PDA

View Full Version : 1954 Red Heart questions.

almostdone
08-28-2014, 07:28 PM
A fellow member and friend of mine, Campyfan39 or Chris, and I have been doing a lot of talking about this set. I have told him for a few years about it and thought it was perfect for his style of collecting. At the time he was just focusing on Topps cards so there wasn't much interest. Lately he has had a growing interest and decided to pick up a few. Through our discussions my interest has grown as well.

We have a few questions though about the set and thought who better to ask than other members.

Does anyone know how player selection was done? There are 33 cards in the set and 11 turned out to be HOFers. One out of three is amazing.

All 16 of the teams in existence at the time are represented except the St. Louis Browns but the player distribution isn't close to even. A lot of Dodgers but only one Giant.

Any information about distribution, player and team selection, history, or really anything would be much appreciated.

I love this set because it has the lone mid 50s card of my period favorite, Stan Musial so the set overall fascinates me.

Thanks in advance to any and all input.

Drew

campyfan39
08-28-2014, 07:39 PM
Fondy, Baumholtz, Fain etc. very interesting the selection.
The MVP's the previous year was Campy and Berra and they are not in it.

flkersn
08-28-2014, 08:14 PM
I collected this set as a kid. You collected labels from Red Heart dog food cans and sent the in for a set of eleven cards. You could select which of the three sets you could use the labels to redeem. So, if you had a lot of big dogs you could get all 33 cards pretty easily. And they were in good shape because them came directly in the mail. (As opposed to the other odd ball set that year--the slimy Wilson Franks cards, which are rarely seen in good shape because they came in the hot dog packs.

Bill

campyfan39
08-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Bill,
That is great insight. I did not know the Wilson franks came in the hot dog packs that is so funny.
Just random but how many cans do you think you had to buy to get 11 cards? Any clue?
What I am wondering is how were the players selected and how did they get by with it given the wars between topps and Bowman.

HRBAKER
08-28-2014, 08:29 PM
Incredibly I am pretty sure you could write the company up until the mid-70s and still get these cards.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s172/hrbaker/AUTOS/54RHMusialautod_zps230e58fa.jpg

Griffins
08-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Jeff- I'm pretty sure that was true only of the blue and green series. At shows in the mid '70's dealers had stacks of those series in mint shape for a buck each, a few bucks more for stars, and about $5-10. for Mantle. The reds were always more and in lesser shape.

campyfan39
08-28-2014, 08:43 PM
Anthony,
Curious as to why the reds are scarcer.
Wow how cool to have been interested in cards back in the 70's. If only.....

HRBAKER
08-28-2014, 08:43 PM
Good info Anthony.
Never heard that the "Reds" were not part of that.
Thanks.

tim
08-28-2014, 10:28 PM
One interesting aspect of the Red Heart set is that each of the 3 colors comprises an All-Star-caliber "team." Within each color you have a pitcher, catcher, and a good mix of infielders and outfielders.

In addition to there being no Browns/Orioles in the set, there are also no Pirates.
--Tim

toppcat
08-29-2014, 05:03 AM
I find it amusing this set has a F designation in the ACC (F156). Really?!

steve B
08-29-2014, 07:18 AM
Short of giving the set it's own classification that's the closest one that works.

Steve B

mmcgruff
08-29-2014, 11:53 AM
Speaking of the red hearts, I would love to find an original dod food can label.
Saw one once years ago in an auction house but didn't pull the trigger fast enough. Good information guys, thanks.
Rick

toppcat
08-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Short of giving the set it's own classification that's the closest one that works.

Steve B

I would have gone with H myself, something in the 800's.

Volod
08-29-2014, 03:52 PM
Browns moved from St. Louis and became the Orioles after the '53 season. Not many - or any - high-profile players on the roster in '54, so they got short shrift. Not sure about all cases, but Topps and Bowman contracts were usually limited to gum cards, so players could appear on other products for the most part.

almostdone
09-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the info so far. I am starting to think about building this set someday. With 11 cards in each color it would make a beautiful display.
I just hate to think I would have to put out that kind of money for another 50's Mantle. Not a Mantle fan. I know I'm in the minority but buying Mantle is a necessary evil to me in set building.

Any it other info or in site on this set?
Drew

Exhibitman
09-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Fondy, Baumholtz, Fain etc. very interesting the selection.
The MVP's the previous year was Campy and Berra and they are not in it.

Al Rosen, actually, and he is in the set.

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous4/websize/1954%20Red%20Heart%20Rosen.JPG

jmoran19
09-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Im not too familar with this set but are the players included NOT part of the 1954 topps set? Def Mantle and Musial. If so they probably choose players who didnt have exclusive contracts with Topps

campyfan39
09-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Im not too familar with this set but are the players included NOT part of the 1954 topps set? Def Mantle and Musial. If so they probably choose players who didnt have exclusive contracts with Topps

I know a few are in the 54 topps set. Snider for sure, Ashburn, Kluszewski, Rosen etc.

CobbvLajoie1910
09-02-2014, 07:30 PM
I know a few are in the 54 topps set. Snider for sure, Ashburn, Kluszewski, Rosen etc.

Baumholtz...