PDA

View Full Version : PSA name standardization for autographs?

swarmee
08-28-2014, 03:11 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOBBY-JONES-GOLF-SIGNED-PSA-DNA-3X5-INDEX-CARD-AUTOGRAPH-AUTHENTIC-/361025287714?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item540ec8b622

So here's a really visually unappealing autograph of golf legend Bobby Jones. Since he's so well known (and there are other Bobby Jones: Mets 1990s and Sixers 1970s), why aren't his autographs listed as "Robert Tyre Jones, Jr" in the flip? His father Bob Jones was a famous preacher, lawyer, etc as well; and Robert Trent Jones designed many golf courses and probably signed autographs as well.

So why slab an autograph this ugly as certified without spelling out which "Bob Jones" this is? I almost emailed the guy to ask if it was Bobby's dad or Trent, or some completely different Bob Jones. I realize that he's got a common name, but I would recommend that PSA start slabbing future items using some standard, and offer to reholder those that are (un?)intentionally confusing like this one.

What say ye?

Duluth Eskimo
08-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Well, Kirk is on this board so maybe he will answer. Although, I doubt it because what PSA labels it is completely out of his control.

I understand your frustration if you are searching for Bobby Jones signed items, but he signed many different ways thoughout his career. Technically he is best known as Bobby Jones same as the baseball and basketball player. I would rather they list a sport with the players name on the flip

swarmee
08-28-2014, 03:46 PM
That would be reasonable too, but Robert Trent Jones would still cause confusion. Maybe DoBs? Those are on most sports cards already. Or did they stop doing that in the 90s? Easy to find on baseball-reference.com and the like.

Klrdds
08-28-2014, 03:54 PM
This Bobby Jones autograph is from later in life when he was suffering from a severely debilitating disease known as syringomyelia which affected his life and consequently his signature for the last 10 or so years of his life.
All Bobby Jones collectors know that this is his signature from later in life, it is much more common and less expensive than his pre - illness signatures when he commonly signed his full given name. Most collectors will try to get an earlier vintage pre-illness signature for the same reasons you are concerned with ... the unattractiveness of his signature later in life.
As far as Robert Trent Jones he has repeatedly signed only as Robert Trent Jones, as far as I know. This was done to distinguish himself from Robert Tyre Jones, the golfer.
The other Bobby Joneses have nothing in common with the above Jones' except first and last names.
I guess PSA figures that we should know the signatures we are buying and who is who.

khw
08-28-2014, 08:29 PM
man i am glad somebody brought this up that autograph went to upper deck last week , in a new project i think paired with jordan or tiger woods , this was actually from a book signed by jones and it was 1968 inside book had a sheet with all the members of his country club , but nobody wants a signed book sooo 3x5 , had it maybe 3 years coudnt give it away , hence i added to the upper deck set , no i do not have any control over what they put on labels it is a joke , just in a big hurry on a side note look at my feedback today ona larry walker ball, guy buys it and runs the cert shows up on psa as andre dawson and without calling leaves a neutral psa strikes again, called him had psa change it and neutral removed .so dont ever be surprised

khw
08-28-2014, 08:33 PM
oh to answer the original question comment... you are 100% correct , same thing for bill russell i see the dodger offered as basetball bill , and a tough one mike marshall the hard dodger vs mike marshall the easy dodger . but again this would require some effort and actual caring

HRBAKER
08-28-2014, 08:46 PM
......and now, back to the Ole Miss football game?

swarmee
08-29-2014, 04:44 AM
oh to answer the original question comment... you are 100% correct , same thing for bill russell i see the dodger offered as basetball bill , and a tough one mike marshall the hard dodger vs mike marshall the easy dodger . but again this would require some effort and actual caring

Thanks; yeah, I wasn't questioning the authenticity at all; just saying that it makes it hard to search for properly and can create confusion from uninitiated collectors. I know the Bobby Jones story and have watched "Stroke of Genius." But I also know that there is a Bob Jones University and why would they foment confusion when none needs to take place? I would figure since they've got all these set registries and such that they would want a standardized practice.

