PDA

View Full Version : Awesome New Yorker Cover

ZenPop
08-30-2014, 11:39 AM
My buddy, Mark Ulriksen, has done another awesome cover for The New Yorker… and while I know this is the Pre-War thread, I wanted to share with you all…

Love this…

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm145/johnmav2/10659223_706869866033287_4212205412523741072_n-2.jpg

Matvoo
08-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Thats cool

HRBAKER
08-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Beautiful piece of work!

Paul S
08-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Makes no difference if pre or post, some things are timeless.

gregr2
08-30-2014, 12:11 PM
Very nicely done! Simple yet powerful.

sniffy5
08-30-2014, 12:18 PM
Very appropriate cover, seeing as Jeter is largely a creation of the media to begin with, and this is coming from a Yankee fan on Long Island!

GregMitch34
08-30-2014, 12:40 PM
Great but he should have also had him waving goodbye--to the Yanks' playoff chances partly due to the "classy" and "team-first" Jeter refusing to sit down or ask to bat 9th. He is literally among the 5 worst starting SS in all of baseball this year when you consider both his OPS, horrid, and his range factor, easily the worst in the majors. At least Drew can still field...

D. Bergin
08-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Great but he should have also had him waving goodbye--to the Yanks' playoff chances partly due to the "classy" and "team-first" Jeter refusing to sit down or ask to bat 9th. He is literally among the 5 worst starting SS in all of baseball this year when you consider both his OPS, horrid, and his range factor, easily the worst in the majors. At least Drew can still field...

So Jeter should ask to bench himself so Stephen (.167BA/.233OBP) Drew, can get more playing time?

They don't have anybody else on the roster to replace him, and they don't exactly have a killer line-up to correlate into more wins just by moving him to the bottom of the order.

The only guy they had who could have possibly replaced him was traded for Chase Headley, and he really wasn't a SS either.

Lastly, please name one veteran player who voluntarily took himself out of the line-up or moved himself down in the order. I saw Ripken bagged on for this same thing all the time at the end of his career, but all either guy did was act like a pro and do what came naturally to them until they could no longer do it. The mentality that helped them succeed in their younger years, is the same mentality that makes them continue to plug away, even after their skills have eroded.

GregMitch34
08-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Like I said, Drew at least can field the position--and though horrible is slugging pct. is still better than Jeter's. Jeter should at least be batting 8th, not 2nd.

Exhibitman
08-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Not jeters job to manage the team. If Girardi thinks he should sit he will bench him or move him around.

sniffy5
08-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Jeter runs the show, trust me. Jeter is the Yankee brand, Jeter fuels both the media and Yankee PR machine. Sells papers, jacks up advertising rates, justifies ticket prices ( in the mind of yank execs) so on and so forth... His hubris is encouraged by all operations around him. Solid player no doubt. Still waiting for that first batting title...

ZenPop
08-30-2014, 06:57 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm145/johnmav2/mark-ulriksen-the-new-yorker-cover-april-7-2008.jpg

Jay Wolt
08-30-2014, 11:42 PM
Cool Jeter cover
But what struck me odd is the cover price of $6.99
Guess I'm old school remembering magazines that cost a buck or two

freakhappy
08-30-2014, 11:55 PM
Cool Jeter cover
But what struck me odd is the cover price of $6.99
Guess I'm old school remembering magazines that cost a buck or two

Damn, Jay...this ain't 1980 anymore ;)

Jay Wolt
08-31-2014, 09:09 AM
Damn, Jay...this ain't 1980 anymore
Mike, ahhh, if only it was. Back in college things were a lot simplier

exitmusicgreen
08-31-2014, 12:40 PM
I interned at The New Yorker for a summer. Classy illustration for a classy magazine. : )

MikeGarcia
08-31-2014, 01:20 PM
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/2042957/view/1ANEWYORKER.JPG

.....I also collect baseball-themed magazine covers much to the delight of The WidowGarcia...

.... I remember doing exactly what this kid is doing , back when I was nine or ten , practicing for hours on end....because people were talking about a guy named Jackie Robinson doing it....

.... I only ever got to do it once and , and Ant Knee DeNunzio let me get away with it...... Thanks , Tony...

bobbvc
08-31-2014, 05:36 PM
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/2042957/view/1ANEWYORKER.JPG

.....I also collect baseball-themed magazine covers much to the delight of The WidowGarcia...

.... I remember doing exactly what this kid is doing , back when I was nine or ten , practicing for hours on end....because people were talking about a guy named Jackie Robinson doing it....

.... I only ever got to do it once and , and Ant Knee DeNunzio let me get away with it...... Thanks , Tony...

Now, THIS is a timeless cover.

ooo-ribay
08-31-2014, 08:06 PM
Lastly, please name one veteran player who voluntarily took himself out of the line-up or moved himself down in the order. I saw Ripken bagged on for this same thing all the time at the end of his career, but all either guy did was act like a pro and do what came naturally to them until they could no longer do it. The mentality that helped them succeed in their younger years, is the same mentality that makes them continue to plug away, even after their skills have eroded.

I'm in the minority who thought Ripken's whole streak was just a contrived and selfish thing (at least towards the end).

jerseygary
09-01-2014, 07:50 PM
I lived in Baltimore from 1988 to 1996 and I thought the whole Ripken streak did more to hurt the franchise than anything else. For more than a decade that whole organization was geared towards one man instead of building a good team that would do justice to the great fan base of Baltimore. The owners and Cal Jr must have made a fortune off of all the stupid "Working Class Hero" junk they sold, but the way I saw it they kept the O's out of serious contention for many years after the streak ended.

I don't see that at all with Jeter.