PDA

View Full Version : Get a life or a hobby ezez420

Gobucsmagic74
09-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezez420

Not sure I follow the safety deposit box comment when you bought the card on eBay for under $1000 a week or so ago. Yes I bid on it and sure others as well.

Given that you state it's better than a 1.5 but won't regrade steers people like me away. That is why I bid. Just the facts. Good luck though it is a nice card. Ed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74

Ed,
Have we met? Not sure why you'd bother contacting me if you're not interested in purchasing or making an offer, but since you inquired the safety deposit box comment means that's where the card is heading if it doesn't sell in the next couple days. Note I didn't say back to the safety deposit box, because as you noted I just recently purchased the card and am in no way trying to hide that fact. Hell, I used the same pictures from the listing.

I can re-grade, and likely will, whenever I choose to but thought I'd try to flip since I bought the card with a 10% off ebay coupon that was expiring and this card gave me the most bang for the buck. Plus I was able to purchase the true object of my desire from the same seller, a '14 CJ Fred Clarke in SGC 30 (see August pickups) and again, only purchased this one on a flyer.

Thanks for your concern regarding the entire situation though and feel free to get back in touch if you have an actual offer to make.

Regards,
Dan
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Dan,
Rather than put it on the board I figured I would PM. We have done a good transaction before. I forget though. Maybe when you regrade and it comes back better I will but at this point skeptical.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Feel free to pose the question on the board, I'd be more than happy to explain in the event others are confused as well. There's nothing to hide here so you're skepticism is of no real concern of mine (especially since you seem much more interested in trying to call me out than in the card itself), and no, we haven't done a deal or you'd be tagged in my signature line and at present you're not.

Enjoy your evening,
Dan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I will pose an offer of $700 as that is what is being asked for in your post. This way you can see I am just not busting balls. If not, good luck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Quote:

Card sold on eBay within 2 hrs of listing. I just wanted to keep you fully in the loop since you showed such grave concern and skepticism. In other words, bite me.

Dan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

I am not sure your point now after making an offer and you turning down. Is it the fact that you are avoiding eBay fees and outright telling me to forward to eBay or are you telling me as if I should care.

Apparently you are very attached to your cards or the ones you have for two weeks. But I get it, the cards love you back like a family. I am so happy that you made 20% on your card I told everyone. Yes I know Scott who you bought from and happy he made 4x his money off someone like you.

I can only imagine what your safety deposit box looks like with all the cards that have to be put back. Thanks for trying to rub it in.

Ed

Peter_Spaeth
09-07-2014, 07:56 PM
"Not only that, but payment is being sent via paypal gift f/f and the deal will be canceled on ebay after receipt."

???
So you will pretend there was no sale even though there was?

Gobucsmagic74
09-07-2014, 08:00 PM
No sale has been consummated as he's asked to make installment payments which isn't an option available to buyers on a budget

vintagetoppsguy
09-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Here's my take based on the PMs you posted and the B/S/T thread: His PM to you was uncalled for, but you should have thicker skin. Offsetting penalties. Replay the down.

Peter_Spaeth
09-07-2014, 08:02 PM
So why did you complete the ebay deal, then cancel it?

Gobucsmagic74
09-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Here's my take based on the PMs you posted and the B/S/T thread: His PM to you was uncalled for, but you should have thicker skin. Offsetting penalties. Replay the down.

Down has been more than replayed

Gobucsmagic74
09-07-2014, 08:04 PM
So why did you complete the ebay deal, then cancel it?

It hasn't been canceled, he hasn't paid me

Peter_Spaeth
09-07-2014, 08:12 PM
Why WILL you cancel it then, if you intend to go through with it?

Gobucsmagic74
09-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Why WILL you cancel it then, if you intend to go through with it?

Maybe I won't. That's really none of your concern me thinks

Peter_Spaeth
09-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Only quoting you, before you edited your post.

"Not only that, but payment is being sent via paypal gift f/f and the deal will be canceled on ebay after receipt."

Gobucsmagic74
09-07-2014, 08:16 PM
All you karma police should get lives...that's more than half the point here

Gobucsmagic74
09-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Only quoting you, before you edited your post.

Do you own ebay stock? Either way you'll be okay

Centauri
09-08-2014, 07:52 AM
Dude...

Moonlight Graham
09-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Call me crazy, but do we really need to have threads like this?

