks let people get mortgages real easy...when just looking for cash buyers that limits the amount of buyers..