PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Item In Your Collection

ruth-gehrig
09-03-2014, 03:42 PM
If someone made you sell everything in your collection but told you one item could stay what would you keep? What one item in your current collection would you not sell/trade no matter what and why? What it is about that one piece that makes you say its a "permanent item in my collection"?

packs
09-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Here's mine. A relatively common N28 of Capt. Jack Glasscock. But to me, this card is everything. My father bought it for me for my 10th birthday (I'm 29 now) raw off eBay and it was the first 19th century card I ever owned. I can still remember staring at it all day long and couldn't tell you anything else that happened that day. I had it slabbed a few years ago to keep it safe.

My dad won't be around forever, but Capt. Jack will be:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/madjams/Glasscock.jpg

Lordstan
09-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Here's mine. A relatively common N28 of Capt. Jack Glasscock. But to me, this card is everything. My father bought it for me for my 10th birthday (I'm 29 now) raw off eBay and it was the first 19th century card I ever owned. I can still remember staring at it all day long and couldn't tell you anything else that happened that day. I had it slabbed a few years ago to keep it safe.

My dad won't be around forever, but Capt. Jack will be:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/madjams/Glasscock.jpg

Nice memory

Playing in the background...

Captain Jack will get you high tonight
And take you to your special island

Econteachert205
09-03-2014, 05:47 PM
I have a similar story for my T205 Bob Ewing. When I was 8 or 9 (32 now), my father took me to see a friend of his named Mr. Pascoe who was a local expert on the Negro Leagues and great collector. I bought the Ewing for five dollars and being in his den surrounded by Paige and Gibson autographed photos was amazing.

Runscott
09-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Easy - bat used in.1911 games against Kansas City Giants and Chicago Lelands Giants.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Scott Garner
09-03-2014, 07:35 PM
That would be tough, but it would either be my Graig Kreindler Vandy painting, or my game used Nolan Ryan 1989 glove.

Nolan used this glove the year that he recorded his 5,000th career strikeout, when he became the oldest pitcher to get a win in the All Star game and strike out 300 batters for his 6th and final time. This photo in 1989 shows him wearing my glove.

Both of these will most likely never leave my collection.

almostdone
09-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Scott. I'll tell you what. You choose one to hold on to and I'll hold the other for you. That way you still own both but I get something way cooler than anything else in my collection to look at.
Seriously, I love your stuff and am in amazement of some of the articles you have acquired.
Drew

Runscott
09-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Scott. I'll tell you what. You choose one to hold on to and I'll hold the other for you. That way you still own both but I get something way cooler than anything else in my collection to look at.
Seriously, I love your stuff and am in amazement of some of the articles you have acquired.
Drew

Yes, Scott acquires articles while the rest of us settle for particles.

Scott Garner
09-04-2014, 04:55 AM
Thanks Drew & Scott! :o
I suppose it's mostly a product of so many years of focused collecting...

I'm truly blessed and fortunate to own both of these items. The glove is special because it took me more than a decade to acquire it once I finally located it.

hcv123
09-04-2014, 06:18 AM
Similar story to those shared above - 13 years old - begged and pleaded with mom for what felt like an hour to get her to shell out $48 for that Clemente rookie. It turned into the beginning of a fantastic experience, collecting, dealing, travelling and meeting so many wonderful people with shared interests and enthusiasm. I have many items more rare and valuable - none as meaningful with as many memories or significance attached.