PDA

View Full Version : Case Cracking Failure: Darn you PSA

shernan30
09-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Have you ever dinged a card while cracking a case?

Guess what, I did today :(:(:(:(

Very depressing :(:(

For those wondering, I prefer my cards raw, but sometimes only graded examples are available. Therefore I crack the cases when adding to my set. SGC are not that difficult, but I knew one day PSA would get me good.

Econteachert205
09-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Been there. It sucks. I watched some videos to improve my technique. Don't think it will happen again

KCRfan1
09-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Have you ever dinged a card while cracking a case?

Guess what, I did today :(:(:(:(

Very depressing :(:(

For those wondering, I prefer my cards raw, but sometimes only graded examples are available. Therefore I crack the cases when adding to my set. SGC are not that difficult, but I knew one day PSA would get me good.

Steve, did you crack the new case or an old one? The new cases look very difficult to crack, and I doubt that I will ever try it.

shernan30
09-01-2014, 01:49 PM
It was a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke
09-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Sorry to hear that :mad:

I always worry about it happening.

refz
09-01-2014, 01:53 PM
I never had an issue with the psa holders. Sgc and the old Gai ones took a little more effort for me.

KCRfan1
09-01-2014, 01:54 PM
It was a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry Steve.

gnaz01
09-01-2014, 01:57 PM
BVG's are almost impossible

Sean1125
09-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Hammer + Flathead Screwdriver is the way to go.

Chip the top corner off /w pliers or the screwdriver (hammer at an angle) and simply leverage the rest of the case, it should pop any of them including BGS.

glynparson
09-01-2014, 02:38 PM
that is the way to do it. Take your time and you'll be fine. That said I rushed on a Rose rookie PSA 8 one time and the screwdriver slipped and ran across the whole back of the card.

vthobby
09-01-2014, 02:47 PM
BVG's are almost impossible

Greg, for me Beckett holders are actually the easiest for a couple of reasons: For one their older cards are in a protective sleeve which gives me a bit more confidence. As mentioned before, a hammer and flat head are all you need....and of course...a little liquid courage! :)

Flat head at top seam and smash it.....preferably on concrete floor in your garage (so the flying plastic shards do not impale your family while watching TV!) :eek:

Same motion a few times at the top seam to make sure it blasts away. Then with the flat head, I just gently pry the 2 pieces apart and gently pull them apart with my 2 hands when I can grab them.

Sounds crazy and shaky but I have never damaged a card. PSA and SGC are fine also but I always do worry when the card is not in a protective sleeve like on BVG cards but still never hurt a card..........."knock on wood" :rolleyes:

Peace, Mik:)

conor912
09-01-2014, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=vtgmsc;1317223]Flat head at top seam and smash it.....preferably on concrete floor in your garage (so the flying plastic shards do not impale your family while watching TV!) :eek:
QUOTE]

+1

I wont's crack BVG slabs without goggles anymore. I seriously came within a millimeter of impaling my eyeball with slab shrapnel once.

vthobby
09-01-2014, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=vtgmsc;1317223]Flat head at top seam and smash it.....preferably on concrete floor in your garage (so the flying plastic shards do not impale your family while watching TV!) :eek:
QUOTE]

+1

I wont's crack BVG slabs without goggles anymore. I seriously came within a millimeter of impaling my eyeball with slab shrapnel once.

Okay..... that is my first +1 which begs a couple of questions.......can you get a -1 at all thereby reducing you back to ZERO? :rolleyes: and......what web site do I go to and shop for goodies with my +1...you know like a credit card reward web site? :eek:

Not trying to be a weirdo here but I'm giving you back a plus 1 for the goggles quote.....SO TRUE! +1 back at ya!

peace,
mik:)

DHogan
09-01-2014, 07:09 PM
I have never tried to free a card from a holder. But, has anyone tried putting one in or on dry ice for a bit and then try to free the card ? Not long enough to freeze the card it self. I have a few graded cards. I'm one of the buy the card not the grade types. I know one or two other ways to use dry ice. We won't got there today. :p