PDA

View Full Version : Did I just screw up?

the 'stache
08-30-2014, 11:14 PM
I was looking at one of the ungraded T206 cards I got recently, a beautiful Sam Crawford throwing. And I mean really beautiful. But it had just a little bit of what looked like a fine pencil line, a very small one, to the left of the subject. I took one of my erasers, a Pentel clic eraser, which, for those of you unfamiliar with them, is a non-abrasive polymer eraser made to remove pencil lead marks. It looked light, not at all like it would leave a physical mark on the surface. I very lightly ran it over the surface, and it seemed to remove a little. I tried my other eraser, a Staedtler Mars plastic eraser, and it did a better job. There' still a small trace of the line, but it looks better. However, it looks like it did ever so slightly lighten part of the background, and I'm wondering if I just goofed up any grading I could have done on the card.

I'll give you guys a few pictures to look at, before and after.

http://imageshack.com/a/img674/903/Eesn8r.pnghttp://imageshack.com/a/img673/4207/F1YQ5c.png

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/8296/JMhb0B.png

I could remove the remainder of that little trace line using just the edge of the Mars eraser, but that would lighten the area further. It's not really noticeable unless you're looking for it purposely, but that little bit of line that remains could guide a grader's eyes there. It was more like graphite dirt, and not any writing that I was trying to clean up.

I would appreciate everybody's input. Thank you!

Luke
08-30-2014, 11:33 PM
I think I would just leave it raw to avoid the possibility of being really bummed if it comes back a 1.5. I don't know if they would notice it, but it seems like something they would be trying to catch. Beautiful card regardless.

the 'stache
08-31-2014, 12:16 AM
Thank you for the input, Luke.

You know, I understand why tpgs have broken their grading down the way they have, but if you look at that card, it's pretty spectacular looking. Ok, so it has a minute little line, and just a hint of lighter background around it. It's not a perfect card by any means. But should that destroy the card's grade? There need to be graduated point deductions, because this card is better looking than a lot of the PSA 4s I've seen. If you have to stare at something under a loupe to see the flaw, it shouldn't carry a heavy fine.

Maybe what I'm saying is that this whole grading thing is BS.

Maybe I'll just keep it, build my set without getting it graded, and when I'm done, I'll get another copy of the Crawford throwing graded, and start a second collection of T206 Hall of Famers.

God, I really wish that PSA, SGC and Beckett didn't exist. It's easy to say "well, then don't get your cards graded", but being what I am, still a broker at heart, I can't simply ignore it, because I know the other people in the market don't ignore it. And if it ever came to pass where something truly horrific happened and I had to sell my collection, having them not graded would greatly impact what I could get for them.

I hate this. I want to just have a beautiful set that I can enjoy. But I can't turn that part of the brain off that says "hey, if you do pop that Walter Johnson portrait out, you're knocking off 1/3 of its resale value.

I think I would just leave it raw to avoid the possibility of being really bummed if it comes back a 1.5. I don't know if they would notice it, but it seems like something they would be trying to catch. Beautiful card regardless.

MattyC
08-31-2014, 01:40 AM
Bill,

Know that there are collectors out there who throw the grade out the window or at least do not let it weigh so heavily in their buying decisions, and thus buy based on eye appeal. So other people in the market do in fact ignore it, to varying degrees. (Heck, I just shattered the VCP average on a 1960 Yaz in 7 because I wanted one with no tilt, no PD on his name, and centering. Some would say, "You paid WHAT?," and yet I'm over the moon to have my dream specimen.)

So if you have beautiful cards, which you do, trust in your good eye and when or if the time ever comes to sell, also trust that there will be those who think like you who will eventually find and want the cards. If it's a 1.5 that looks that great, it will sell for a nice premium.

The grading rules like, "a pinhole or paper loss automatically knock a card down to 1," are arbitrary and not all collectors embrace those standards as their own or look at them as sacrosanct. In the end the individual controls what parts of the brain are switched on and off, so to speak, so you are in total control. I would say enjoy the cards and never let the zany grading game hang you up or hinder your enjoyment of cards and collecting.

