PDA

View Full Version : 1955 Bowman Question

kailes2872
09-12-2014, 07:52 PM
I have a question about 55 Bowmans.

There are two 55's in a lot that I have that have a light grain border around the TV. These cards are also in better shape than the rest of the 55's. I don't want to embarrass myself (any more than what is already done) and sell a card as authentic if it is not.

Can you let me know if the lighter bordered cards are reprints? I included a couple of the dark bordered ones and the two light bordered ones. I have looked on the backs (I included front and back scans) and they look alike - i.e. no note of a different date, etc.

I appreciate the help, thank you

nolemmings
09-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Your cards are not reprints. That set came with cards that had both light and dark shades/tones of wood grain.

savedfrommyspokes
09-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Todd is correct that these cards are part of the set... the lowered # cards from this set come in the lighter woodgrain finish.

kailes2872
09-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Thank you!

Paul S
09-13-2014, 07:52 AM
Todd is correct that these cards are part of the set... the lowered # cards from this set come in the lighter woodgrain finish.

This may be true. But here's something that has always mystified me: I have quite a few cards from this set. Some of the dark wood cards show part of a light wood card adjacent to it (see Adcock below), and the opposite with light wood showing dark wood next to it (see Schoendienst). Who would lay out a sheet like this?! To make it more stoopifying, My Johnson, which is horribly miscut (ouch, can't we get a rabbi with a steady hand?), should then be showing a light grain card at the right border, but doesn't. Anybody have a sheet?

savedfrommyspokes
09-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Paul, I have noticed the same thing....I have no explanation for why some of the lowered numbered cards (with lighter borders, #s 1-64) are on the same sheet as cards with the darker bordered cards. I have not seen an uncut sheet to see the layout Bowman used. However, this old thread at least mentions how the sheets were laid out (8 across x 4 rows ). http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=120822

It would make sense that if there are 32 card sheets, that there should be two full sheets for the first 64 lighter bordered cards with no darker border cards included.

In flipping through some of my cards, I found card #s 25-30 all have darker border cards to their left edge, and found cards 34, 35 and 40 have darker border cards to the right.

Paul S
09-13-2014, 07:51 PM
It would make sense that if there are 32 card sheets, that there should be two full sheets for the first 64 lighter bordered cards with no darker border cards included.

In flipping through some of my cards, I found card #s 25-30 all have darker border cards to their left edge, and found cards 34, 35 and 40 have darker border cards to the right.

Thanks. I don't think my own findings would be andy different than yours. The enigma remains.

moeson
09-15-2014, 06:28 PM
So, what's going on with the right (red) and bottom (black) borders on this card?

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i349/mirhow/img810_zps7244532f.jpg