PDA

View Full Version : Desert Shield Drying up

Zach Wheat
09-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Is it me or does it seem like larger lots of 1991 Topps Desert Shield cards are drying up? I've been traveling quite a bit over the last 6 months - so I have not searched eBay as much. However, when I do search, it seems like, I don't turn up much - just individual cards & team sets.

Is it me or lots of DS cards drying up? And just give an update, I have not found any more non-glow back DS cards, as discovered by Joe/4Reals (link is here: www.net54baseball.com/archive/index.php?t-180932.html).

Opinions?

Z Wheat

sbfinley
09-05-2014, 01:22 AM
I don't follow them much, but when I was in Myrtle Beach SC 2-3 years ago on vacation I stopped in a card shop that had a binder of commons (300-400) for a buck per - the most I had seen in one place in a while. Guy said once or twice a year a retired vet (AF, Army, and Navy all have a presence in the vicinity) will walk in with a nice stack to sell. If you're looking for bulk I'd suggest wanted craigslist adds in areas with a larger military population.

savedfrommyspokes
09-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Is it me or does it seem like larger lots of 1991 Topps Desert Shield cards are drying up? I've been traveling quite a bit over the last 6 months - so I have not searched eBay as much. However, when I do search, it seems like, I don't turn up much - just individual cards & team sets.

Is it me or lots of DS cards drying up? And just give an update, I have not found any more non-glow back DS cards, as discovered by Joe/4Reals (link is here: www.net54baseball.com/archive/index.php?t-180932.html).

Opinions?

Z Wheat

The producers of the counterfeits have moved onto other scores.

savedfrommyspokes
09-08-2014, 10:17 AM
OR, NESC has been hoarding them. They recently listed numerous part sets/ lots with approx 500-600+ cards per set/lot.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_sop=10&_ssn=newenglandsportscards&hash=item566943779f&item=371133216671&pt=US_Baseball&ajxpg=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xdeser t+shield&_nkw=desert+shield&_sacat=0

savedfrommyspokes
09-14-2014, 04:51 PM
Any ideas on how to determine if a 1991 Topps Wax box is actually a Desert Shield wax box?

Here is one that Steve Hart determined is an unopened 91 DS WB...how did he determine this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Topps-Desert-Shield-full-36-pack-wax-box-wrapped-by-BBCE-/131295931996?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1e91d8ee5c

ALR-bishop
09-15-2014, 08:33 AM
I have not followed these since getting a set of them and a couple of unopened packs. I bought the packs on faith from a dealer I trusted since it was my unserstanding that you can not tell the DS packs from the regular packs...unless Zach is right that you might be able to tell by the back of the bottom card in the pack. I do not know if there is some difference in the boxes

Zach Wheat
09-23-2014, 07:51 PM
If Steve says they are legit, then they likely are....and I am sure he bought or is consigning them from a known source. You can't tell if a DS card is legit by the box as all look the same. You can rule out certain packs though.

Legit DS packs should have cards that fluoresce when seen from the backs. You can see the white border fluorescing when looking through the wrapper on the backs. Certain inks used to print DS cards - as discussed in various threads on Net54- will fluoresce. The vast majority of the the backs of the cards showing underneath the white boarder (when looking at the back of the packs) should fluoresce. Some 1991 Topps regular issue cards will also fluoresce - some won't.

Z