PDA

View Full Version : Card Vanished While In USPS Facility; If You See This For Sale, Please Holla.

MattyC
08-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Hey Fellas,

So I went to the post office to claim a package containing my beloved 1950 Bowman Jackie Robinson SGC 4.5 today, and lo and behold I was handed a slit open bubble mailer wrapped in an official USPS plastic bag. On this bag was written the words, "WE CARE," followed by a letter apologizing for what happened to the parcel. On the parcel was also written, "RECEIVED OPEN WITH NO CONTENTS," by the Postal Manager. I was told by my friendly and solid USPS guy that what likely transpired was this: at the origination point, in the processing facility, some larcenous worker saw the package was marked as from eBAY and INSURED. He said this is often tantamount to writing STEAL ME on the package.

The seller was amazing and has agreed to a full refund upon receipt of the returned package; we spoke at length on the phone, and he could not have been more affable or quick to remedy the situation. That said, would be great to one day get the card. So on the slim chance anyone here sees it offered somewhere, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will alert the seller/owner in that event and see what we can do. Thanks...

Best,

Matt

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/mattianc/the-collection/19248/1950-bowman-jackie-robinson

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx58/mattianc/_57_zpsdbea9b15.jpg

Matvoo
08-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Oh thats sucks
Hopefully you guys will eventually recover it back

gnaz01
08-23-2014, 04:29 PM
Hey Fellas,

So I went to the post office to claim a package containing my beloved 1950 Bowman Jackie Robinson SGC 4.5 today, and lo and behold I was handed a slit open bubble mailer wrapped in an official USPS plastic bag. On this bag was written the words, "WE CARE," followed by a letter apologizing for what happened to the parcel. On the parcel was also written, "RECEIVED OPEN WITH NO CONTENTS," by the Postal Manager. I was told by my friendly and solid USPS guy that what likely transpired was this: at the origination point, in the processing facility, some larcenous worker saw the package was marked as from eBAY and INSURED. He said this is often tantamount to writing STEAL ME on the package.

The seller was amazing and has agreed to a full refund upon receipt of the returned package; we spoke at length on the phone, and he could not have been more affable or quick to remedy the situation. That said, would be great to one day get the card. So on the slim chance anyone here sees it offered somewhere, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will alert the seller/owner in that event and see what we can do. Thanks...

Best,

Matt

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/mattianc/the-collection/19248/1950-bowman-jackie-robinson

THE EXACT reason whenever I sell a high dollar card, I don't put it in a bubble mailer. It goes into a USPS Priority Mail small flat rate box!! They are free and durable.

This sucks Matt, will keep an eye out.

Greg

iwantitiwinit
08-23-2014, 04:33 PM
So many unscrupulous people out there its getting to the point where if a package gets delivered its more of a surprise than if it gets stolen. It really sucks. I always insure things now, due to the cost of insurance I usualy insure for a lot less than the value of whats in the package because it necessitates the package gets more attention than uninsured or simply return receipt items. Insurance didnt help much in this process though.

Buythatcard
08-23-2014, 04:37 PM
That sucks. Had a similar experience a few months ago when the tracking details said that my package has left the sorting facility and it never arrived at my house. Package contained about 80 cards worth about $3,000. Luckily, seller was insured.

I have continued to do business with this seller since then but we no longer use our business names in the return and sending address. So far, the packages have been arriving since we did that. The less info that we put on our packages, then the less of a chance it will be stolen from some dirtbag,

I will keep my eye open for your card. If the thief is going to sell it, then more than likely they will put it on eBay or Craigslist.

Peter_Spaeth
08-23-2014, 04:49 PM
A postal worker can tell by the amount of postage (approximately anyhow) how much a package is insured for, so what's the difference whether something else is written on the outside?

insccollectibles
08-23-2014, 04:58 PM
I had two cards I sent to a buyer stolen in the same manner. I never heard anything back from my complaint to USPS.

pawpawdiv9
08-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Sad to hear MattyC,
Thats why i always use USPS priorty flate rate boxes...my 48/49 Jackie arrived the other day (that i posted post-war) had came in a bubble-mailer too. My first thought, Who the heck puts a 1k+ card in a bubble mailer, and this guy was a dealer too. I mean, i sent mine in a box, i expect the same in return.
I defintly be watching for ya MattyC.

