PDA

View Full Version : 1951 All Star Pennant on EBay

jsage
09-03-2014, 02:25 PM
If you were the under-bidder (or know the under-bidder) on the recently completed sale for a 1951 All Star Pennant (see link below) - please send me an email. jssage24@yahoo.com
Thank you,
Jerry Sage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131280296633?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

perezfan
09-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Oh man, Jerry...

You really got my hopes up, as I was the under-bidder on this one (which also recently closed on ebay...)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1951-DETROIT-ALL-STAR-Baseball-GAME-PENNANT-Briggs-Stadium-Tigers-/331299490614?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item4d22fd0b36&nma=true&si=%252Fd9iU8aJLS9m%252B6rZ%252BDrlr4yaf1A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_160wt_1363

Still stinging from that loss and would love a second chance at it, if anyone here happens to have this variation for sale/trade (pictured below).

I already have the version you referenced, but hopefully the under-bidder for that one will surface for you soon. Best of luck!

Duluth Eskimo
09-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Jerry, I thought you were selling not buying. BTW, those are both nice pennants. I have never seen that darker version and is probably one of the nicest 51's I have seen.

jsage
09-03-2014, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=Duluth Eskimo;1318053]Jerry, I thought you were selling not buying.

Jason - As you know - I am selling.
Looking for the underbidder on the red version because I have the same pennant in my group of pennants that I would sell. As per the photos I sent to you.
Jerry

perezfan
09-03-2014, 04:27 PM
A shame that ebay took away that capability... strong price realized for that one, too!

Tigerden
09-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Yes Mark a real tough '51 All Star pennant for sure. I almost went after it but have run out of wall space . Why the much more common Briggs Stadium variation sold for more (w/o hassles no less)is beyond me. The crossed bats version has to be the rarest of pennants from this year. I first saw this pennant in a book I have about the history of Tiger Stadium called The Corner. Here is a photo of the pennant in rough shape found in the book. I thought it would have sold for more . Congrats to the winner.

perezfan
09-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Great post Adam... the quirks of ebay never cease, I suppose. Why the far rarer (and better condition) one sold for less is a mystery. :confused:

In retrospect, someone got a great buy on that one. It will be a long time before that version turns up again... unless, of course the winner flips it into a Catalog Auction. I'm kinda hoping he does!

I'm always curious about these All Star Game Pennants.... I think the rarer ones may have been sold only at the game itself, whereas the more commonly seen ones might have been sold at the stadiums for a prolonged period (or perhaps the entire second half of the season). Just thinking out loud :rolleyes:

jsage
09-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Great post Adam... the quirks of ebay never cease, I suppose. Why the far rarer (and better condition) one sold for less is a mystery. :confused:

In retrospect, someone got a great buy on that one. It will be a long time before that version turns up again... unless, of course the winner flips it into a Catalog Auction. I'm kinda hoping he does!

I'm always curious about these All Star Game Pennants.... I think the rarer ones may have been sold only at the game itself, whereas the more commonly seen ones might have been sold at the stadiums for a prolonged period (or perhaps the entire second half of the season). Just thinking out loud :rolleyes:

Mark -
I agree with you that the blue pennant is a rarer version and looks to have very nice graphics.
As far as condition: If you take a good look at the back of the pennant it appears to have a dark stain on the top right side, torn top corner in the spine area, a stain on the lower middle as well as the torn bottom tassells. Also no clear photo of the tip.
As we know each buyer has their own reasons for the purchases they make and how much they are willing to pay.
Jerry

Duluth Eskimo
09-03-2014, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=Duluth Eskimo;1318053]Jerry, I thought you were selling not buying.

Jason - As you know - I am selling.
Looking for the underbidder on the red version because I have the same pennant in my group of pennants that I would sell. As per the photos I sent to you.
Jerry

Sorry, I didn't remember that one in the group.

jsage
09-03-2014, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=jsage;1318057]

Sorry, I didn't remember that one in the group.

Jason - No problem - Hope all is well with you.
Jerry

perezfan
09-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Mark -
I agree with you that the blue pennant is a rarer version and looks to have very nice graphics.
As far as condition: If you take a good look at the back of the pennant it appears to have a dark stain on the top right side, torn top corner in the spine area, a stain on the lower middle as well as the torn bottom tassells. Also no clear photo of the tip.
As we know each buyer has their own reasons for the purchases they make and how much they are willing to pay.
Jerry

You're right Jerry... It definitely has some issues, now that you've pointed it out. I'm still trying to digest how one corner looks clipped on the reverse, but appears complete on the front side image.

The front still looks awfully nice when compared to the example in the book.

Both are great pennants.

mrkrab
09-10-2014, 11:35 AM
This pennant was relisted! Guess the buyer didnt pay

Leon
09-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Relisted and the last winner had 5 feedback? Not a red flag but certainly a yellow one...the other bidders had hundreds of feedback. Reserve maybe?

perezfan
09-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Relisted and the last winner had 5 feedback? Not a red flag but certainly a yellow one...the other bidders had hundreds of feedback. Reserve maybe?

If so, it's just another example of irrational ebay greed. He got a better price for it than he should have. I wonder if he even reached out to the under-bidder. :p

Tigerden
09-10-2014, 04:27 PM
This pennant was relisted! Guess the buyer didnt pay

I got real excited thinking the pennant that was relisted was the crossed bats version. Just realized it was the stadium pennant design your talking about. Darn it!!