PDA

View Full Version : Blackburne to Myers to Hoffman

t206hound
09-18-2014, 04:06 PM
I was recently sent scans of a Myers (Batting) with a ghost by Jantz. The card had a Sweet Caporal 350 Factory 30 back. Before I even looked at the card, I had remembered that I had identified Myers (Batting) on a card owned by irishdenny. I also asked him for scans and suggested that I could guess the factory number (30) knowing that the card was slabbed as a Sweet Cap.

I believe we have another instance of neighbors, in this instance in Sweet Caporal 350 Factory 30: Lena Blackburne - Chief Myers (Batting) - Danny Hoffman.

Further, if you look at the offset ghosting on the Myers and Hoffman cards... they REALLY APPEAR that they fit together... as though the cards were physically from the same sheet. The offset appear to be equivalent and placing the cards together makes the Myers ghost appear to fit perfectly. While this may not actually be the case (cards from the same physical sheet), at least we have more evidence on cards that appeared together.

Appreciate any comments/feedback on this!

wolf441
09-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Wow, really incredible work Erick!

I swear if a collector with deep pockets would fund T206 research and take our best guys on Net54 (Erick, Chris, Steve B, etc...) and pay them an exorbitant sum to do nothing but work on the set for a year, we'd have these all of these mysteries locked down!

:D

Matvoo
09-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Agree with steve we should have a t206 research centre

Luke
09-18-2014, 05:02 PM
Awesome detective work Erick!

09-18-2014, 05:23 PM
Wow, really incredible work Erick!

I swear if a collector with deep pockets would fund T206 research and take our best guys on Net54 (Erick, Chris, Steve B, etc...) and pay them an exorbitant sum to do nothing but work on the set for a year, we'd have these all of these mysteries locked down!

:D

Agree with steve we should have a t206 research centre

Here at the T206 Research Center, it is our goal to continually facilitate ethical meta-services and synergistically provide access to principle-centered catalysts for change while maintaining the highest standards. Our challenge is to enthusiastically initiate web 2.0 methods of empowerment as well as continue to professionally network extensible paradigms. We will work together to continually optimize economically sound methods to stay competitive in tomorrow's world.

http://img.radio.cz/pictures/c/veda/biocev.jpg

Paul S
09-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Here at the T206 Research Center, it is our goal to continually facilitate ethical meta-services and synergistically provide access to principle-centered catalysts for change while maintaining the highest standards. Our challenge is to enthusiastically initiate web 2.0 methods of empowerment as well as continue to professionally network extensible paradigms. We will work together to continually optimize economically sound methods to stay competitive in tomorrow's world.

Who gets a corner office?

Jobu
09-18-2014, 07:33 PM
Awesome work!

Two questions.

1) For the Myers-Hoffman cards that might actually share an edge, do you have scans of the backs of these cards lined up? I am curious about the spacing between the ads as that might support/refute whether they were actually neighbors. It would be really cooll if they were.

2) The images on these cards look complete. What color is it that is responsible for this type of a light ghost image?

Keep it up Erick, I love reading these posts.

t206hound
09-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Awesome work!

Two questions.

1) For the Myers-Hoffman cards that might actually share an edge, do you have scans of the backs of these cards lined up? I am curious about the spacing between the ads as that might support/refute whether they were actually neighbors. It would be really cooll if they were.

2) The images on these cards look complete. What color is it that is responsible for this type of a light ghost image?

Keep it up Erick, I love reading these posts.

Great questions, and no (good) answers from me. :p

1) Maybe Jantz and Denny can post the back images... I don't have them.

2) I've always assumed it was black, but I'm actually not certain.

Jobu
09-18-2014, 08:06 PM
I've assumed black too, but after studying things over the last few weeks it seems to me that there ought to be more black in the ghost images than what is actually there. Maybe I am wrong and this is way off base (please correct me if so) - I have read that a well-inked stone is good for 100-200 printings so I wouldn't think it was a case of the black stone just being struck twice.

Great questions, and no (good) answers from me. :p

1) Maybe Jantz and Denny can post the back images... I don't have them.

2) I've always assumed it was black, but I'm actually not certain.

t206hound
09-18-2014, 08:25 PM
I've assumed black too, but after studying things over the last few weeks it seems to me that there ought to be more black in the ghost images than what is actually there. Maybe I am wrong and this is way off base (please correct me if so) - I have read that a well-inked stone is good for 100-200 printings so I wouldn't think it was a case of the black stone just being struck twice.

Steve B is the resident expert on printing in general; hopefully he can chime in.

Jantz
09-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Good work Er!ck!

I knew you were the right man for this task.

To shed a little more light on the subject, I purchased a Myers with a ghost at the National. When I got home, I compared it to a scan of another Myers ghost. I didn't know till now who owned it, just that I had seen another Myers ghost somewhere. It appears to me that the Myers I purchased has a different ghost image on the left. So 2 Myers cards with different ghosts.

Both cards have the same back as Er!ck has mentioned.

Images to follow.

Jantz

wolf441
09-19-2014, 07:22 AM

"On behalf of the DeGroots, Dr. Alvar Hanso, and the rest of the T206 Initiative, Namaste and good luck."

With your screen name, at least I know you'll get the reference! :D

09-19-2014, 08:11 AM
"On behalf of the DeGroots, Dr. Alvar Hanso, and the rest of the T206 Initiative, Namaste and good luck."

With your screen name, at least I know you'll get the reference! :D

Right out of the mouth of Pierre Chang! Or was it Marvin Candle? :D

Jantz
09-19-2014, 11:09 AM
Here are scans of the two Myers.

t206hound
09-19-2014, 11:23 AM
While the offsets are different on the two Myers cards, the adjacent player is the same: Blackburne.

"Number One"
http://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=161139&stc=1&d=1411077125

"Number Two"

insccollectibles
09-19-2014, 12:02 PM
I own the Myers ghost pictured and the Hoffman was sold in the same auction.

t206hound
09-19-2014, 12:40 PM
I own the Myers ghost pictured and the Hoffman was sold in the same auction.

Well THAT'S very interesting!

clydepepper
09-19-2014, 01:02 PM

When I look at this, I can't help thinking how much it resembles Passages Malibu. :D

t206hound
09-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Based on info from the owners of the cards, I found images of both backs in CardTarget. Hoffman on the left, Myers on the right... you be the judge if they are possibly from the same sheet:

http://www.cardtarget.com/ebayauction_image_serve.php?imageID=1305109560&width=370.737605804111http://www.cardtarget.com/ebayauction_image_serve.php?imageID=1277306481&width=372.188633615478

Jobu
09-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Looks to me like the spacing on the backs lines up as well as the fronts. Too bad there isn't a scratch or other mark right at the border of both.

Jantz
09-19-2014, 09:55 PM
When I look at this, I can't help thinking how much it resembles Passages Malibu. :D

"I should know, I used to be an addict for 10 years and now I'm not." (from the commercial)

Nice work Er!ck.

Thanks again for your help.

The Myers & Hoffman backs look identical to me.

Jantz