PDA

View Full Version : Reproducing Pennants

Nashvol
08-26-2014, 01:20 PM
I need insight on reproducing pennants.

I have 3 different pennants for the Nashville Vols/Sulphur Dell, all from around 1958-1961. These can be reproduced at a reasonable cost, and am leaning towards doing so because so many people write to me asking where they can purchase one and I don't believe there are a lot of these around.

I would print something on each one (probably my web site address, not sure yet) to differentiate that these are not to be confused with existing vintage pennants. I am not interested in devaluing any that collectors may have, but simply for the reason stated above.

Cost would be around $30.00. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Skip

ooo-ribay
08-26-2014, 01:30 PM
If you think there's a market, I think it's a great idea. I would love to have reproductions of the 5-10 SF Giants pennants I am missing and will probably never find. :(

Louieman
08-26-2014, 01:32 PM
I'd second that, on the Giants pennants too!

Bill Rayburn
08-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Skip...I would think with the opening of the new stadium at Sulphur Dell next year it would be a great opportunity an and increased interest in this historic baseball site.

perezfan
08-26-2014, 03:42 PM
Great idea...

The pennants being made today are basically crap, so some high quality repros would make great commemoratives. And the classic Felt Pennant really is the quintessential baseball souvenir.

If you do proceed, please just be sure of 2 things...

1. Make sure that the disclaimer or web address isn't removable or easily altered. A lot of those higher-quality Mitchell & Ness Repros are still being sold as original (on ebay and elsewhere).

2. Be sure to post final result here.... would love to see how these turn out :)

redskinsnut
08-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Count me in on the great idea sentiments. I have been looking for dead ball era pennants and there is nothing out there.

perezfan
08-27-2014, 12:32 AM
Yes- they have completely dried up.

They're rarely even in the premium catalog auctions anymore :(

Duluth Eskimo
08-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Yes- they have completely dried up.

They're rarely even in the premium catalog auctions anymore :(

It must be pretty damp at your house then.......

perezfan
08-29-2014, 02:30 AM
It must be pretty damp at your house then.......

Well it is the Seattle area ;)

Nashvol
08-29-2014, 06:51 AM
I'll update here once I receive my initial run. I am still deciding how to "mark" these since they will be replicas.

I am wary if reproducing pennants from the past for MLB clubs dye to trademark/copyright infringement. Anyone have expertise in this area?

Thanks for the comments, PMs and encouragement!

Skip

murphusa
08-29-2014, 07:52 AM
getting anything in reference to copyrights from MLB will cost you a fortune.

There pretty much have one on every team ever, forever

But just did a quick look up and the name, Nashville Vols or Volunteers is not listed in the Tennessee Corporate name search

So for $20.00 you may be able to get it.

Nashvol
08-29-2014, 09:39 AM
I own trademarks through the state of Tennessee Secretary of State. The pennants I am reproducing will actually have "tm" on them, where the originals did not.

I would not think of reproducing anything that would come remotely close to infringement. After working in the Licensed Products field for over 40 years, I have seen my share of infringements and want no part of it.

ooo-ribay
08-29-2014, 01:42 PM
I would not think of reproducing anything that would come remotely close to infringement. After working in the Licensed Products field for over 40 years, I have seen my share of infringements and want no part of it.

Aw, c'mon.....we wouldn't rat you out. :D

Seriously, though.....I have a couple hundred NY and SF Giants pennants. I think only a small percentage were put out by the team....the rest seem to be more likely one offs from any number of long gone entrepreneurs.

Nashvol
08-29-2014, 02:03 PM
No doubt.

I don't want to be among their company, and as far away from it as possible.

mjkm90
08-29-2014, 02:39 PM
The word reproduction and the year of manufacture must be PAINTED on the back so it can't be removed like a tag. Some permanent marking is the only way I would want any part of these. Anything can be aged artificially, so please please please make it exceedingly difficult to hide the origin of every piece.

murphusa
08-29-2014, 10:43 PM
I own trademarks through the state of Tennessee Secretary of State. The pennants I am reproducing will actually have "tm" on them, where the originals did not.

Tell that to mlb