PDA

View Full Version : Ballpark value on these baseball silks ?

Qcards
08-26-2014, 07:37 AM
I am not really familiar with these and am wondering what is a realistic retail value given that they are all sewn on to a sheet?

There are several Hall of Famers among the 66 silks, including Ty Cobb, Cy Young, Christy Mathewson.

Thanks, Mike

71buc
08-26-2014, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=Qcards;1314497]I am not really familiar with these and am wondering what is a realistic retail value given that they are all sewn on to a sheet?

There are several Hall of Famers among the 66 silks, including Ty Cobb, Cy Young, Christy Mathewson.

Thanks, Mike

I cannot guess as to their value individually but I think collectively sewn together like that they are spectacular!

Leon
08-26-2014, 08:00 AM
Personally I don't think there is a ton of value except for the display piece the way it is. If they were individual and not sewn they would be worth a lot more. My guess, and this is just a guess, is that the whole item is worth a few hundred dollars to maybe five hundred at most.

bn2cardz
08-26-2014, 08:26 AM
I would love to have something like that. It may be worth less that way but it makes a very neat display and they were used the way they were meant to be used.

1880nonsports
08-26-2014, 09:40 AM
I've seen a few of these with baseball, more often with flags, indians, and actresses. Value based on folk art appeal as the silks themselves are all damaged (to the silk collector). Framing would enhance the aethetics. I figure 250. about right...........

Matvoo
08-26-2014, 10:31 AM
I like it
Put it in a frame and display it

baez578
08-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Very nice piece!

buymycards
08-26-2014, 11:11 AM
That is a great item and I would rather have something like that than to have the individual silks.

I think the $ estimates are right on. Depending on the auction, anywhere from $250 to $500.

I was thinking of making something similar with felts.

Really cool item and thanks for showing it.

Rick

Econteachert205
08-26-2014, 11:26 AM
considering I'd be in for 250 and am really cheap, I'd say it's closer to 400-500.

ullmandds
08-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Nice item...that would do well on the bst/auction area!

Centauri
08-26-2014, 11:53 AM
I am with others as to how cool that is, though I think you guys are way underestimating the value. I could see it go as high as $1000 or more, and would sell in minutes at $500.

buymycards
08-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Did the old sewing machines have these types of zig-zag patterns, or is it hand sewn? Perhaps this was pieced together well after 1911?

Rick

ctownboy
08-26-2014, 01:57 PM
buymycards,

I hope you don't decide to ruin some felts (especially sports) to make one of these for yourself. If you look around you can find these already completed.

When I was looking for felts and silks in the 1990's, most of the ones done with cross stitching like this were hand sewn and not machine stitched. I certainly hope that someone has recently done this and taken valuable silks and decreased the value by sewing them onto this piece of cloth and making it appear old in hopes that they could get big dollars from it.

David

bbcard1
08-26-2014, 02:06 PM
My rough guess would be a minimum $660, thinking of each silk as being worth $10 a throw. I have "disassembled" a not nearly as nice piece before with some success, though the puncture marks from the needles clearly show and has the net effect of being like a card having a small hole it it. They are also very susceptible to unraveling, especially after they have been sown.

bigfanNY
08-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Very Nice display item and with the Cobb and Matty I think that the $1,000 -$1500.00 range is retail on this. As Leon pointed out as single silks (Really Satins) they have more value. But it is rare to come across one that is all baseball as others have said many of these (Quilts) were made up of a variety of actresses generals indigenous people etc. Nice Item that looks great displayed. Good luck with it.

J

ctownboy
08-26-2014, 02:51 PM
When I looked for these in the 1990's. I usually found them at antique stores or shows. I once also went to a quilt show.

A person there had some individual pieces that she said she would sell to me but later, when I called her, she had decided to sew them into a project she was making :(.

At one antique show, I found a dealer who owned a LARGE quilt that had over 130 B 18's blankets sewn around the edge with other, different types of felts sewn towards the center piece (which was a large American flag). I bought that for $600 dollars and was going to keep it for display. However, once I got it home, it was too large for the wall I was going to hang it on. So, I decided to sell it (and made a really good profit off it).

At another, smaller show, I found this pillow cover. Nice condition, smaller and easier to display and store, plus it has Joe Jackson....

David

swarmee
08-26-2014, 05:53 PM
Put me in the camp that says "Over $500".

soccersaver97
08-26-2014, 08:24 PM
Put me in the camp that says "Over $500".

I agree!

1880nonsports
08-27-2014, 11:14 AM
flannels are more forgiving than silks. The individual silks have lost their commodity/collector value due to the significant damage. It's value is as a folk art display. I agree it would look great framed. I have a smaller but similar piece and enjoy it but surprised by the number of people who put the value OVER 500.. The sky isn't falling but most collectibles that aren't of the highest caliber are selling at a fraction of the inflated early 2000's. As in impulse buy this might find a buyer for a few hundred dollars but think in excess of 500. is a bit of a stretch. One never knows on a thinly traded collectible "art piece" whose interest will be piqued and in an auction setting anything can happen...........

Tao_Moko
08-27-2014, 11:46 AM
This is more about finding the right buyer. I love the fact that the Cubs are lined up on the top rows while that ol' gnarly Tiger Cobb is on the bottom. Cool display piece with a lot of HOFers. Framed and matted properly could increase the selling potential for a man cave. It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for close to a thousand. It's value is almost certaianly in the art and display.

Hankphenom
08-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Somewhere between one and two grand, I'd guess.

Qcards
09-29-2014, 10:18 AM
Thanks to everyone for all of the information on these silks and I have posted them in the BST area.