PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Gretzky rookie

jandr272
09-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Looking for helpful hints about buying a Gretzky rookie. I'm looking for a PSA 7 or the equivalent, but with near perfect centering, no diamond cut and good registration. I know I will end up paying a premium, especially for the centering. Things that don't bother me are the rough cut (think it is kinda cool to be honest) and corners.

I know about the line on the back indicating the first print run which typically has better registration, I know about looking for the ice near the skate and the yellow dot on his shoulder for authenticity, but are there any other helpful hints?

CW
09-01-2014, 11:16 AM
looks like you pretty much have all your ducks in a row. I was going to mention the line on the back, but you already know about that.

Some collectors like to see the orange oil drop centered on the Oilers logo, but an OC oil drop never bothered me. :)

The only other hint I would give is to be patient. If you lose out on one example, there's always another Gretzky RC just around the corner.

jandr272
09-01-2014, 02:12 PM
That is a beautiful card! I'd much rather have that kind of beauty than a 8 with pad centering. Thanks for the advice, I will definitely be patient.

jb217676
09-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Here's mine, I love it!

CW
09-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks, James, and good luck! Once you get yours, please post it here.

Gorgeous card, Jeff! Love that rough cut down the left side. :)

jandr272
09-01-2014, 05:48 PM
I would be happy with that too, Jeff. Thanks to both of you giving me some awesome examples to strive for.

marvymelvin
09-03-2014, 02:03 AM
Just make sure you don't settle for a Topps Gretzky. It is like owning a cheap knockoff. Everyone I know who settled for the Topps version because it was more affordable, or because they could get a high grade for cheap, ended up selling it after awhile. Whenever they looked at it, they would sigh and wish it was OPC. Just save your money and go for the right one first. An OPC PSA 7 or better, or you will regret it and end up upgrading later.

jandr272
09-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Just make sure you don't settle for a Topps Gretzky. It is like owning a cheap knockoff.

I appreciate that... I found myself today looking at Topps prices on eBay saying "does it really matter?" then I looked at the back and yes, it does. OPC or bust.