PDA

View Full Version : SGC Autograph Authentication

wastewater
09-12-2014, 09:34 AM
There was a big thread posted about SGC entering the autograph authentication business earlier this year but have not seen a lot of follow-up. I had a few items I was considering sending them and their price is certainly right. They are for my personal collection but would like to have the authentication/encapsulation to protect the card and for easier resale later on - got a mix of old and new items.

Anyone have any experience with SGC autographs, buying, submitting or selling over the past few months?

Thanks,
Adam B.

Runscott
09-12-2014, 10:14 AM
There was a big thread posted about SGC entering the autograph authentication business earlier this year but have not seen a lot of follow-up. I had a few items I was considering sending them and their price is certainly right. They are for my personal collection but would like to have the authentication/encapsulation to protect the card and for easier resale later on - got a mix of old and new items.

Anyone have any experience with SGC autographs, buying, submitting or selling over the past few months?

Thanks,
Adam B.

If I get a card graded, I always choose SGC over PSA. I think their expertise is better and my perception is that they are more honest. But I also saw how reluctant they were to i.d. my Casey Stengel postcard, despite having all the detail right in front of their faces, so it makes me question how much research they are willing to do with an expensive autograph.

I do not get autographs slabbed by either PSA or JSA for reasons I've discussed before, so no need to repeat. But because of those reasons, if you feel you have to get an autograph slabbed, I feel that any company that is reputable and enters the autograph authentication market, whether they slab cards or bake cookies, is a better choice than PSA or JSA.

Also, friends I trust are giving SGC the thumbs-up for autographs. If it's a totally separate branch of the company, and has hired better researchers than exist on the card side, then they could be a welcome entrant to the TPA market.

MikeKam
09-12-2014, 11:55 AM
So far everything I've seen, that I'm familiar with, has been encouraging from SGC.

jbsports33
09-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Had a Willie Mays signed bat done this past summer and a few other autos also a large amount of cards too! Service was great