Runscott
08-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Sad to hear MattyC,
Thats why i always use USPS priorty flate rate boxes...my 48/49 Jackie arrived the other day (that i posted post-war) had came in a bubble-mailer too. My first thought, Who the heck puts a 1k+ card in a bubble mailer, and this guy was a dealer too. I mean, i sent mine in a box, i expect the same in return.
I defintly be watching for ya MattyC.

Did it arrive safely? That would have been the first thought for most people.

There is nothing inherently wrong with shipping cards in bubble mailers, regardless of value. In fact, if they are supported well within the mailer, they are less conspicuous than a flat-rate box and may even be safer. My goal is to keep costs as low as possible while providing good service - sometimes that means a box, sometimes it doesn't. And before you get angry with sellers because you don't see 'insured' on the package, please keep in mind that a lot of sellers do their best to keep down costs while providing good service, and that includes either self-insuring or purchasing blanket insurance that covers items in-transit. None of this should matter to you, as long as the item arrives safely.

Buythatcard
08-23-2014, 05:51 PM

There is nothing inherently wrong with shipping cards in bubble mailers, regardless of value. In fact, if they are supported well within the mailer, they are less conspicuous than a flat-rate box and may even be safer. My goal is to keep costs as low as possible while providing good service - sometimes that means a box, sometimes it doesn't. And before you get angry with sellers because you don't see 'insured' on the package, please keep in mind that a lot of sellers do their best to keep down costs while providing good service, and that includes either self-insuring or purchasing blanket insurance that covers items in-transit. None of this should matter to you, as long as the item arrives safely.

Scott, well said!

nsaddict
08-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Sorry this happened Matt, but your title is NOT fact. While I'm sure it does happen, it's a tiny percentage. The processing machinery has a much higher chance of being the culprit than theft when a card (or anything else) becomes separated from it's bubble mailer. Sometimes letters show up "received without contents" it could be the machinery and other times the sender never sealed it properly. Every item does come in contact with many hands and machines along the way. Have you continued to follow up with with USPS including pictures?

tbob
08-23-2014, 06:33 PM
Hey Fellas,

Best,

Matt

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx58/mattianc/_57_zpsdbea9b15.jpg

Matt- don't hold your breath, I've waited 15 years for a complete set of E98s which disappeared in the Memphis USPS facility.
tbob

Econteachert205
08-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Someone slit open my mail two days ago and took a t205 mullin. Savages.

ynnek4
08-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Matt- don't hold your breath, I've waited 15 years for a complete set of E98s which disappeared in the Memphis USPS facility.
tbob

Ouch!:(

MattyC
08-23-2014, 08:58 PM
Sorry this happened Matt, but your title is NOT fact. While I'm sure it does happen, it's a tiny percentage. The processing machinery has a much higher chance of being the culprit than theft when a card (or anything else) becomes separated from it's bubble mailer. Sometimes letters show up "received without contents" it could be the machinery and other times the sender never sealed it properly. Every item does come in contact with many hands and machines along the way. Have you continued to follow up with with USPS including pictures?

Richard,

Good point and I apologize; I was going off of what my Post Office guy told me was likely the case, but it is not fact-- I have adjusted the title of the thread accordingly.

Thanks for all the good vibes, obviously not end of the world stuff but figured it could not hurt to put the word out among fellow collectors. It's a small world and ya never know.

calvindog
08-23-2014, 09:08 PM
This is a crazy story -- I had no idea this sort of thing actually happens.

As an aside, the other day I received a letter sent regular mail from a client with a large check inside -- and the envelope was completely slit open from side to side -- with the check still there. Crazy.

Runscott
08-23-2014, 09:18 PM
This is a crazy story -- I had no idea this sort of thing actually happens.

