PDA

View Full Version : Is this Ruth postcard sketchy?

Louieman
08-29-2014, 04:16 PM
I've been after this postcard for a while and especially like this one b/c its been used

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181505767935&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

But I'm wondering about that right side of the postcard. The bottom right seems like it could be trimmed. And the characters seem closer to the edge than they do in other examples I've seen. I asked the seller if he could send another pic, maybe thinking the camera angle is the reason for its odd look, but he said he doesn't return from vacation until after the auction.

What do you guys think?

slidekellyslide
08-29-2014, 04:25 PM
Edited...I think the whole right side might be slightly trimmed off, but I don't know why they would do that to a card that is already pretty rough with a huge crease...it may have been done by a postcard collector years ago, but I doubt a baseball card collector would have done it to try and improve appearances.

pawpawdiv9
08-29-2014, 04:34 PM
neat story to the card, i havent seen one thats been used.

Leon
08-29-2014, 04:41 PM
The one I have hasn't been trimmed and has an uneven cut on one side (the other). None of the Japanese writing is missing from the right side on the one on ebay. My guess, don't hold me to it, is that it isn't trimmed. That being said I don't know if a grading company would give it a numerical grade with a funky cut so be careful if that is a concern.

GregMitch34
08-29-2014, 05:22 PM
Color seems weak, washed out. One I have is quite vivid--reason I have it.

swarmee
08-29-2014, 05:25 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Babe-Ruth-baseball-cigarette-card-tobacco-insert-RARE-RARE-409-/161404749624?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2594790738

I vote real; the image was also used on the tobacco card set I linked above.

pencil1974
08-29-2014, 07:48 PM
I think its fine, I've actually bought from this seller and the card I got was 100% legit. Mine was unused and he had it graded as a VG in his opinion and PSA gave it a 6. Only issue I had was it took 3 weeks to get to me from Japan but the trade off was worth it.

prestigecollectibles
08-29-2014, 08:35 PM
I have handled quite a few of these. It looks good to me. Unfortunately most Japanese people do not use scanners so it could have a condition issue not visible in the photo.

Louieman
08-29-2014, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! Now hopefully I can win it...

EvilKing00
08-30-2014, 10:05 AM
looks ok - a bit washed out - I was watching this seller who had one a while back which sold for - $166.51, I didn't end up bidding on it as I was skeptical that it was coming from japan. But he did get good feedback from the guy who bought it.

good luck

Sean
08-31-2014, 09:54 PM
So Louie, did you get the Ruth?

Louieman
08-31-2014, 11:19 PM
Nope. Did a last minute snipe attempt, but was a little short. But to be honest, I thought about it some more and wasn't really willing to commit too much to the postcard. Someone on the forum pointed out a giant crease I didn't see before, and compared to other Shonens it wasn't as vivid, as others said.

I've mentioned it before, but this is my favorite Ruth card (even though it isn't exactly a 'card')...so I want to really get a special one of these cards. I'll keep looking!

Leon
09-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Nope. Did a last minute snipe attempt, but was a little short. But to be honest, I thought about it some more and wasn't really willing to commit too much to the postcard. Someone on the forum pointed out a giant crease I didn't see before, and compared to other Shonens it wasn't as vivid, as others said.

I've mentioned it before, but this is my favorite Ruth card (even though it isn't exactly a 'card')...so I want to really get a special one of these cards. I'll keep looking!

Eventually you will be able to find one for the price this ended at, and without any wavy cut. And if you keep looking long enough you might get one for a lot cheaper as they can be miss-categorized sometimes or just go under the radar. Good luck...

Louieman
09-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Leon. Yeah, that Shonen is near the top of "dream cards" for me, so there's no real rush. Hopefully that opportunity pops up!