Leon
09-08-2014, 08:17 AM

Well, if something happens and someone wants to make a display of it should we not allow it?

Moonlight Graham
09-08-2014, 08:31 AM
I understand what you're saying Leon and the freedom that we have on this board is great, but some of these threads seem like they should just be handled between the parties involved and not be made into such a public display.

Mikehealer
09-08-2014, 08:32 AM

You're not crazy.

Luke
09-08-2014, 08:36 AM
Gobucmagic:, After that shady move you tried to pull with the E95 Crawford, I would think you would be laying low, trying to act ethically, and giving people time to forget that you're a scumbag rather than calling attention to yourself like this. This thread isn't making you look good.

Leon
09-08-2014, 08:40 AM
I understand what you're saying Leon and the freedom that we have on this board is great, but some of these threads seem like they should just be handled between the parties involved and not be made into such a public display.

I agree it would be better to handle it privately. From personal experience on the board that is the usual best way to do it. However, when someone puts something out here, unless it's egregious or way against the rules, I think it should be let go. Many times these things have a way of taking care of themselves. Also, many times people get to know others by what they post. (see Luke's response above) So limiting that is an injustice on a few levels..again, all in my opinion. I could be wrong :).

calvindog
09-08-2014, 08:41 AM
I own eBay stock.

Moonlight Graham
09-08-2014, 08:44 AM
The only reason that I even commented on this thread is because we have a lot of members that have so much knowledge about this hobby, and there is so much that we can learn about cards/sets from them that it just seems like a waste of time/energy to start a thread over a personality dispute. I mean, no one was being scammed-it's just a difference of opinion. And we all deal with people like that if we sell on Ebay.

Leon
09-08-2014, 08:49 AM
The only reason that I even commented on this thread is because we have a lot of members that have so much knowledge about this hobby, and there is so much that we can learn about cards/sets from them that it just seems like a waste of time/energy to start a thread over a personality dispute. I mean, no one was being scammed-it's just a difference of opinion. And we all deal with people like that if we sell on Ebay.

You have started approximately 2-3 threads that were not selling something in the last 2+ years. Maybe starting a few more good threads would help the board as much as commenting on this one? I should mention that you are not alone, most members don't start good threads.

Moonlight Graham
09-08-2014, 08:50 AM
You are absolutely right Leon-by the way happy belated birthday!!

Leon
09-08-2014, 08:54 AM
You are absolutely right Leon-by the way happy belated birthday!!

thanks for the B'day wishes...and my comment wasn't a total dis on you. It really is more a message to all members that the lifeblood of the forum is good threads. I am always hopeful members will participate. But if they don't then that is their business and not a big deal. We'll just plug along the way we have for the last 13 yrs......It's all good.

batsballsbases
09-08-2014, 09:14 AM
I own eBay stock.

Jeff
-1:D:D I have all my money tied up in Steiner stock!

PM770
09-08-2014, 09:15 AM
I agree it would be better to handle it privately. From personal experience on the board that is the usual best way to do it. However, when someone puts something out here, unless it's egregious or way against the rules, I think it should be let go. Many times these things have a way of taking care of themselves. Also, many times people get to know others by what they post. (see Luke's response above) So limiting that is an injustice on a few levels..again, all in my opinion. I could be wrong :).

This sums it up perfectly. This thread says way more about the OP then it does his target.

Rich Klein
09-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Please note the people such as Moonlight who are now commenting on this thread need their full name to be on their posts as per board rules

Rich

bn2cardz
09-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Please note the people such as Moonlight who are now commenting on this thread need their full name to be on their posts as per board rules

Rich

Moonlight didn't give an opinion of a person, only of the thread itself. That doesn't merit a name. If it did I am sure Leon would have said something in his reply.

The OP was closer to breaking a rule than Moonlight. The only thing that saved him is that after the fact Leon gave approval.

Things you may not post:
...Personal emails and/or correspondence should not be posted on the board, except with approval from the moderator and only under extraordinary circumstances.

Moonlight Graham
09-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Sorry about that.

Joe Kemmett

Leon
09-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Moonlight didn't give an opinion of a person, only of the thread itself. That doesn't merit a name. If it did I am sure Leon would have said something in his reply.

The OP was closer to breaking a rule than Moonlight. The only thing that saved him is that after the fact Leon gave approval.

