PDA

View Full Version : The Green Cobb Roadshow

frankbmd
08-30-2014, 06:17 PM
If you are chasing a 518 card Monster, sooner or later you are going to need a Green Cobb. It was my last card. So here's the deal.

A bona fide Green Cobb reproduction is being offered with a market value of $5.00. Like me about one year ago, wolf441 has 517 different cards, but still needs the Green Cobb. He will be receiving the card below

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/frankbmd/z-folder/19388/g-cobb

Upon receipt his Monster Number will become 517* indicating his ownership of the green Cobb. Should he purchase a real Green Cobb, he will be required to sell the Green Cobb for $5.01 (each purchaser is required to add one penny to the price to help cover the cost of shipping:D) and he will lose the asterisk. Each owner will therefore donate the cost of shipping without substantially increasing the cost of the card. With a greater increment the price of the Cobb could increase to a point where it could not be sold and I would be arrested, Hi Bernie;).

Each owner of the Green Cobb after one month could be required to sell the Green Cobb if there is a willing buyer. With each transfer a post in this thread is required stating the new owner and the current value. With this format anyone who buys and sells the Green Cobb will only lose the cost of shipping minus one penny as the sale price will be the purchase price plus a penny. After an ownership transfer post, the owner of the Green Cobb will receive the asterisk in the Monster Number thread so that interested parties can quickly identify the current owner from whom to purchase the card. If you want to post a picture of the Green Cobb when you have it, please feel free to do so as this is a roadshow after all.

Any similarities between this thread and the Travels of Large Ass Herzog are purely coincidental. ;)

GoldenAge50s
08-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Your mind must be on a whirl 24 hrs a day! When do you sleep?:D

Matvoo
08-30-2014, 06:42 PM
Thats a pretty good reprint if you tell me

Luke
08-30-2014, 10:59 PM
Is that a real back?

BicycleSpokes
08-31-2014, 12:27 AM
Frank, fun idea!

Just trying to learn something here, while we are at it...

Most T206 reprints I see on ebay are pretty easy to spot, often due to the name font, etc. This one, and a few others I have seen like it, unfortunately seem excellent. Apart from it not being graded, are there any distinguishing features of the card that tip it off as being a reprint? At least based on the scans, I could easily be fooled by this one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tiger8mush
08-31-2014, 05:47 AM
Thats a pretty good reprint if you tell me

If the owner says its fake ...

wolf441
08-31-2014, 06:06 AM
I'm honored to be the first recipient of the dirTY fake GREEN COBB!! He'll be tagging along for some end of the summer fun on Cape Cod next weekend, pictures will follow... :D

shernan30
08-31-2014, 06:22 AM
Frank, you always have the best posts. I may collect The Monster just to be a part of the fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter_Spaeth
08-31-2014, 08:35 AM
Nobody does fun like Frank!! :)

frankbmd
08-31-2014, 08:42 AM
To respond to some of the questions posed about authenticity, a few more images might be be helpful for some.

The first image shows the fake Cobb on the left next to a real Cobb in comparable condition. The front image excluding the border is taller on the fake. The overall coloring on the fake is also too green everywhere: green face, green hair, green uniform and even greenish borders.

The second image attempts to show the width of the printing on the reverse.
The fake Cobb printing on the left is narrower than the authentic Piedmont 150 back on the right. I do not think this card was rebacked with an authentic P150 reverse.

The third image shows Three Finger Brown over the fake Cobb. Notice the taller image on the Cobb card.

The fourth image shows a stack of nine T206 cards on edge. The thick brownish one in the middle is the fake Cobb, which is on stock twice as thick (or more) than a regular T206. The card is also quite stiff as a result. In hand there is no doubt.:eek:

The final image shows the fake next to my current Green Cobb. All of the above noted points are simply more apparent here. Unfortunately RGold tried to taste my current Cobb and left a couple of his "fang" marks on the left side of the background. His appetite saved me a few bucks.;) Thanks Ron:D

Hopefully, in addition to providing some entertainment as Cobb hits the road, this little tutorial will help "newer" collectors avoid some mistakes.

Also note the back of this card will be marked as the "Net54 Cobb" to prevent any future owner from trying to sell it as authentic.;)

Peter_Spaeth
08-31-2014, 08:55 AM
Frank, you really put some teeth into that analysis.

frankbmd
08-31-2014, 08:58 AM
No, Ron did.:D:D:D

Mountaineer1999
08-31-2014, 09:10 AM
Good stuff Frank... thanks for the tutorial.

Peter_Spaeth
08-31-2014, 09:38 AM
No, Ron did.:D:D:D

It was accidental.

BicycleSpokes
08-31-2014, 12:15 PM
Thank you Frank, your tutorial was most helpful!

exitmusicgreen
08-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Cobb + my A's-fueled love of green = :D

e107collector
08-31-2014, 02:24 PM
Pretty cool thread.

How can you not like the Green Cobb? What a great looking card.

Tony

wolf441
11-07-2014, 07:53 AM
I'm honored to be the first recipient of the dirTY fake GREEN COBB!! He'll be tagging along for some end of the summer fun on Cape Cod next weekend, pictures will follow... :D

Well, I've finally picked up the real McCoy (or Mc-COBB, as it were). For the bargain basement price of $5.01 including shipping, you can be the next lease-holder of the NET54 Green Cobb reprint. I've marked the back with our name to ensure that Mr. Cobb never winds up on ebay. The new lease-holder may feel free to add to the reverse as he/she sees fit.

Please PM me if you would like to be the next to hold this beauty! :D

wolf441
11-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Well, I've finally picked up the real McCoy (or Mc-COBB, as it were). For the bargain basement price of $5.01 including shipping, you can be the next lease-holder of the NET54 Green Cobb reprint. I've marked the back with our name to ensure that Mr. Cobb never winds up on ebay. The new lease-holder may feel free to add to the reverse as he/she sees fit.

Please PM me if you would like to be the next to hold this beauty! :D

C'mon folks..who wants to be the next holder of the Net54 Green Cobb placeholder for the low low price of $5.01 (including shipping!!!:D)

T206Collector
11-11-2014, 06:54 AM
On the reprint question, the staining around the edges and corners and the way the paper stock was fuzzy on the corners we're tell-tale signs for me. This card was artificially aged and soaked in tea or something akin. The damage from that soaking affected the edges and corners. I also didn't like the registration on the image -- looked like a copy -- and the quality of the green.