Best,

Matt

cincyredlegs
08-31-2014, 06:51 AM
Bill, I think you really screwed it up and should sell it to me for pennies on the dollar. :D

Actually, that is an awesome Crawford before and after. Nice job on the pick-up.

Mark

Tao_Moko
08-31-2014, 06:59 AM
Why holder it? Put it in a 20 card sheet and enjoy flipping through your collection.

08-31-2014, 09:26 AM
Erasure has been discussed a few times before on the board:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=152038

I consider erasing a mark to be an alteration, and therefore only worthy of being slabbed Authentic. A lot of members that I admire greatly disagree, and I respect that.

freakhappy
08-31-2014, 09:56 AM
I guess it may depend on what the mark on the card was actually originated from. If a TPG determines that it is indeed some sort of mark, they would dock you for that and if you continue to experiment until the mark is gone, the erasure would be obvious at that point and the card would show the alteration. So my vote is that you were probably damned either way :D

Regardless it is a nice card and you should enjoy it as such. And honestly, those types of cards are the best 1.5's to have because they are absolutely beautiful with no "real" flaw to take away from the card's appeal IMO.

frankbmd
08-31-2014, 09:58 AM
Bill,

No problem.

When you sell the card,

if it is graded poorly, just include some tin snips to crack the case

if it is raw, just include one of your erasers to finish the job.:D

The one below or perhaps a Milan 4830:confused:, one of my favs.;)

Peter_Spaeth
08-31-2014, 10:05 AM
Creeping up on that 2000th post. :D

Sean1125
08-31-2014, 10:10 AM
Creeping up on that 2000th post. :D

Aren't we all?

Oh wait you're creeping on 5000 :rolleyes:

frankbmd
08-31-2014, 10:15 AM
Aren't we all?

Oh wait you're creeping on 5000 :rolleyes:

Peter is a bigger creep than we are.

Peter_Spaeth
08-31-2014, 10:20 AM
Yaz-like longevity stats. :D

EvilKing00
08-31-2014, 10:51 AM
Nice looking card! Imo i always leave cards "as is" unless they are beaters and paid little so nothing to lose if i mess it up.

Centauri
08-31-2014, 12:33 PM
I would be interested if the OP bought the card as a 4-5 rating, or if he bought low because of the flaw.

In any case, I agree with many others that like those low rated cards that look great - which is really the worst case scenario here.

ooo-ribay
08-31-2014, 06:58 PM
Maybe what I'm saying is that this whole grading thing is BS.

God, I really wish that PSA, SGC and Beckett didn't exist.

That's my take, but I collect memorabilia, not cards. :p

the 'stache
08-31-2014, 08:39 PM
I would be interested if the OP bought the card as a 4-5 rating, or if he bought low because of the flaw.

In any case, I agree with many others that like those low rated cards that look great - which is really the worst case scenario here.

I just liked the card. I didn't see the little mark before I bought it, but when I got it, I thought it was just a little nick that would come off easily. It wasn't writing so much as it was just an errant pencil mark, which is why I tried to just wipe it off. Even with just the lightest of pressure, though, it took a little white off.

Oh well. I'll submit it with the rest and see how it goes. It's still a beautiful card, and one would think it would grade pretty well. If it's a low grade, I won't enjoy it any less, and it would command a premium for a card of its grade. I just want uniformity with my collection, so I'll have to decide on a tpg to do my entire collection.

Thanks for the input, all. If anybody else would like to comment, I'd appreciate reading your advice or input.

the 'stache
08-31-2014, 08:44 PM
Yaz-like longevity stats. :D

It would seem that I am more a sprinter with this post count I've jumped out to. But I assure you that I am conditioned for the long haul. :p

HalChaseCollector
08-31-2014, 08:56 PM
I much prefer the lighter background