He didn't get approval from me (or another moderator I am aware of) to start the thread with the PMs. That being said,. I try to take things mostly on a case by case basis. If I can let something go then I usually do. If there are personal things that shouldn't be there, imo, then they get asked to be removed one way or another. My MO as moderator has always been the same though, to try to let things go and not get in the way too much. I did put his full name out there per the rules though. And one other thing, Andy's comment on Moonlights full name being out there was correct and not against the rules as he hadn't given an opinion of a person or company. I feel most debates need full names too.....

ksabet
09-08-2014, 11:41 AM
For some reason whether right or wrong I always get a little smile when an OP complains about someone and slowly it begins to backfire.

Not sure why this is news or even if we need to beware.

I am adding preemptively that I am not attacking the OP just am not a fan of necessarily complaining. There may be some info I am not aware of just doesn't seem severe enough to put someone out like that.

btcarfagno
09-08-2014, 03:37 PM
You have started approximately 2-3 threads that were not selling something in the last 2+ years. Maybe starting a few more good threads would help the board as much as commenting on this one? I should mention that you are not alone, most members don't start good threads.

Pretty much all non-selling threads I start are complete crap. That doesn't stop me though. I'm like the honey badger of net54 bad threads. Relentless.

Tom C

frankbmd
09-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Pretty much all non-selling threads I start are complete crap. That doesn't stop me though. I'm like the honey badger of net54 bad threads. Relentless.

Tom C

Crappy thread starters are not an endangered species on Net54.:D

Runscott
09-08-2014, 03:51 PM

Tom C

Any time I open a thread and see a pile of email and PM exchanges, a little of my breakfast comes up.

Peter_Spaeth
09-08-2014, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=frankbmd;1319873]Crappy thread starters are not an endangered species on Net54.:D[/QUOTE

He who started the most popular thread in history speaks with authority. :D

Leon
09-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Crappy thread starters are not an endangered species on Net54.:D

Half of the threads I start get nothing. It's good I have high self esteem. :o

Peter_Spaeth
09-08-2014, 04:31 PM
Half of the threads I start get nothing. It's good I have high self esteem. :o

Try:
SGC vs. PSA
What's your favorite set?
Why do you collect?
Do you prefer T206 portraits or action poses?
Another fake Wagner?

Runscott
09-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Is this Mantle autograph good?

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Peter_Spaeth
09-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Who else belongs in the Hall of Fame?

Ladder7
09-08-2014, 04:49 PM
I am not attacking the OP just am not a fan of necessarily complaining.

WHAT?!. This from a Costanza fan! Incidentally, thought I'd ad more guano to this dumb thread.

chipperhank44
09-08-2014, 04:50 PM
For some reason whether right or wrong I always get a little smile when an OP complains about someone and slowly it begins to backfire.

You're not alone....my favorite is when the backfire is obvious from the beginning and you have the time to grab some popcorn and hit refresh.

ooo-ribay
09-08-2014, 06:17 PM
I'm confused.....who needs to get a life? Dan? Ed? Both? :confused:

Griffins
09-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Try:
SGC vs. PSA
What's your favorite set?
Why do you collect?
Do you prefer T206 portraits or action poses?
Another fake Wagner?

Or "where should we go in NYC for a dinner get together"

slipk1068
09-08-2014, 06:24 PM
I sometimes feel like a thread killer. As soon as I comment, a thread dies. With any luck, my mad thread killing skills will continue with this thread.

chaddurbin
09-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Or "where should we go in NYC for a dinner get together"

sorry T, this joke doesn't work anymore as 95%+ of the present members won't get it...sadly.

Peter_Spaeth
09-08-2014, 06:46 PM
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=146876&highlight=dinner

Econteachert205
09-08-2014, 06:51 PM
This thread has gone pretty far afield so let me just say Kevin Bacon.

auggiedoggy
09-08-2014, 07:22 PM
You're not crazy.

+1

Eric72
09-08-2014, 07:24 PM

marvymelvin
09-08-2014, 11:58 PM
It is obvious to me that Ed was, in his own way, trying to be kind at the end of his initial responses. Maybe he shouldn't have been nitpicky about your "threat" to put it into your safety deposit box, but I understand his reaction to silly threats in order to get someone to buy your stuff.