As an aside, the other day I received a letter sent regular mail from a client with a large check inside -- and the envelope was completely slit open from side to side -- with the check still there. Crazy.

Jeff, I have that happen commonly with envelopes, but the goods are always present.

Knock on wood, but I've never had anything stolen by the post office. There are ways to discourage people from opening your packages, but that fact has been lost in this thread. People get hung up on the special USPS-sanctioned box thing with all the wonderful USPS emblems and markings all over it, but in reality, their boxes are just boxes. Fools can screw up any tool.

slidekellyslide
08-24-2014, 07:48 AM
A postal worker can tell by the amount of postage (approximately anyhow) how much a package is insured for, so what's the difference whether something else is written on the outside?

If it's shipped through ebay's click n ship option you can hide the amount of postage on the package...it will just say $0.00.

buymycards
08-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Hi Matt, what happened to your package really sucks. There really is no good excuse for it. The machines are designed to handle packages, so even though it was probably machine damage, it should not have happened. If it was stolen, the thief eventually gets caught and maybe your card will be recovered. With more and more part time, low paid, no benefit employees, it seems like we are seeing a LOT more instances of employees stealing stamps, money orders, and mail.

Work with the Postmaster and make sure that he/she contacts the mail recovery center in Atlanta, which is where all of the loose items end up. Make sure the Postmaster contacts the lost and found/loose in mails department at the local processing plant. Insist on dealing with the Postmaster, not anyone else. Make sure the Postmaster contacts the Postal Inspection Service, and ask for copies of all emails and correspondence in regard to your case.

Just so you know, over the past few years I have mailed hundreds of packages, mostly first class, with very few problems. However, about a month ago I needed to send an Express Mail to my son in Colorado. When the package was received in Alamosa, (it took 3 days), it looked like it was run over by a fork lift. The package was opened and the contents were missing. I contacted everyone one that was involved in the process and I raised a lot of hell, but nothing ever turned up. I am still REALLY pissed off.

If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know, but I'm not sure how much I can do.

Rick

ZenPop
08-24-2014, 11:09 PM
...that's a beautiful card... and this is coming from a die-hard Giants' fan.

The '50 set is absolutely glorious. I hope you recover your card in swift fashion.

Republicaninmass
08-25-2014, 06:42 AM
Any package that says "eBay" or any address with 'sportscards' might add well say steal me. As a high insured amount and that is just more temptation

MattyC
08-25-2014, 07:50 AM
Yeah, when you think about it, the shipping label said ebay and 'insured,' on it.
It did not say the postage amount, just "postage paid," by a Pitney Bowes machine.

However it did also contain the ebay seller's ebay ID.

All an enterprising and quick-witted thief would need to do is whip out his smart phone and look up the seller's ID on ebay, and see they deal in sports cards. Then the thief would be reasonably certain of the contents, and do the deed.

Gary Dunaier
08-25-2014, 11:58 AM
in the processing facility, some larcenous worker saw the package was marked as from eBAY and INSURED. He said this is often tantamount to writing STEAL ME on the package.

There is no practical reason for the label to mention Ebay (or Pay Pal, for that matter). It's just advertising. A conscientious seller would remove them from the label before affixing it to the package.

Runscott
08-25-2014, 12:08 PM
There is no practical reason for the label to mention Ebay (or Pay Pal, for that matter). It's just advertising. A conscientious seller would remove them from the label before affixing it to the package.

Thanks for the advice Gary. Any further suggestions for sellers? :rolleyes:

chernieto
08-25-2014, 12:39 PM

I agree with Scott here. I may be in the minority , but the USPS has not lost or stolen anything coming or going to my humble abode.
Hopefully that card will turn up and N54 folks will find out their either in it's case or out. Sorry for the loss- I love that card!
Paul C

Runscott
08-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Scott and Paul agree? :eek: very good!

Reading this thread, it looks like most of us don't realize how much total crap is bought and sold on ebay. It isn't just FANTASTIC vintage baseball cards. If postal workers ripped open all the packages with ebay labels on them, hoping to score a Jackie Robinson rookie, they would have no time to work.