PDA

View Full Version : New 1961 Variation

JollyElm
08-22-2014, 10:28 PM
I'll preface this by saying I'm guessing this variation hasn't already been ferreted out in the past, so forgive me if someone has already planted their flag on this mountain.

I noticed something a while ago on my 1961 Topps #471 card highlighting Phil Rizzuto's MVP year and thought I'd showcase it here.

On a small percentage of these cards, the top white border has a distinct and ragged black line running across it. The first thought on seeing this is the assumption that it is the bottom of the card being printed above it on the sheet (or something along those lines), but that's not the case. There really is no rhyme or reason for it being there.

I've shown two examples of this anomaly here (follow the red arrow). The second one is a little tougher to see, because it appears extremely close to the very top of the card, but it is clearly evident. In the third image, I'm showing a 'regular' version of the card with plenty of white space at the top, so you can see that this line isn't the result of bad cropping or anything. It simply only appears on a small number of these cards. (All pics are from ebay.)

Not a major discovery by any means, but it's definitely one to add to your comprehensive V & E lists. Enjoy!!

savedfrommyspokes
08-23-2014, 03:44 PM
As always Darren, nice job spotting this.

nolemmings
08-23-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm not into variations but I am curious as to why this is considered as one when a virtually identical line on the bottom of Bobby Bolin is not?

JollyElm
08-23-2014, 07:21 PM
I'm not into variations but I am curious as to why this is considered as one when a virtually identical line on the bottom of Bobby Bolin is not?

Well, the term 'variations' is used loosely. It doesn't actually denote anything 'official.' With this Rizzuto, there are two distinct versions of the printed card (with and without that line), so people who track down things like that can now add it to their list. If you have examples of the Bolin anomaly you're talking about, post some pics. A lot of people are interested in collecting newly found variations.

nolemmings
08-23-2014, 07:51 PM
OK. Please look at post 49 on this thread:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=165763&highlight=bolin
concerning this card:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1961-Topps-449-Bob-Bolin-RC-EX-EX-P259448-/00/s/NTk2WDQ0Ng==/$(KGrHqR,!p!F!Q2nVkjyBQTok9,(dg~~60_3.JPG

JollyElm
08-23-2014, 08:59 PM
I think in that thread I was referring more to the filled in 'P' in 'Pitcher ' and the excess black ink. That's something that happens all the time in print runs when there's too much ink. With the black line at bottom, though, much like the Rizzuto shown in this thread, it's noteworthy as the card does appear with and without that specific element. It's not simply ink that spilled over.

What's funny is how similar those black lines look. Since they are card numbers 449 and 471, I wonder if the Bolin was placed above the Rizzuto on the sheet and that's why it appears on top of some versions of the Scooter and on the bottom of some versions of Bolin??

And again, like the Rizzuto, I found an example of the card that has a lot of white space where the line would occasionally appear, so it's not a result of cropping or what not…

As minor as it is, it still counts as a variation. I guess I change my vote from that previous thread.

nolemmings
08-23-2014, 09:16 PM
Agreed. I too wondered if they were contiguous on the sheet. I've seen several sheets from '61, but do not recall that one. Curious place for a stray line either way.