We se stuff like this all of the time, like "If it doesn't sell tonight I am going to...blah blah blah" Or my favorite, "if you don't have five figures don't waste my time". It's like saying if you're a poor sucker get lost.

When I am at shows, and see something I want, I will ask the seller what his best price is. Some sellers will inevitably say "but my offer is only good if you buy it right now." Or, "my price is only good for today". It is funny because I almost always don't buy it right then if they are silly like that. I just don't like the threats or manipulation. It is dishonest, annoying, and manipulative. It just seems like it is manipulative to threaten to put it into the deposit box if I don't buy it right now. I mean how difficult is it to go to your bank and get the card if someone wants to buy it?

Another pet peeve is, "buy it now before I change my mind!" By the way, when I go back the next day to the sellers booth, or weeks later to the shop/store, they always sell it to me for the same best price despite the threats. I kind of see it like this. It seems that Ed is just a bit annoyed by silly, immature, manipulative threats. At the end of the day you don't have anything we can't find somewhere else. I really want to give you the understanding that you were just being funny or sociable. But Ed clearly tried more than once to be civil after his comments and you got more and more combative. You are not helping yourself with manipulative threats to sell your goods, and definitely not helping yourself by posting your conversation. I know of many on here including me who will just turn away.

I have dealt with Ed more than once, and he is just a straight forward no-nonsense guy. He says it like is, his description of items is always spot on, and his pricing is almost always reasonable and right on without nonsense.

Leon, if you need my full name posted here please let me know. ***Name added***

barrysloate
09-09-2014, 04:51 AM
For the 95% who may not have been on the board for the legendary NYC dinner thread:

About eight years or so ago, a bunch of us who live around NYC decided to get together for a dinner somewhere in Manhattan. I started the thread and it seemed easy enough. Just get a list of the people who were in, pick a restaurant, set a time, and get together. Well, it would have been easier to achieve world peace than it was to get the group to agree on a place, a day, a time, or on any other aspect of it. The thread went to more than 500 posts and ended in rancor, with many quitting and saying they no longer wanted to be a part of it. There must have been a civics lesson in there somewhere- how do you get a group of like minded people who refused to agree on anything to finally come together.

We did eventually meet and had a great time, but the thread has lived in hobby lore.

GregMitch34
09-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Okay, let's do another NYC dinner. Where? When? Who's in? Ha.

Leon
09-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Okay, let's do another NYC dinner. Where? When? Who's in? Ha.

If I am not mistaking I was ready to buy a plane ticket (already ok'd by my wife) to go have Dinner with everyone....then at the last minute Jim Crandall came in and the whole thing changed and I bowed out. Those were the days!!

barrysloate
09-09-2014, 09:05 AM
That sounds familiar Leon. And yes, Jim C. had a very narrow window when he could make it, and it did not jibe with the others. So we just fought and fought for days. On some level it was kind of funny.

Rollingstone206
09-09-2014, 09:28 AM

Peter_Spaeth
09-09-2014, 09:34 AM
My take on claims that cards are great candidates for bumps -- if they were that great candidates, the sellers would do it themselves. I would never buy a card based on the belief it would get into a higher holder.

Leon
09-09-2014, 09:48 AM
My take on claims that cards are great candidates for bumps -- if they were that great candidates, the sellers would do it themselves. I would never buy a card based on the belief it would get into a higher holder.

While I agree with you about not buying a card based on it getting into a higher grade holder, I wouldn't completely dismiss the possibility. I know there will be at least a few cards in our upcoming auction (still taking consignments, shameless plug :)) that are in quite old holders and are indeed great candidates. The consignors didn't care about the holders and feel that with large scans the cards will sell themselves; I agree. But to buy a card thinking it will definitely bump up is not a wise strategy long term.

calvindog
09-09-2014, 10:02 AM
While I agree with you about not buying a card based on it getting into a higher grade holder, I wouldn't completely dismiss the possibility. I know there will be at least a few cards in our upcoming auction (still taking consignments, shameless plug :)) that are in quite old holders and are indeed great candidates. The consignors didn't care about the holders and feel that with large scans the cards will sell themselves; I agree. But to buy a card thinking it will definitely bump up is not a wise strategy long term.

Agree. There's always the chance for a half point bump on any card; many people would never bother to submit such a card prior to selling it. And as Leon says, I've got undergraded cards which are 1/1 in a 40 holder; it makes no sense to resubmit them for a bump because the value is in the rarity and not the grade.

