PDA

View Full Version : First HOF Class Question:

clydepepper
09-15-2014, 08:26 AM
Does anyone know if, besides the famous 1939 induction photo, any more than two of the first five were ever photographed together?

We've all seen pictures of

Cobb & Ruth,
Cobb & Wagner,
Johnson & Ruth,
Mathewson & Johnson,

but I don't remember seeing any other combinations.

Please feel free to share if you have one.

Hankphenom
09-15-2014, 09:56 AM
At the 1943 War Bond exhibition at the Polo Grounds, the group photo has Ruth, Johnson, and Wagner. And a year later, Connie Mack had his all-time team at Shibe Park with these three included. Supposedly, Cobb didn't want to put on a uniform after he retired, although I have seen pictures from the 1950s of him wearing one at old-timer functions.

parkerj33
09-15-2014, 10:14 AM
Who were all the folks in these pics?

clydepepper
09-15-2014, 04:08 PM

The ones I can make out are:

Top photo; top row, left to right:

?- Eddie Collins- ? - Connie Mack -? - ? -George Sisler

Top photo; bottom row, left to right:

Honus Wagner- ?- Babe Ruth - Walter Johnson - Tris Speaker

Bottom photo- left to right:

Al Simmons - Babe Ruth - ?( maybe Tris Speaker) - Walter Johnson - ? - Connie Mack -

?- Cy Young- ? - Eddie Collins - George Sisler.

clydepepper
09-15-2014, 04:10 PM
At the 1943 War Bond exhibition at the Polo Grounds, the group photo has Ruth, Johnson, and Wagner. And a year later, Connie Mack had his all-time team at Shibe Park with these three included. Supposedly, Cobb didn't want to put on a uniform after he retired, although I have seen pictures from the 1950s of him wearing one at old-timer functions.

Thanks Hank - I should have guessed you would have some. I bought your book and am eagerly looking forward to reading it.

sbfinley
09-15-2014, 04:46 PM

Top Picture

Top: Lewis, Collins, Bresnahan, Mack, Klem, Murry (I think), Sisler
Bottom: Wagner, Frisch, Ruth, Johnson, Speaker

Bottom Pic
Simmons, Ruth, Speaker, Johnson, Grove, Mack, Dickey, Wagner, Hoyt?, Collins, Sisler

buchner
09-15-2014, 11:22 PM
Baker not Hoyt

Hankphenom
09-16-2014, 07:25 AM
Thanks Hank - I should have guessed you would have some. I bought your book and am eagerly looking forward to reading it.

Just occurred to me that since Cobb isn't in the 1939 photo, either, there may never have been a photo of the four of them together.

Runscott
09-16-2014, 09:44 AM
At the 1943 War Bond exhibition at the Polo Grounds, the group photo has Ruth, Johnson, and Wagner.

Simply amazing, incredible photo. The best ever. :)

packs
09-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Wags looks to be 300 in that photo.

clydepepper
09-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Just occurred to me that since Cobb isn't in the 1939 photo, either, there may never have been a photo of the four of them together.

You would think that Wagner/Mathewson & Cobb/Johnson might have occurred at least once - since they played in the same 8-team leagues.

I believe I have seen Mathewson and Cobb together in their WWI uniforms.

Hankphenom
09-17-2014, 05:08 PM
I've seen several of Cobb and Johnson. And here's two more with three of them together, Christy Walsh Syndicate photos.