I notice you've ended the listing; you no longer had it in inventory since you sent it to Upper Deck? Does that mean it will become a cut signature embedded in a card in the near future?

khw
08-29-2014, 09:25 AM
Thanks; yeah, I wasn't questioning the authenticity at all; just saying that it makes it hard to search for properly and can create confusion from uninitiated collectors. I know the Bobby Jones story and have watched "Stroke of Genius." But I also know that there is a Bob Jones University and why would they foment confusion when none needs to take place? I would figure since they've got all these set registries and such that they would want a standardized practice.

I notice you've ended the listing; you no longer had it in inventory since you sent it to Upper Deck? Does that mean it will become a cut signature embedded in a card in the near future?

exactly should be out this spring i guess

Runscott
08-29-2014, 09:41 AM
man i am glad somebody brought this up that autograph went to upper deck last week , in a new project i think paired with jordan or tiger woods , this was actually from a book signed by jones and it was 1968 inside book had a sheet with all the members of his country club , but nobody wants a signed book sooo 3x5 , had it maybe 3 years coudnt give it away , hence i added to the upper deck set , no i do not have any control over what they put on labels it is a joke , just in a big hurry on a side note look at my feedback today ona larry walker ball, guy buys it and runs the cert shows up on psa as andre dawson and without calling leaves a neutral psa strikes again, called him had psa change it and neutral removed .so dont ever be surprised

Here, let me help you:

.....,,,,,,,,,.......;;;;;;;........ABCDEFGHIJKLMN OPQRSTUVWXYZ IIIIIIIIIII

khw
08-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Here, let me help you:

.....,,,,,,,,,.......;;;;;;;........ABCDEFGHIJKLMN OPQRSTUVWXYZ IIIIIIIIIII

nice to see you have something to offer , refreshing, i can hire you to do my typing , we all have to be good at something , now we know

Runscott
08-29-2014, 11:14 AM
I also tie my shoes, wear matching socks, put down the toilet seat, etc. Admittedly, all take extra seconds.

khw
08-29-2014, 11:50 AM
I also tie my shoes, wear matching socks, put down the toilet seat, etc. Admittedly, all take extra seconds.

nobody comes here to read that, dont embarrass yourself , the internet lurker who the only thing they have to add, is look for spelling and punctuation mistakes and the occasional 15th post to concur they agree with somebody elses response it was good or bad , shame on you , but i have better things to do than play message board war

gashouse34
08-29-2014, 12:20 PM
Since this is off topic a little, I have a question for you Kirk. I've always wondered if you are a collector as well as a dealer? I've seen some impressive items you've had for sale over the years and wondered if you are ever tempted to keep any of them:) I've purchased quite a few things from you in the past (as i'm sure others here have as well) and will continue to do so. Best of luck with your future sales, Brandon

Runscott
08-29-2014, 12:34 PM
nobody comes here to read that, dont embarrass yourself , the internet lurker who the only thing they have to add, is look for spelling and punctuation mistakes and the occasional 15th post to concur they agree with somebody elses response it was good or bad , shame on you , but i have better things to do than play message board war

Yes, I've been lurking here for years, rarely typing anything except when I want to agree with someone else's post. Oh, and I'm constantly correcting people's grammar. You nailed it.

khw
08-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Since this is off topic a little, I have a question for you Kirk. I've always wondered if you are a collector as well as a dealer? I've seen some impressive items you've had for sale over the years and wondered if you are ever tempted to keep any of them:) I've purchased quite a few things from you in the past (as i'm sure others here have as well) and will continue to do so. Best of luck with your future sales, Brandon

you know not really i guess it started that way before 1986 then like always it became a business and after seeing the stuff everyday you start looking at it in a different light , i look at it now like what i have is my collection , i am excited to get , and it is mine until it sells . i have the scan from about everything i have and sold. so when i see something cool i like such as a red baron signature it is like i am buying for my collection, and whoever buys it will enjoy it next and i buy so much there is always a new piece here , i have around 2400 pieces not listed that we are working on. but i find i am more interested in historical pieces than buying sports because i have had so many of them , just another ruth, vs red baron , to me no brainer on which is more significant , thanks again and hope to see you around