2dueces
09-09-2014, 10:02 AM
For the 95% who may not have been on the board for the legendary NYC dinner thread:

About eight years or so ago, a bunch of us who live around NYC decided to get together for a dinner somewhere in Manhattan. I started the thread and it seemed easy enough. Just get a list of the people who were in, pick a restaurant, set a time, and get together. Well, it would have been easier to achieve world peace than it was to get the group to agree on a place, a day, a time, or on any other aspect of it. The thread went to more than 500 posts and ended in rancor, with many quitting and saying they no longer wanted to be a part of it. There must have been a civics lesson in there somewhere- how do you get a group of like minded people who refused to agree on anything to finally come together.

We did eventually meet and had a great time, but the thread has lived in hobby lore.

You're right Barry. Wilson had an easier time founding the League of Nations.
I've seen your name on the docs that you were on that panel too. :)

Peter_Spaeth
09-09-2014, 10:10 AM

I never dismissed the possibility. I just think in almost all cases (especially if the card is already a .5 as this one is) it's relatively if not highly unlikely, and I don't like it as a sales pitch.

GregMitch34
09-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Yeah, that card already got a "bump" to 1.5

On the other hand, SGC recently give me a full point bump on a CJ 14.

kcohen
09-09-2014, 04:45 PM
What is the best grade this PSA 1.5 Nap Lajoie could expect to get resubmitted to PSA or crossed to SGC?

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=159345&stc=1&d=1409793701

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=159346&stc=1&d=1409793712

Wow! This thread took a hard 180 degree turn with this post. Or was this card going to be the topic of discussion at the next NYC dinner?

Peter_Spaeth
09-09-2014, 05:18 PM
It's being offered by the OP with a "great candidate for a bump" pitch.

Gobucsmagic74
09-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Actually its sold. Lets keep it going though fellas.

cubsfan-budman
09-09-2014, 06:21 PM
This went from being the worst thread ever to being tolerable thanks to a pretty decent thread jacking.

Nice job.

CobbvLajoie1910
09-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Mentions of Jim C and "bumps" in the same thread, mutually exclusively, just seems flat-out wrong. :D

I wonder what has become of all those slabs?

Ah, those were the days.

ooo-ribay
09-09-2014, 06:50 PM
On the other hand, SGC recently give me a full point bump on a CJ 14.

Did they "give" it to you or did you pay for it? ;)

kcohen
09-09-2014, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=Peter_Spaeth;1320327]It's being offered by the OP with a "great candidate for a bump" pitch.[/QUOE]

Thanks Pete for helping me find my way back to the beginning and allowing me to make heads or tails of this imbecility.

itjclarke
09-09-2014, 08:48 PM
This went from being the worst thread ever to being tolerable thanks to a pretty decent thread jacking.

Nice job.

Directing this thread back to the original topic (maybe a bad idea:eek:), but just seeing it and wish I'd chimed in earlier--- I had probably my best overall N54 dealing/transaction with Dan. Should add- I've never had a bad transaction here (out of dozens), but Dan was great to deal with and a total class act prior to/during/post sale. For many reasons this will remain one of my most memorable pick ups. Thanks again Dan.

That said, I have very little issue with anything said in Ed's PM's either, and have exchanged pleasant messages with him re-offered cards. Overall, seemed to be much ado about nothing (or very little)... a minor disagreement, or even just a misunderstanding between two guys. IMO, probably better that it have been dealt with privately, but at the end of the day not a big deal on either side.

... now back to dinner in NYC, bumps and all other unrelated topics.

ezez420
09-10-2014, 02:04 PM
I really didn't want to post in this but since Gobucsmagic74-Dan wanted to put my username in the post and delete what he really said, I figured I would repost it so everyone can see in the future. Not sure why he deleted it as it was said to me.

"Card sold on eBay within 2 hrs of listing. Not only that, but payment is being sent via paypal gift f/f and the deal will be canceled on ebay after receipt. So in summary, $1295, and will be splitting the ebay fees of $130 minus shipping. I just wanted to keep you fully in the loop since you showed such grave concern and skepticism. In other words, bite me."

For quick reference, here is the link on eBay that is being referred to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1914-Cracker-Jack-Nap-Lajoie-66-PSA-1-5-Much-Nicer-/201164906210?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2ed65cdee2