PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Dodgers Spring Training Ball - Can't Identify 4

aphanna25
08-25-2014, 08:22 PM
In 1991 I received a nice gift from a family friend (longtime scout Tim Thompson), an autographed baseball that he had sent around the Dodgers one day during Spring Training of that year. The ball has 19 signatures, and I've been able to identify 15 of them as being active players/coaches/advisors on the 91 team. However, the final 4 I am stumped on. Three of the remaining 4 names are somewhat legible, but I can't tie them back to anyone who was a major league or minor league player from the organization in 91. Is there a resource I can use online which has coaches from A/AA/AAA etc.? The big club has a ton of resources, but digging up coaching info on the 1991 Bakersfield Dodgers A+ club is hard to find. One of the signers is legendary USC coach Rod Dedeaux who must've been visiting buddy Tom Lasorda on this day and just signed the ball. Perhaps these 4 sigs are just clubhouse kids or visitors but I'm generally interested in exhausting all possible leads first. Any suggestions? Thanks.

whitehse
08-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Maybe post a clear, decent picture of the sigs in question. there are many experts here that can help

aphanna25
09-08-2014, 08:26 PM
Ok, here goes:

Photo 1: Anyone recognize the bottom signature, looks like someone with the last name of "Scott"?

Photo 2: Anyone recognize the two signers between Jim Gott and John Candelaria? One is clearly an "Eddie" (Doesn't look like Murray, who was on that team). The other one looks something like a "Matt Z"?

Photo 3: Anyone recognize the signer at the top, overstriking the Rawlings logo?

These are all probably longshots, but I know the readers and contributors here are highly skilled at such things. Thanks!

dgo71
09-09-2014, 12:56 AM
The top one is Greg Smith, utility infielder with L.A. and Chicago.

aphanna25
09-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Boom! Nicely done. Did a quick auto search and it's dead on. Thanks a lot!