PDA

View Full Version : A smorgasbord of fakes.........

Brian Van Horn
09-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Thank you member Sean for tipping me off to this group:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-1910-T206-TOBACCO-CARD-PUTTMAN-/131300064037?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1e9217fb25

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-1910-T206-TOBACCO-CARD-CHANCE-/131300063569?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1e9217f951

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-1910-T206-TOBACCO-CARD-DONLIN-/131300063679?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1e9217f9bf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-1910-T206-TOBACCO-CARD-HINCHMAN-/131300063785?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1e9217fa29

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-1910-T206-TOBACCO-CARD-HOFFMAN-/131300063917?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1e9217faad

Sean
09-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Thanks Brian. I really like those Green EPDGs. :rolleyes:

Leon
09-19-2014, 12:39 PM
I like the descriptions...

"Like New: An item that looks as if it was just taken out of shrink wrap. "

Bocabirdman
09-20-2014, 03:54 AM
I contacted the seller and in the friendliest, politest tone that I could muster, listed as many of the things wrong with those cards as I could (No Factory/Wrong color backs/Bad Name Font/ Black vs. Brown ink/Borders from hell..etc.), before my fingers started to bleed:D. I suggested that he may want to take the listings down to avoid heartache and headache.

My reward? An e-Mail in my box this morning states, " Thank You for your input."

From now on, though we all know that it is a hit or miss proposition, at best, I will just report all bogus cards to the Bay. It is simpler and probably more accurate to assume that the sellers are punks and not just uniformed.:eek:

Brian Van Horn
09-20-2014, 06:59 AM
I contacted the seller and in the friendliest, politest tone that I could muster, listed as many of the things wrong with those cards as I could (No Factory/Wrong color backs/Bad Name Font/ Black vs. Brown ink/Borders from hell..etc.), before my fingers started to bleed:D. I suggested that he may want to take the listings down to avoid heartache and headache.

My reward? An e-Mail in my box this morning states, " Thank You for your input."

From now on, though we all know that it is a hit or miss proposition, at best, I will just report all bogus cards to the Bay. It is simpler and probably more accurate to assume that the sellers are punks and not just uniformed.:eek:

Mike,

I appreciate it, but I fear that both of us will end up with keyboard carpal tunnel.

Leon
09-21-2014, 07:16 PM
I am not a 70s Topps collector but those of his actually look ok from the scans, albeit not high grade.

Cmount76
09-22-2014, 05:10 PM
I am just getting started into T206's and very often I see people who can quickly identify fakes from online pictures. I know this is a skill I need to acquire (so as not to get screwed over), but I don't have it yet.

What do you see so quickly? What are you picking up on that the untrained eye is missing?

Bocabirdman
09-22-2014, 05:38 PM

In this post earlier I rattled off a few easy points. Let me know if any of them do not make sense to you and I can provide more details..

Cmount76
09-22-2014, 05:45 PM
No, I read and understood your point.

I guess my question is - Is there a source that can inform me on those points (and others) or is it just loads of practice looking at EPDG's? Do they all have uniform back coloration? What font am I looking for? Do they always have a factory?

As I said, I want to begin this set, but want to know as much as I can before I begin, so I don't purchase cards like those, or similar ones.

chernieto
09-22-2014, 07:27 PM

I guess my question is - Is there a source that can inform me on those points (and others) or is it just loads of practice looking at EPDG's? Do they all have uniform back coloration? What font am I looking for? Do they always have a factory?

As I said, I want to begin this set, but want to know as much as I can before I begin, so I don't purchase cards like those, or similar ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-1910-T206-TOBACCO-CARD-DONLIN-/131300063679?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1e9217f9bf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Mike-Donlin-Fielding-Sovereign-150-PSA-3-Only-3-Total-Graded-Highest-Known-/161426511925?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2595c51835

Look at the difference in type on the name and team- The first listing - the fake has a different looking font or type.
The EPDG's have red print on the backs, not green or other colors.

Sean
09-23-2014, 04:48 AM

Maybe this will help:

1- When I first saw the Donlin, my initial thought was that this card looked too good to be true. The corners were nearly perfect, and on a 100 year old card that is extremely unlikely. Not impossible, but I thought that the card was likely a fake.
2- Then I notice that the white borders are too large. On a real T206 they would be smaller. If you can't tell the difference yet, I suggest you buy some raw cards from our BST board and use them for comparison.
3- When I look closer I see that the name is printed in the wrong font and color. This is a dead giveaway. The font on the fakes is taller and thinner than on a real T206. Again, get some real cards for comparison. Also, the fakes are printed in Black ink. T206s were printed in Brown ink.
4- I look at the back, and I notice that there are no Factory, District and State numbers on the bottom, meaning that this is a real cheap-ass reprint. All T206 backs were printed with these numbers. If a card has these numbers it could still be a fake, but if they are missing, there is no doubt that it's a reprint. To see examples of how they should look, go to T206resource.com and check the back gallery.
5- Looking at some of the other cards, I notice that the EPDG backs are printed in blue or dark green. Real EPDG backs are always printed in red ink. These cards are so bad that it's laughable. Check the T206resource.com site. It will show the correct color for each back.

So to make a long story short (if that's possible at this point):use the above website, get a couple real cards, and if you still aren't sure, ask the Board. Feel free to PM me if you have a specific question or card you wish to ask about. I'm always happy to help, and so are most of the Net54 Board members. :)

Cmount76
09-23-2014, 02:47 PM
After looking at the link and then looking at the examples - it really is laughable! Thanks for the heads up - As I begin taking on The Monster, I need to be able to do this on my own...

This was so helpful and informative!

Leon
09-24-2014, 11:21 AM
After looking at the link and then looking at the examples - it really is laughable! Thanks for the heads up - As I begin taking on The Monster, I need to be able to do this on my own...

This was so helpful and informative!

And that is precisely what I hope this board is for.....besides the Group Breaks!!

Sean
09-24-2014, 01:16 PM
And that is precisely what I hope this board is for.....besides the Group Breaks!!

And the t-shirts. :D

Bocabirdman
09-24-2014, 01:18 PM
And the t-shirts. :D

I am here for the women.

MikeGarcia
09-24-2014, 01:24 PM
... I like pictures of quarters...

Bocabirdman
09-24-2014, 01:33 PM
... I like pictures of quarters...

As you see by my avatar, I like quarters of pictures......