PDA

View Full Version : Recently won Keeler Portrait - Concerned

Rayl
09-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Hi,

I recently won a PSA 5 Keeler portrait. I'm a little concerned with the card because of the way the PSA holder looks. First there is a sticky substance on the bottom of the holder, second, there seems to be a hairline crack in the same area and third, some of the ink on the letters on the left side and the right side of the label seem to run. Not one of the many psa graded T206s I purchased have an ink running issue. Should I be concerned? Has anyone seen this? Will post a pick soon. Thanks. Ray

Rayl
09-08-2014, 09:39 PM

Rayl
09-08-2014, 09:40 PM
See how it runs? Haven't seen that before. Maybe I'm paranoid. Anyway. Thanks for looking.

Tao_Moko
09-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Can you scan an image of the full card? Does it appear to be graded higher than it should? Look trimmed, etc.? Unless it has a high grade it wouldn't be a card that I think someone would go to great efforts to fake slab. From what Incan see of the card it looks authentic:)

Bpm0014
09-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Is this a joke?

Rayl
09-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Why would this be a joke?

Luke
09-08-2014, 09:51 PM
It has an awful lot of issues for a 5, but it is definitely authentic, if that's what you're wondering.

Runscott
09-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Ray, I think you being paranoid. I get it, but just relax and don't worry about it. Post a scan of the entire card and we can give you better responses.

(There is nothing wrong with being paranoid - if they really are out to get you, it's best to be prepared).

Luke
09-08-2014, 09:55 PM

chris6net
09-08-2014, 09:59 PM
I hope this is not a joke

Luke
09-08-2014, 10:05 PM
I think it's a legitimate question. The corner wear is pretty strange, and would have been enough for me to stay away. I would bet that is just over-graded, and not doctored but it wouldn't shock me either way.

smtjoy
09-08-2014, 10:16 PM
The bottom of the slab does show much more frosting than is normal, just compare to the top which looks fine. At first glance card look ok but would want to see back scans too. it might just be a damaged slab, I get them from time to time from shipping back from PSA and the package gets dented.

the 'stache
09-08-2014, 11:37 PM
I'd like to see the back, too.

Here's one of my flips, from a 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr PSA 9. It shows some of the same bleeding. It was printed at about the same time as your card, if you look at the flip numbers.

40676759 Keeler T206
40676975 Griffey Jr 1989 Upper Deck

http://imageshack.com/a/img746/9224/o7u6ww.png

One of the first things I always check is the barcode. Make sure it matches the card's number.

PSA uses interleaved 2/5 for their barcodes. All you need to do is take a scan of your card, and copy the flip, making an image of just the flip like I did, and save it as a unique image. Then, upload it to a site that will decode the barcode (ie tell you which number it represents).

Here's one I use:

online-barcode-reader (http://online-barcode-reader.com/)

The barcode for my card shows the same number, 40676975. I would bet yours does, too. Now, there are likely people out there making bogus flips that have figured out not to screw that up. I look at that first, and I also look at the typeface being used in the flip. From what I can see of your flip, the typography looks correct, too. Also, check the slab itself. Look along the seams on the sides, and the top. There shouldn't be any areas where it looks like the seams have been split.

Take your card, with one hand hold the top of the slab, with the other, hold the bottom. Very gently, try to articulate the slab along the seam that runs parallel to the card's top. If the slab is stiff, you should be ok. If you're able to start bending the slab back and forth, and you show greater than normal frosting, then you want to have us look at it. We would really want a scan of the card, both sides, in higher resolution (dpi). I think you're ok, because the amount of frosting I'm seeing doesn't appear to be enough to crack the case, and remove a card. But I can never be 100% sure without looking at a card in person.